Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Attack on my Drone
12Next >
3463 60 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimmmyWA
New
Flight distance : 493658 ft
Australia

Before I get hounded for flying too close to people, I would like to state that I was flying at the appropriate 30 metres distance from people (10 metres from and 20 metres up), when this idiot decided to walk under my flight path and start throwing rocks at my drone. I only noticed he'd thrown the rocks when playing back the video. Given that this is the first time I've flown this close to people - even though it was only for a few seconds, from now on, I will be keeping my distance! Hopefully other drone pilots can also take this as a warning - not everyone likes drones! Please see the comments of the video for a more detailed description.

2017-9-3
Use props
Maximus95
New
United Kingdom

Lol I hate people!!
2017-9-3
Use props
RobDownUnder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

Aussie rules are 30 meters laterally, height is not added to the horizontal displacement. Throwing rocks was also unjustified. Always keep clear remembering many people do not want to be photographed.
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Drone flying is full of dangers: Angry people, angry birds, angry trees, angry winds, angry waters, angry dogs, angry insects, angry police agents ... what's next?
2017-9-3
Use props
JimmmyWA
New
Australia

RobDownUnder Posted at 2017-9-3 03:10
Aussie rules are 30 meters laterally, height is not added to the horizontal displacement. Throwing rocks was also unjustified. Always keep clear remembering many people do not want to be photographed.

I totally agree. I was thrown by the height of the hill - I thought I was a lot higher above the crest than I was (I could see my drone at all times) - and the people only come into shot for a few seconds. I was filming the bunker.

Like I say - I've learnt an important lesson from this.
2017-9-3
Use props
JimmmyWA
New
Australia

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-3 03:14
Drone flying is full of dangers: Angry people, angry birds, angry trees, angry winds, angry waters, angry dogs, angry insects, angry police agents ... what's next?

Ha Ha - the angry police agent/officer is another story!
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

JimmmyWA Posted at 2017-9-3 03:29
Ha Ha - the angry police agent/officer is another story!

Keep them coming, we like cool drone stories here...
2017-9-3
Use props
JimmmyWA
New
Australia

And now I've also learnt that my maths is wrong, and that the 30 metres should have been diagonally!
2017-9-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Honestly, don't fly over people,ever.....
2017-9-3
Use props
Fingers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

Looking at his throwing technique I don't think the Mavic was in much danger; off balance, too much weight on front foot, too much side on and arm over rotating around the elbow.  

Thanks for posting though, it's a timely reminder that people are even more unpredictable than wildlife!
2017-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

There are 2 issues here.  Being legal is one and being sensible is another.

Quite often just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should.

Drones are irritating, they are noisy and a lot of people dislike them.  So flying them really close to groups of people tends to upset them and can provoke reactions.  I find its better to wait until the people arent there and/or fly further away so its not directly annoying them.  No the guy shouldn't be throwing rocks (that would really annoy me) but on the other hand im not sure it was a brilliant move having it so close to a group of people in the first place from a potential conflict point of view.
2017-9-3
Use props
Brum Ken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

Bud the bloke a tit fancy launching a rock could of hit anyone or anything
but I suppose it takes all sorts of idiots maybe increase  your height next time
2017-9-3
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

We have a saying here (not sure if it is global)
We say; There is always one!!
One screw that will not come out - one idiot in a group - one difficult neighbor in the hood etc.

My rule of thumb is that if i think others can hear my drone then i move further away - hense i no longer fly in VLOS much anymore
2017-9-3
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

looks pretty feral must be W.A
2017-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-9-3 04:20
There are 2 issues here.  Being legal is one and being sensible is another.

Quite often just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should.

Kids & many people are irritating but I don't throw rocks at them.
2017-9-3
Use props
Landjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61496 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-3 03:52
Honestly, don't fly over people,ever.....

Keeps it simple...
2017-9-3
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

he saw you coming and got into position to throw before he even pic up a rock. he just a hater who needs help  , has nothing to do with being photographed . in the states i heard he can get in serious trouble for  trying to take down an aircraft
2017-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-9-3 05:52
Kids & many people are irritating but I don't throw rocks at them.

Why provoke people into getting annoyed or consider doing it?  Just act nice, stay away and be responsible.

I can't see the point in upsetting people.  Not everyone likes drones.  I hate the noise of the things.  The bunker isnt going anywhere, film it when there aren't people there or from higher up and further away.  That way both sides emerge happy.

Throwing rocks shouldn't be done but not putting the thing in a position where it was possible is a better idea.
2017-9-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-9-3 06:28
Why provoke people into getting annoyed or consider doing it?  Just act nice, stay away and be responsible.

I can't see the point in upsetting people.  Not everyone likes drones.  I hate the noise of the things.  The bunker isnt going anywhere, film it when there aren't people there or from higher up and further away.  That way both sides emerge happy.

Provoke things?  Like being there?  Would walking by constitute provocation?  Again many thing are annoying.  I find ill-behaved brats particularly annoying, but I don't throw rocks at them.  At least not when anyone is looking!  
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

I just thought of something:
In fact you were lucky that this guy was only throwing rocks at your Mavic and not magnets, otherwise you would have gotten a compass error in your DJI GO 4 app.
2017-9-3
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-3 03:14

yeap it can be a hazardous hobby
2017-9-3
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

In reply to the  guy throwing the stone...Horrible Aim dont quit your day job buddy !!
2017-9-3
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-9-3 07:22
Provoke things?  Like being there?  Would walking by constitute provocation?  Again many thing are annoying.  I find ill-behaved brats particularly annoying, but I don't throw rocks at them.  At least not when anyone is looking!

You have no idea how much I agree with you...  
2017-9-3
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-3 07:35
I just thought of something:
In fact you were lucky that this guy was only throwing rocks at your Mavic and not magnets, otherwise you would have gotten a compass error in your DJI GO 4 app.

I always sightsee with a pocket full of magnets.
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-9-3 08:34
You have no idea how much I agree with you...

Same here.
2017-9-3
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

For some stupid reason when people see drones the first thing they want to do is throw something at it.  I don't know what it is, but it attracts them to do something stupid.
2017-9-3
Use props
randy.sauder
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

I've no doubt that this same group of losers on the ground were being loud and obnoxious.  The video clearly shows them 'enjoying' this. Losers.  The other couple taking pics in the background couldn't care less...  The regulations should be updated to say "stay 30m away from losers on the ground".
2017-9-3
Use props
Laval076
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87438 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Before the rules changed in Canada, I had problems with a "tinfoil hat" neighbor. He came and asked me not to fly over his property. He received a crash course of law. I politely asked him to step back from my property. When in the street, I politely asked him to look at the sky and told him that it was the canadian airspace, where I was entitled to securely fly a drone... Never heard from him ever since !

But now, with the new rotten rules adopted by the canadian government, it's virtually impossible to fly legally in urban area. So, I fly illegally !! Thanks to our beloved minister of transportation, Marc Garneau, A.K.A.: The Sleepless Astronaut .

2017-9-3
Use props
fans732c5648
lvl.1
Flight distance : 162139 ft
United States

I try not to fly over people but it will happen.  Out in the forest , people will cross below on trails.

Fact is a drone won't hurt someone,  throwing rocks in the air will.  
I was in Colorado atop a mountain at a lake last month, some woman  yelled at me for my drone be noisy., next to her were kids screaming much loader than my drone.

people seem to have a weird hatred of drones because they think it's invading their privacy when every one is walking around with camera in there pockets.  
2017-9-3
Use props
Laval076
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87438 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sooo True !!!
2017-9-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Glad he missed (it would actually be hard to hit a Mavic at that distance with one or two throws),
2017-9-3
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Captain
United States

Why is anyone surprised that there are people fear or hate drones? Sure, it's irrational and stupid, but so are people. And the news is full of stories that put drones in a bad light, demands for more restrictions, etc.
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2017-9-3 11:51
Why is anyone surprised that there are people fear or hate drones? Sure, it's irrational and stupid, but so are people. And the news is full of stories that put drones in a bad light, demands for more restrictions, etc.

With this logic, we should definitely ban motor vehicles, because world wide they kill over one million people each year.
Drones (excluding military drones) kill how many people per year?
2017-9-3
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-3 12:06
With this logic, we should definitely ban motor vehicles, because world wide they kill over one million people each year.
Drones (excluding military drones) kill how many people per year?

Yeah, the general public lumps them all together unfortunately.  
2017-9-3
Use props
danybd
Flight distance : 234715 ft
Germany

I dont understand why people worry about privacy (in public areas) concerning drones and nobody complains about cameras reflex with zoom lens. What about people, who are taking pics in the city where other people are walking around? I never heard somebody saying: Hey Sir! I think I´m appearing in your photo. I have to ask you to delete it!
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

danybd Posted at 2017-9-3 12:35
I dont understand why people worry about privacy (in public areas) concerning drones and nobody complains about cameras reflex with zoom lens. What about people, who are taking pics in the city where other people are walking around? I never heard somebody saying: Hey Sir! I think I´m appearing in your photo. I have to ask you to delete it!

Much less someone grabbing your phone and smashing it on the ground because they don't like the way you're using it. I'll confess to occasionally wanting to do that, but I'm pretty sure I'd be charged with a crime if I did, and for good reason: just because I don't like the way someone's using their property doesn't give me any moral or legal right to destroy it.
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-9-3 12:34
Yeah, the general public lumps them all together unfortunately.

They cross the street without thinking and/or with loud music in their ears, but small drones (not military) in the sky are suddenly a greater menace.
Difficult to understand...
2017-9-3
Use props
danybd
Flight distance : 234715 ft
Germany

Definitely some people are just stupid. I am sure the ones who claim privacy are sharing afterwards absolutely everything in facebook, instagram....
2017-9-3
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJ Enertia Posted at 2017-9-3 07:43
In reply to the  guy throwing the stone...Horrible Aim dont quit your day job buddy !!

haha, that's funny!
2017-9-3
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i had some people talk crap to me about flying my drone... very few people give me crap but some people get the courage and try to give me a lesson, usually ending with them giving up after i tell them to contact the FAA or the police or someone that will pretend to care...    if they came over with respect and willingness to understand, sure... ill happily work it out and not even bother them... sadly too many people think they are god almighty of legal system or something...

good news is while that has happened a few times, 90% of people are happy and dont care...  2.5% of people care but wont say anything.   other 2.5% want to pick a fight or be a badass or something and 5% of people are curious and cautious but open to understanding..

almost all of my flying is well out of Visual and i'm relying on POV but i keep my distance...    im pushing my boundaries more and more because i try to avoid possibilities of negative contact...    my GF suggested i should get a high vis vest and look like a contracted worker or something because generally speaking the more official people appear the less people bother/inquire.. good idea since not impersonating anyone, specially if i dont use logos or anything just get a high vis vest ..and specially not impersonating any government or enforcement officials...  since i mean...yea
2017-9-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules