[Poll] : Ergonomy design of gimbal wheel
2271 19 2017-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

Currently, the gimbal wheel is "horizontal" while it commands an up and down movement.

I believe that in terms of ergonomy, things would be better another way.

My opinion is that a "balance type" 2 positions button solution on the left side of RC(replacing the wheel) would be better.

- the gesture is simpler
- they could be vertically aligned so that the direction of command is more natural (a vertical wheel would make the gesture a bit hard I believe)
- it could be possible to have a "tilt while you press" mode and a fix tilt step (e.g. 5°) per short press mode

What do you think ?

Single SelectVote, Total 86 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

16.28% (14)
13.95% (12)
69.77% (60)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-9-1
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

It’s horizontal on every controller of every DJI drone they ever produced. Doubtful it would change.

Besides, if you want to talk ergonomics (as opposed to purely UX design), your solution is actually less ergonomical, and does not allow control over movement speed.
2017-9-1
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2684 ft
United States

Not sure what the problem is?  I find that the roll wheel works nice in that location.  It might be harder if you want to use your right hand.   This is going way back in time.  Friend who is a war vet minus two hands could not use the on screen camera soft touch tilt that was on the phone screen on the original P2Vp.  (It had no roll wheel control).  Spent time asking and explaining his problem with his hooks etc. to DJI.  Seems like within 6 months of that DJI had the roll wheel on the P2vp 3.0.  I'm always thinking that was added for my friend after a request.  I know it was not but it makes you feel good that it did show up.  What would be useful on that roll is a small square tab that sticks up and off the roll wheel about an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch high.  It will just add that little extra for him to hook onto if he needs to use the wheel to move the camera.
2017-9-1
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

it works well once you get use to it.  scrolling up and down might be more effort the scrolling left to right based on how we hold our remotes
2017-9-1
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

I prefer it the way it is already implemented.
2017-9-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

Trend looks unambiguous...
2017-9-2
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Put your hand in the position then try and move your fingers up and down vertically, it's not a natural movement of your finger.
2017-9-2
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure I would want to shell out another £150 just for a position change on the wheel. Got used to it as it is now. Its not broke, so I guess it doesn't need fixing
2017-9-2
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I use two fingers with each stick - I wish they were longer and thinner.
And I find it impossible to control the gimbal with the middle finger while using the left stick.
Maybe I instead should try using phone-tilt.
2017-9-2
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Reinvent the wheel?........ or learn how to use it?
Hmmm........... how would you move finger up and down?
Very difficult.
2017-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Virtual vertical wheel on screen.
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-9-2 19:18
Reinvent the wheel?........ or learn how to use it?
Hmmm........... how would you move finger up and down?
Very difficult.

agreed, much smoother and more natural from left to right, or right to left .. LOL
2017-9-13
Use props
Ivanoe Fgx2
New

France

none of these proposals : the wheel should turn like the scrollwheel of a mouse (i.e free rotation), with some resistance to perform smooth movements
about it's orientation, it's more ergonomic to have it horizontal as your finger comes from the side.
I guess you propose a vertical one no for ergonomics but to fit with gimbal movement. You already learnt to invert command when flying back to your position, it's not much more effort to learn this extra movement
2017-9-13
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-14
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

I agree with Ivanoe Fgx2 - for me (personally) a scrolling wheel (yet still horizontal) seems preferable over the current solution.
2017-11-9
Use props
Javey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Thumbstick would be great, right now it's hard to control the speed of the up and down movement when making videos.  But I don't mind it.
2017-11-10
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I didn't like it at first but I got used to it and would not want to see it changed now.
What I have not figured out is how to control the gimble with the touch screen  (is it swipe up down with two fingers?????)
or how to get the gimble to follow the tilt of the phone ,,  I think I read that it was supposed to do that.

2017-11-10
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

No. Tap and hold on screen and a circle will appear.
It works the wrong way, so I never use it.

Swipe with two fingers up from the bottom is full screen. To undo it is challenging on an iphone.
2017-12-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good poll and suggestions though I prefer it as it is now.
2018-3-17
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I always turn it the wrong direction.
2018-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules