"Wireless interference" in the middle of nowhere?
2575 17 2017-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dQy8e5IhL2dk
lvl.1
United States

First of all, Specs:

Mavic Pro DJI GO 4 v4.1.5
Lastest Firmware
Running on a Samsung Galaxy S8
Android 7.0 / Kernel 4.4.16

I'm annoyed as i can be about this issue:

I'm hiking in the midde of nowhere, on top of some mountain or even by the side of a river, FAR from everyone and everything, not even internet connection or phone coverage and the app says "strong WiFi interference" and disconnects from the drone. That leaves me with - obvioulsy - no image or connection on the DJI GO app and it goes as far as the controller losing connection with the drone and the drone flying back to where it took off.

Can someone please help me with this issue??? It's extremely frustrating and annoying to the poing of hiking 5 hours to get drone footage and this god damn thing not working. It happened also today after the lastest firmware upgrade (from Aug-01).

Please help me.

2017-9-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Try setting your phone to airplane mode and see if that helps. If not, you may need to contact DJI about this.
2017-9-2
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i get the error also at my farm which is pretty much a dead zone.. i theorizing its unrelated to the actual connection half the time!  check your controller, see if it still has active status of your mavic on it and signal. try a different cable with your phone/tablet.  i found i had 2 broken usb cables or badly shielded cables.. causing intermittant loss of signal with the app falsely reporting signal issues but switching to my anker cables i use for charging i found the issue mostly cleared up.  however i still get app false reporting signal issues on occasions..  but it has happened a few times recently again with better cable.. RC screen shows i have 2 sometimes 3 bars of signal but app says in red no signal.. i found if i pull usb cable out of the RC then pop it back in it clears it up again..

if you getting a lot of interference errors and rolling off signal issues reported in app but the RC screen shows more signal than the app, try a different cable, if its sudden drop outs without warnings, then it likely is a bad cable.

i think it is a bug with how the RC and the app operate together, i hope DJi fix it as there are a few falsely reporting things in the app like sometimes number of sat connections after a fresh start up can be stuck at whatever it was last time you ran the app then it clears up again after a moment or if you take off, also issue with flashing icons for RC and HD suggesting interferance but it had no understandable patterns, even if its inches from you, wont stop flashing until its grounded again. then you have false signal reports from RC which could be a good thing to stop you flying too far, but its kind of annoying still RC showing 2-3 bars siometimes when the app is basically blind.  the app and methods used in the app definatly need some reworking..

on side suggestion, use the samsung galaxy S8 charger cable from your phone plug it into the bottom USb port on the RC and the side of the phone. i found that massively improved my signal issues, i suggest buyign a quality anker USB to USB type C cable, and using that to fly.  i had really good luck with anker cables
2017-9-2
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You might flew into the telecommunication microwave path. Try somewhere else.
2017-9-2
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-9-2 17:46

you are right it could be, but usually microwave towers aren't up in the mountains sending RF across rugged back terrain, if they are in mountains they usually on ridge lines.. but your theory is solid, worth an investigation
2017-9-2
Use props
dQy8e5IhL2dk
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-2 16:27
Try setting your phone to airplane mode and see if that helps. If not, you may need to contact DJI about this.

I gotta try that next time, thanks!
2017-9-2
Use props
dQy8e5IhL2dk
lvl.1
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-2 17:20
i get the error also at my farm which is pretty much a dead zone.. i theorizing its unrelated to the actual connection half the time!  check your controller, see if it still has active status of your mavic on it and signal. try a different cable with your phone/tablet.  i found i had 2 broken usb cables or badly shielded cables.. causing intermittant loss of signal with the app falsely reporting signal issues but switching to my anker cables i use for charging i found the issue mostly cleared up.  however i still get app false reporting signal issues on occasions..  but it has happened a few times recently again with better cable.. RC screen shows i have 2 sometimes 3 bars of signal but app says in red no signal.. i found if i pull usb cable out of the RC then pop it back in it clears it up again..

if you getting a lot of interference errors and rolling off signal issues reported in app but the RC screen shows more signal than the app, try a different cable, if its sudden drop outs without warnings, then it likely is a bad cable.

You just described a few issues that i also have!  I'll definitely try another cable and the cable from my phone charger to see if the problem goes away. I am currently using the cable provided by DJI.
2017-9-2
Use props
dQy8e5IhL2dk
lvl.1
United States

Happens hiking in the middle of freaking nowhere not even remotely close to a big city/antennas or anything related. Also happens at random places. The mountain example happened today, again...it's not the first time. Thanks for your reply!
2017-9-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the replies above, please try. Besides, please help to confirm the firmware version info, I mean if there is an +/- icon after the version name, the drone needs to upgrade again. You can check the version info by this route: connect your drone, RC, and app---enter device--general settings---about.
If you had tried all the suggestions above, please report your case to support.us@dji.com, will do our best to help things out.
2017-9-2
Use props
FlyingLocksmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154206 ft
United Kingdom

I watched a guy on YouTube suffer the same thing after update. He flew the same route before and after to compare the alleged camera improvement ( a route he always flies from his back yard)  and suddenly after update was receiving constant interference warnings. He was on iOs. So maybe it is a DJI thing
2017-9-2
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Ahahahaha Cell towers do nothing. I fly directly around them all the time. Right up to them. No issues.
2017-9-2
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

there is one place i fly often over a lagoon - at one particular spot about 50-100m over the lagoon my signal sometimes drops - it is the middle of no where and i just cant figure out why that spot some times gives me issues.
It is not cell tower because i have installed many of the local tower links (so i know the tower positions and their LOS connections.

Also i have flown close to a cell phone tower just to check the effect but at that tower but despite i have put it in between me and my mavic, it has no effect.

Perhaps you can check also that yr cable is firmly seated - on occassion during week signal i played with my cable to see perhaps if it was comming loose from the socket. Then i have got connection again but cant say for sure if the cable was infact loose or if signal just reconnected as unexplained as it disconnected.
But worth trying to see if yr cable remains properly seated and if this might be yr problem.

I do find that sometimes unpluging my cable from my devise and then plugging it back in again helps to sort a connection issue.
It seems that it is better for me to switch on my drone and my mavic and open the app BEFORE plugging in my cable - this works each time. If i plug cable to device and then switch everything on then sometimes i get a connection problem.

Lastly :
2017-9-3
Use props
dQy8e5IhL2dk
lvl.1
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-9-3 00:09
there is one place i fly often over a lagoon - at one particular spot about 50-100m over the lagoon my signal sometimes drops - it is the middle of no where and i just cant figure out why that spot some times gives me issues.
It is not cell tower because i have installed many of the local tower links (so i know the tower positions and their LOS connections.

I really appreciate all the replies, they are all very useful and i will definitely some things out.

Just for the record; I always let my phone start the app when the controller is connected to the drone, i never start the app before connecting the  drone.
2017-9-3
Use props
dQy8e5IhL2dk
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-2 20:10
Thanks for the replies above, please try. Besides, please help to confirm the firmware version info, I mean if there is an +/- icon after the version name, the drone needs to upgrade again. You can check the version info by this route: connect your drone, RC, and app---enter device--general settings---about.
If you had tried all the suggestions above, please report your case to , will do our best to help things out.

App: 4.1.5
Version: 01.03.1000
Remote Controller: 01.03.1000
Aircraft Database: 01.00.01.05
APP Database: 01.00.01.04
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

dQy8e5IhL2dk Posted at 2017-9-3 14:25
App: 4.1.5
Version: 01.03.1000
Remote Controller: 01.03.1000

It seems all should be working, please contact our support team support.us@dji.com to start an analysis, send the drone in for an overall check if necessary. Thank you for your cooperation.
2017-9-5
Use props
mongobird
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18819 ft
United States

There are some technical reasons why a signal could go bad, out in the middle of nowhere, over a lagoon. and that is an RF effect called Fresnel Effect.  Essentially, a direct wave from the phantom to the RC cancels the reflected wave off the water, and the received signal drops to near zero. If one was going rather slow, it could cause fading and strengthening signals.

I too have RF issues with my p4a, and am trying to reduce or eliminate the problem.  Thanks for the USB cable tips, that will be my next course of action.  I would like to get usable video from the cache.
2017-9-10
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had that happened to me in the middle of nowhere, never figured it out what did that(almost lost the MP).
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mongobird Posted at 2017-9-10 13:11
There are some technical reasons why a signal could go bad, out in the middle of nowhere, over a lagoon. and that is an RF effect called Fresnel Effect.  Essentially, a direct wave from the phantom to the RC cancels the reflected wave off the water, and the received signal drops to near zero. If one was going rather slow, it could cause fading and strengthening signals.

I too have RF issues with my p4a, and am trying to reduce or eliminate the problem.  Thanks for the USB cable tips, that will be my next course of action.  I would like to get usable video from the cache.

i never had issues with my mavic pro over water..  maybe uplink and downlink are different frequencies with occusync.  but i occasionally have gotten that strange fading in and out effect you speak of flying over huge empty fields and hills with my mavic pro, usually starts happening after about 1 mile.  

today i was flying out over a small town.  i got about 3 miles, but around 1 mile mark i noticed interesting effect, if i sat down on the cement step outfront of this building direction i was flying, and aimed my antennas at 45 degree angle towards the sidewalk which is rolling down hill from where i was sitting, my signal shot up, but in every few seconds i noticed dips down then bounces back up.. it held on for entire time.. one of my furthest runs over a populated area!  if i stood up and aimed antennas towards my aircraft the signal faded out or completely vanished.. sat down and aimed flat side at 45 degree angle to sidewalk boom back up and solid connection.  interesting how that reflection worked so well every other time i tried using reflection it fails..    the other thing is where i was sitting was near power lines and sidewalk is a rats nest of wiring over it, like legit scarey bad.   i was epecting power lines to break my connection a bit, but maybe they helped ?  i dont know i just know over populated area where alot of wifi everywhere, i got around 3 miles or range doing this..
2017-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules