Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
If GPS is lost, how to return manually?
414 10 2017-9-2 07:57:22
Jose Ramos
lvl.2
Portugal

Hello there!

Even though the Return to Home feature is a great way to prevent flyaways and user error, it will always have higher risks and take more time than doing a manual return.

In case of RC connection loss, RTH is obviously the only way to return BUT, what if GPS signal is lost? I guess RTH won't work with GPS loss right?

If GPS signal is lost I guess the drone will enter ATTI mode, so my question is: how do you manually return your drone to home in ATTI mode? If the drone is quite far away from the pilot, barely at the visual line of sight, it's extremely difficult to check if it's moving away or towards us. What data do we have available in the Dji Go app in ATTI mode to guide the return?

Thanks!
2017-9-2 07:57:22
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54838
Bahamas

First of all if the drone is in a clear environment without any tall building or any high trees blocking the signal, it shouldn't loose gps. Gps signal is pretty much bullet proof, unless the gps antenna is poorly designed.

If the drone loose gps but the RC is still connected then your only way home is to use the camera view to find your way home. Climb up to guarantee RC remains connected and orient the drone to
Find your way home...
2017-9-2 09:44:29
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 735
Hong Kong

PascalG Posted at 2017-9-2 09:44
First of all if the drone is in a clear environment without any tall building or any high trees blocking the signal, it shouldn't loose gps. Gps signal is pretty much bullet proof, unless the gps antenna is poorly designed.

If the drone loose gps but the RC is still connected then your only way home is to use the camera view to find your way home. Climb up to guarantee RC remains connected and orient the drone to

There are two issues always happened in Spark. One was the GPS seems easily get lost even flying in open area, second issue was in many cases Compass will also dead after or the same time as the GPS signal lost. If both sensor failed, the Spark should not come back or control by the pilot.
2017-9-2 11:31:52
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15541
  • >>>
Thailand

Hmm ... there are plenty quads selling out there that do not equipped with any GPS nor Compass. They are all ATTI mode quads and they are fun to fly, the racing drone. The tiny whoop is one of them and cheap. Get one, fly fun. You will be ready for ATTI Spark.
2017-9-2 12:35:18
Use props
JMR58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86721
Belgium

If GPS is lost and you are on ATTI you still have the Map in the left corner with the home point, the AC red triangle and the "yellow" line towards the homepoint to come back...don't you???
2017-9-2 13:28:20
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54838
Bahamas

JMR58 Posted at 2017-9-2 13:28
If GPS is lost and you are on ATTI you still have the Map in the left corner with the home point, the AC red triangle and the "yellow" line towards the homepoint to come back...don't you???

If the gps signal is lost, the map on your screen isn't going to refresh and even the heading could be wrong if there is also a problem with the compass.

Only available info will be the camera feed
2017-9-2 13:38:52
Use props
JMR58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86721
Belgium

PascalG Posted at 2017-9-2 13:38
If the gps signal is lost, the map on your screen isn't going to refresh and even the heading could be wrong if there is also a problem with the compass.

Only available info will be the camera feed

Oops didn't encounter this problem yet, always had the straight line back to home!
Thanks for letting me now that this is not reliable on ATTI..
2017-9-2 13:51:28
Use props
emresu
lvl.1
Turkey

Hi,

What happens when BOTH GPS and RC signal is lost. For the case i couldn't control over RC and also no RTH due to GPS loss. Does it tries to land automatically to current location ?
4 days ago
Use props
fans04bc4ba7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93381
Finland

As far as I know - Spark do not loose GPS, it stopped use it because of compass error. You still can see a lot of satellites locked, but GPS health instantly drops from 5 to 0 when difference between YAW and mag Yaw  too big and switch to ATTI. If you can see AC and/or have video link - no problem. But it would be interesting to receive information from DJI about algorithm used for the case when you at the same time lost control, video link and GPS. In my opinion, AC should be immediately  landed.
3 days ago
Use props
Tharg (from the
Second Officer
Flight distance : 36815
United Kingdom

Simple, since nobody should be flying BVLOS anyway your aircraft will be in sight. Just fly it home manually.

If you are unsure of orientation of the aircraft familiarize yourself with a few simple tricks that model aircraft users have been using for years to regain orientation at distance (Google it)

You can that practice and hone your skill by flying out to a distance where you cannot tell the orientation of your aircraft. Remain in hover and input full yaw for a few second and ONLY look at the aircraft not the screen.
Release the yaw and you will not know which way the aircraft is pointing. Then by using the methods of reorientation you will be able to fly the aircraft safely back to you without refernce to camera feed, map or heading display.

For people that fly BVLOS - Well, too bad, they deserve to lose their aircraft in the event of a malfunction.... I have no sympathy.
3 days ago
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.2
Kuwait

It is very important to know that the reason why the drone loses GPS is because of data processing conflict. Accordingly, the drone stops dealing with GPS to deal with the alternative which is the "IMU" only, this is why it goes to "ATTI" mode. The "IMU" in this case is the only source that the drone can behave with.

A problem might happen if the "IMU" was not calibrated for a long time.

Here you might lose your drone, flying a way.

3 days ago
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next