12Next >
6851 52 2017-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

Of all the freedoms and features we are losing, could DJI please allow us to adjust the AEB bracketing range?
Could all the pilots here who would appreciate this functionality chime in for this feature request?
Personally I would like a wider range of AEB bracketing shots.

Also a question while I'm at it. When taking AEB shots, after hitting the trigger you hear rapid shutter clicks for either 3 or 5 clicks depending on your setting. Right after the clicks you see the progress wheel on the screen rotate for a few seconds. Are the photos done being exposed at the end of the clicks or after the progress wheel quits? Just curious if it's critical to keep the aircraft perfectly still during the progress wheel or if it's ok to move after the shutter clicks?

2017-8-31
Use props
KEDDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Yes that would be nice with the possibility to ajust in full 1 stop steps.
2017-8-31
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I agree, That would be a nice feature to have.
2017-8-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The photos are taken quickly but take time to write to the SD card.
2017-9-1
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

I'd love it to be adjustable. +/- 0.3 of a stop is not particularly useful in situations where I'd normally (on a DSLR) resort to AEB.

That said, the EXIF data attached to Phantom4pro shots is extremely confusing. If I take 3 bracketed shots, for example, the f-stop, aperture and exposure time remain the same. This isn't how AEB bracketing works... on any other camera in the world the exposure time would change for each shot. The only difference between the three shots is that the exposure bias is different for each of them. This made me wonder if there was some trickery involved. Three photos, in this example, certainly are taken and can easily be proven by taking a bracketed shot of a moving subject. But does exposure time change for each shot? I'm still not sure. My initial hypothesis was that it wasn't so I did some tests. I began my experiment by making the following statements:

(a) If the exposure time (shutter speed) was actually being changed but not reflected in the EXIF data then the underexposed shot should exibit about the same amount of noise as the overexposed shot
(b) If the exposure time remained fixed for all 3 shots and there was some internal trickery going on then the underexposed shot should have more sensor noise than the overexposed shot

So I set everything up and took three shots in almost complete darkness but with some very dim ambient light on the right hand side of each shot (from the lights inside my house; I took the 3 shots in darkness at about midnight).

In post-processing I pushed the exposure up by 4 stops (you'd never do this in real life) so that I could start looking at the noise in each photo. To my surprise, based on the EXIF, the amount of sensor noise in each of the 3 shots was basically the same; thus supporting statement (a). Further, I could only see the light reflected off the ground (I didn't launch the craft) from the P4P's lights in the +0.33 shot no matter how much I pushed the exposure up in the other two shots. So, that further supports that there is no trickery going on. But then how can the EXIF data be explained? Is it incorrect? The difference in the exposure time between 0 and +/- 0.33 EV wouldn't be much so I couldn't determine by ear if each shot did seem to have a different exposure time. It makes me uneasy.

Anyway, I drifted off on a tanget. +/-0.33 stop bracketing is basically useless so yes a user-defined value would be very, very welcome.

2017-9-1
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

mikeon Posted at 2017-9-1 03:45
I just tried it on the table.  3 shot AEB.  It did change the shutter speed between shots, as shown by the EXIF.  Tried it first in auto exposure.  Then tried manual exposure, but it still changed the shutter speed between shots.  I'm using IOS version 4.0.8 of GO4 with a P4P.
I would definitely like to see adjustable brackets.  I used to use -2, 0, +2 stop with Litchi when it had adjustable brackets.  Unfortunately, Litchi no longer has that feature.

I does not change the exposure time for me (in EXIF). Perhaps it's because I haven't upgraded my firmware?
2017-9-1
Use props
mikeon
lvl.4
United States

I just tried it on the table.  3 shot AEB.  It did change the shutter speed between shots, as shown by the EXIF.  Tried it first in auto exposure.  Then tried manual exposure, but it still changed the shutter speed between shots.  I'm using IOS version 4.0.8 of GO4 with a P4P.
I would definitely like to see adjustable brackets.  I used to use -2, 0, +2 stop with Litchi when it had adjustable brackets.  Unfortunately, Litchi no longer has that feature.
2017-9-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-1 03:45
I does not change the exposure time for me (in EXIF). Perhaps it's because I haven't upgraded my firmware?

You're shooting raw aren't you?
Shoot jpg and it will work the way you expect it to.
2017-9-1
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

Very good info Craig and mikeon.
I just feel like if this bird is being touted as a photography and video platform then it should have some features such as this to make it the most useful tool possible. After all I believe this is just a programming request rather than a hardware upgrade.
2017-9-1
Use props
TheKJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 344085 ft
United Kingdom

Ooo Nice i would love this

For Thease people that don't Know what AWB Bracketing is

When AEB is selected, the camera automatically takes three or more shots, each at a different exposure. Auto Exposure Bracketing is very useful for capturing high contrast scenes for HDR. However, AEB wasn't intended for HDR initially, but for ensuring that one of the shots taken is correctly exposed
2017-9-1
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-1 05:00

Of course I'm shooting in RAW. Why would changing to JPG "fix" the EXIF issue that says that no AEB is apparently taking place (in the sense that the EXIF is suggesting that the exposure time remains the same for all three photos)? I don't know of any serious photographers who shoot in JPG because of the loss of quality and flexibility in post-processing.
2017-9-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-1 18:20
Of course I'm shooting in RAW. Why would changing to JPG "fix" the EXIF issue that says that no AEB is apparently taking place (in the sense that the EXIF is suggesting that the exposure time remains the same for all three photos)? I don't know of any serious photographers who shoot in JPG because of the loss of quality and flexibility in post-processing.

1.  Shooting jpg AEB works just fine.  Try it and check the Exif info since you don't believe me.
2.  I'm a very serious photographer and I shoot jpg.
2017-9-1
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-1 21:28
1.  Shooting jpg AEB works just fine.  Try it and check the Exif info since you don't believe me.
2.  I'm a very serious photographer and I shoot jpg.

I must be doing something wrong then Note that nothing changes in the three shots (taken with AEB on the Phantom Pro 4) below:

2017-9-1
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Anyway, I think we've gone off on a tangent (obviously due to my initial post).

Back on topic, Do I want to be able to adjust the AEB stops/steps? The answer is a huge yes
2017-9-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-1 21:51
I must be doing something wrong then  Note that nothing changes in the three shots (taken with AEB on the Phantom Pro 4) below:

[view_image]

That's showing dng files.
This topic has been explored in the past and the exif info for AEB raw files doesn't show proper bracketing.

But as someone here said recently .... if you shoot jpg, you will find that it does bracketing perfectly.
I shoot AEB jpg all the time when I'm dealing with fast moving subjects and can't afford the time for raw files to write to the SD card.
2017-9-2
Use props
mikeon
lvl.4
United States

I just tried it again with the P4P on the table, but shooting RAW (I previously did JPG).  Same results - 1/30, 1/50, 1/20 shutter speed.  
Here is my setup:
P4P
iPhone 6+ with iOS 10.3.3
GO4 version 4.0.8
Aircraft 01.03.0509
Remote Control 01.04.00.00
App Database 00.00.01.04
2017-9-2
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks mikeon. I did another test as well. All 3 1/60th second. Obviously I'm doing something wrong maybe. I'll probably open a thread about that to avoid hijacking this one.

That's said, +/- 0.7 EV is not particularly useful (with RAW you can salvage at least 1 stop of over-exposure anyway on my DJI pro 4; therefore I just overexpose deliberately -- ETTR) so being able to adjust everything would be a godsend and make the feature much more practical.
2017-9-2
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

How do we do that? Or can you do it for us. It really is a pretty essential function for photography.
2017-9-2
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-2 04:09
How do we do that? Or can you do it for us. It really is a pretty essential function for photography.

It was a confusing response for me too. Would transfer this request, or Will transfer this request?
2017-9-11
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

YEs I agree we should be able to adjust the AEB bracketting range. It be a great function for Hi Def photos and helps pop the color out on images.
2017-9-12
Use props
daduke
lvl.2
Switzerland

I very much second this. +- 0.7 EV is pretty much useless, on my cameras I usually use +- 1.75 EV. Thanks for looking into it Susan.
2017-9-18
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Please take this as constructive feedback.

This thread is another example of what I dislike about this forum. Very few threads are actually constructive... the majority of them get a "form" answer from an admin (or very close to), a request for a case number, or something very similar. Sometimes "we'll pass onto our engineers". After that, and sometimes condolences for a dear departed or lost drone it's a bit like a cone of silence descends upon the thread and no further information is ever provided; i.e. the thread is effectively closed. I don't know about others but I personally find it frustrating and basically a waste of time. Even a response of something like (in this case) "our engineers said it's impossible because <insert reason here>" is better than no response at all.

Cheers
Craig
2017-10-22
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

I'm beginning to wonder if the IMX183 camera can actually natively support AEB in steps other than +/-0.7. Other steps could be done programmatically of course but perhaps this is undesirable for some reason (assuming that the IMX183 cannot already do it natively of course)
2017-10-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CraigR Posted at 2017-10-22 09:48
Please take this as constructive feedback.

This thread is another example of what I dislike about this forum. Very few threads are actually constructive... the majority of them get a "form" answer from an admin (or very close to), a request for a case number, or something very similar. Sometimes "we'll pass onto our engineers". After that, and sometimes condolences for a dear departed or lost drone it's a bit like a cone of silence descends upon the thread and no further information is ever provided; i.e. the thread is effectively closed. I don't know about others but I personally find it frustrating and basically a waste of time. Even a response of something like (in this case) "our engineers said it's impossible because " is better than no response at all.

Craig, the first thing is to understand that DJI do not have their engineers on the forum. It would be a waste of valuable resources to do so, as their time is too important to waste on chit-chat. So they have forum moderators who try to answer questions for the members or gather the information to pass on to the engineers to consider. Bear in mind that this is a Chinese company, and the engineers may not be English speaking.

But just as importantly, this forum is also a self-help format, where questions can be answered by other forum members, and usually you will get more information from those members anyway.

2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

No, I am satisfied with the current setup.

But I do have a Nikon D800 for more involvement, parameter wise...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-1 21:51
I must be doing something wrong then  Note that nothing changes in the three shots (taken with AEB on the Phantom Pro 4) below:

[view_image]

Exposure bias is changing
2017-10-22
Use props
RuSchristian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7310331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

A different order of the AEB would be extremely helpful as well. When taking lots of bracketed shots, selecting the matching images can be hard in post production: thats why on my dslr, AEB goes from -1 to 0 to +1 instead of 0 / -1 / +1.

To be able to use AEB in -/0/+ order would be awesome.
2017-11-25
Use props
jmrfoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77257 ft
United States

YES!  I'm a photographer by trade and plan to use my P4P for real estate via HDR and it would be basically fundamental to be able to adjust the +/- EV between shots...
2017-11-25
Use props
stefgo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5081736 ft
France

Yes, I'm Ok too. It would be nice to choose stop in AEB (from 1 to 3 stop +- )
2017-11-25
Use props
stefgo
lvl.4
France

Yes, I'm Ok too. It would be nice to choose (from 1 to 3 stop +-  AEB
2017-11-25
Use props
stefgo
lvl.4
France

#Quick Reply HereYes, I'm Ok too. It would be nice to choose stop in AEB (from 1 to 3 stop +- )
2017-11-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'll have two to go!
2017-11-25
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

My tuppence worth;

YES PLEASE, for adjustable bracketing from 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and full 1 stop increments.

Also - personally - I'd like to see 7 shot bracketed shots.

I used to use Cokin filters with my Canon7D, but HDR allows for much better imaging.

So yes to DJI giving us the ability to adjust the AEB and make this a true flying camera platform.
2017-11-25
Use props
djiuser_eAIInpx
lvl.1
Australia

0.7 stops is next to useless, and to have to take five DNG shots at 40MB each to get even close to a usable HDR image is extremely frustrating. The sensor in the P4P is not bad for a compact camera, but it could be so much more usable with and adjustable AEB range of 3 or even 2 stops of EV. I flew my new P4P for the first time today, and am just learning why my AEB results are so totally useless with clipped details in the clouds and noisy shadows in the final merged result. I am a real estate photographer and I use fusion blending for a very gentle HDR effect, not the cartoon neon colour effect, but I like to have a range of detail to work with, then I'll decide what to boost and cut and clip, not the choice made for me by the files I get from my camera, I am so disappointed that DJI appears to have crippled this camera with such a poorly thought out AEB range. Thousands of dollars spent and I can't even get the same features I can get on a mid priced compact camera. Crazy.... This needs immediate attention, surely!!,  The last post on this was 25th Nov 2017, so nearly two months and everyone has just given up fighting for a resolution to this?
2018-1-21
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

YES PLEASE, for adjustable bracketing it would be great and I would imagine a simple fw adjustment too... DJI are you listening
2018-1-21
Use props
miah8000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 510374 ft
United States

I would welcome (and strongly request) a variable spread on the AEB setting. When I shoot HDR on my standard camera, I bracket in full stops and would welcome +/- 2 EV or more if the scene warranted it (as sunsets and sunrises can with huge differences between backlit subjects and sky). It drives me a little crazy that I can't select this myself.
2018-5-5
Use props
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
Flight distance : 525135 ft
United States

Yes please, I want at least steps of 1 EV, better even up to 2!
2018-7-14
Use props
fans980a1579
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-1 01:16
I'd love it to be adjustable. +/- 0.3 of a stop is not particularly useful in situations where I'd normally (on a DSLR) resort to AEB.

That said, the EXIF data attached to Phantom4pro shots is extremely confusing. If I take 3 bracketed shots, for example, the f-stop, aperture and exposure time remain the same. This isn't how AEB bracketing works... on any other camera in the world the exposure time would change for each shot. The only difference between the three shots is that the exposure bias is different for each of them. This made me wonder if there was some trickery involved. Three photos, in this example, certainly are taken and can easily be proven by taking a bracketed shot of a moving subject. But does exposure time change for each shot? I'm still not sure. My initial hypothesis was that it wasn't so I did some tests. I began my experiment by making the following statements:

Yep - the main reason I stopped using AEB on my Phantoms. In bright light it seemed to change shutter speeds, but in low light the "Bracket" was in the ISO.
NOT accetapable. At all.
I try to shoot at 100 iso at all times and having DJI control & adjust the ISO for me is not a true Auto Bracket.

PLEASE DJI - PAY ATTENTION!!!!
WE WANT 1 STOP INCREMENTS, AND ABILITY TO LOCK THE ISO, and have the bracket be with the Shutter speed - not the ISO.
PLEASE!!!
2018-10-8
Use props
fans980a1579
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-1 05:00

Why on earth would we want AEB to only perform properly in JPG mode?
Why not in RAW? That's really short sighted of DJI
2018-10-8
Use props
fans980a1579
lvl.2
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-1 18:20

That's because the "Bracket" is in the ISO - not the shutter.
Which is Wrong.
2018-10-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules