Inflight FPV through Gopro 4
2726 4 2015-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
strand76
New

Denmark

Hi there,
I am considering buying a Phantom 2 drone and have a Gopro 4 that I was planning to use with it. Can I mount the Gopro 4 and stream to the Gopro app when the drone is in flight? If not...is there any other way to get FPV through my Gopro4?
Thanks
Christian
2015-4-1
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

FPV is possible but not the way you have described.

Using the gopro app will cause interference with the phantom and should be turned off during flight.

You do have the ability to use a 5.8 Ghz fpv link. There is plenty of information on google for this purpose. You will have to do your own research to determine the max output for where you live.

For ease of use you could get the DJI FPV hub and avl58 transmitter. Then you need a receiver to view it, either goggles or screen.
2015-4-2
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

You need a special USB AV cable for the GoPro to get Standard Definition video signal put of the GoPro.  This would be hooked up to a 5.8gHz transmitter.

As mentioned above the FPV hub can simplify wiring.  The GoPro app via WiFi not only caused interference but the link range and stability are not good for FPV. If you are doing FPV I would advise you get a USB cable tha supports charging the GOPro to ensure it does not run out of battery in flight.
2015-4-2
Use props
inadub
New
United States

Hey there I had a couple of questions regarding FPV from a Phantom 2 using a H4-3D gimbal and Hero4 gopro. So it appears as though you need an AVL58 and then a separate monitor to receive the signal sent from the AVL58 transmitter. Is there any way to feed this video on to an Android or Apple device ??

I noticed above too that I might need a special USB cable? Is this a GoPro item, something DJI makes or 3rd party?? Also this is only for the FPV, it doesn't change the recording output to the microSD card while recording does it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
2015-4-5
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

What are you flying? I did this on a 1000 awhile back going through the iOSD to an analog video transmitter, not Lightbridge. I used a BEC as a regulator because the battery voltage coming out of the iOSD is 6S or 22V+.  The GoPro needs 5V which is what the BEC regulates to.  I used a 4 pin cable off the iOSD, orange-video, yellow not used, red power and brown grond. The Red and brown went to the BEC input. You also need the special GoPro USB. I used white-video to the orange as stated above, red-not used, black splice to the brown on the input side of the BEC, red-power, the other black-ground....the red and black go to the output side of the BEC.  Being that the video also has a ground you must connect it to the BEC ground or the iOSD ground wire as described above.

A Fatshark, would be completely different.  That gets connected to the iOSD directly.

GoPro > Video to iOSD / Power to BEC > iOSD > Video Transmitter

The GH3/4 or whatever camera person would be seeing the Lightbridge OSD information if going through Lightbridge, and the GoPro person would see the analog iOSD overlay.

2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules