Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Large crack in propeller after sport mode flight
3796 18 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NdFeB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85013 ft
United Kingdom

After flying in sport mode in large open area without any obstacles, I have discovered a large crack in one of the props. This could easly cause AC to drop out of the sky "with no reason". I did not hit any bird or anything else (maybe few bugs )
IMAG1394.jpg
2017-9-3
Use props
Surface2Air
First Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

I'm no expert, but I don't think a crack like that would manifest itself during a regular flight (even sport) - either way good that you spotted it and replaced it before it gets worse.
2017-9-3
Use props
jyc
Captain
Flight distance : 2246224 ft
Canada

Wow beautiful photos!
2017-9-3
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

You could have nicked the prop and the stress on the Blake may have caused the crack,  it does happen, nothing to worry about
2017-9-3
Use props
Martin Lines
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

Was Spark happy with the sudden change in height as you crossed the cliff edge?
(and having seen the large crack in the wider shot of where you were standing I am not sure I would have stood there given the record of UK cliffs this year!)
2017-9-3
Use props
fans34089405
Captain
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

According to YouTube videos, it will not fall from the sky with such kind of damage. It will start rotating and will land. I think most "fall from the sky" cases happened due to power/battery failure.
2017-9-3
Use props
HomePoint
First Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Girlfriend: He slipped and fell of the cliffs while flying the drone
Police: We are very sorry for your loss
Girlfriend:  I got life insurance yesterday, so I should be ok
Girlfriend:  Uhmmmm need to check them props with the guys on the DJI forum

2017-9-3
Use props
NdFeB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-9-3 06:02
Was Spark happy with the sudden change in height as you crossed the cliff edge?
(and having seen the large crack in the wider shot of where you were standing I am not sure I would have stood there given the record of UK cliffs this year!)

no problem whatsoever, easy to say as you cannot see the crack while standing there (or anywhere around there) only when you see movies and photos at home (too much sun glare on screen of my phone while flying) imagine my surprise
2017-9-3
Use props
NdFeB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans34089405 Posted at 2017-9-3 07:55
According to YouTube videos, it will not fall from the sky with such kind of damage. It will start rotating and will land. I think most "fall from the sky" cases happened due to power/battery failure.

good to know, thanks
2017-9-3
Use props
Pirikitto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183658 ft
United States

accidentally take off with the closed propellers? it can also be that
2017-9-3
Use props
NdFeB
lvl.1
Netherlands

Pirikitto Posted at 2017-9-3 13:02
accidentally take off with the closed propellers? it can also be that

this could be the case, hope it will never happen again
2017-9-3
Use props
Gr3g
lvl.4
United States

Very nice shots!
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Eastbourne UK is really attractive. And I would recommend you change the propeller for a safe flight.
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

I would replace the propellers, I won't take a risk since the propellers are much cheaper than my baby Spark. BTW, nice shots, enjoyed!
2017-9-4
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Nice pictures........ but also illegal.
Sussex Coast National Trust UAV Bylaws
2017-9-4
Use props
NdFeB
lvl.1
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-9-4 01:16

It is not a NFZ, there was quite few drones in there, how should we know this than? No information around there. A lot of places is NFZ in UK but this particular one is not
2017-9-4
Use props
NdFeB
lvl.1
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-9-4 01:16

I'm very angry after reading this, I wouldn't buy drone if I knew that they are banned everywhere. Even on the huge open space like this one. No wonder why DJI don't care about European customers. They know how limited flaying is. I do have insurance and never fly over people but according to this article I cannot fly there anyway. Brilliant just brilliant. Thanks for finding this article, I guess I will be breaking the law sometimes as if the area is not mark as a NFZ I fly there without deep research.
2017-9-4
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

NFZ' and apps like B4ufly and all that other rubbish are totally meaningless.
The ONLY factual and accurate way to know whether you are able to fly in a particular area is to learn to read a sectional air chart with the correct overlays/plates and to check current NOTAMS for any restrictions.
You should also check for any bylaws which may exist in your intended area of operation.
Mickey Mouse No Fly Zones are inaccurate and drawn in the wrong shape half the time.
DJI took it upon themselves to implement them and individuals seem now to rely on a 'It isn't a No-Fly zone so I'm ok attitude.'
I'm afraid aviation laws are a little more complex than that.
The National Trust have a family unique protection afforded to them from the Crown (gifted land) and they are empowered to prohibit model aircraft (inc UAV's) flight over their land.

I have done some work with them and also National Heritage but there are many hoops to jump through along with them usually wanting an uplift in insurance cover. A member of the trust staff must always accompany you at all times. As a hobbyist I'm afraid you are extremely unlikely to be granted permission.
2017-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

jyc Posted at 2017-9-3 03:39
Wow beautiful photos!

I don't see pictures, other than the props?
2017-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules