Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A bug (or two) in RTH with .1000? Can this explain some Fly aways?
2289 37 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I succesfully upgrade to .1000 yesterday and just made a quick test.

Latest version of AC, RC, Batterys and DJI GO App on IoS.
Today I stumbled on a new issue that I have never seen before.

I always have the volume on Max to secure that the home point is recorded.
I was flying one battery on one location, then I moved around 300 kilometers, yes you are reading correct.

Then on next location I got the message "home point recorded" when I started the AC and got the GPS.

In the version 1.6 of the user manual this is stated.
See screen shot 1 "Manual"

So before I took of I had the following status (see screenshot 2, GPS )It have 19 satelites and the position on the map. (flying in flight mode to avoid disturbances from WIFI).
According to the manual I have all settings good so I take of and move about 150 meters or so.
Then I see the strangest thing in the lower right corner about the distance to the home point (This is what I think is the bug) and a possible cause for some "fly aways" in some other missfortunate guys in the past. I know that the D symbol states the Distance from the RC. But to my understanding that has nothing to do with the home point, (See screen shot 3, Distance to HP) Still enough satelittes.
Then I return home manually since I find this strange. Turn of the power of the AC to check if I have done something wrong.

I turn it ON again and get "the home point is recorded" both as voice and as a message on the Display. I fly away about 100 meters again and the same thing happens again. When I was moving the AC to me the distance to the home point (the lower right corner distance on Screen shot 3) increases since I coming from the north and goes south. Also not that the Home Point is removed from the map in the lower left corner at this point.

Turned it of again and turned it on, same procedure, both voice and display message as a confirmation.

I then go to the menu in DJI GO , to see if I done something wrong (see screen shot 4, Choice) this is done afterwards at home since I did't dare to take more screen shots in the field. I chosed to confirm this (approax 100 meters from the RC) but this setting is to my understanding that the "new" homepoint is where the AC is currently located, am I right here?
I got a confirmation about the new home point (on the display at least), don't remeber if I got a voice confirmation this time. Same thing again, distance 300000 meters and home point gone.
So to summarize on the possible bug issues.

1. Home point dissapears from the Map.
2. It has the "previous" HP in memory
3. You can't set a home point manually

Have any one else experienced this or am I doing something wrong?

Fly safe.

manual

manual

GPS

GPS

Distance to HP

Distance to HP
Choice.PNG
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Please upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions so that we can see what happened.
2017-9-3
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

with .1000 I had the same experience (only 12 km away thru mountains home point self-set during flight (after seen the message that Home point is recorded on start) and immediately tried to self RTH to this "Home" - lucky enough I stopped it otherwise Mavic would be lost in mountains. I write it down here in the forum (http://forum.dji.com/thread-110288-1-1.html) sent flight record - no response - so I deal with it myself  
2017-9-3
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

alex_markov Posted at 2017-9-3 12:10
with .1000 I had the same experience (only 12 km away thru mountains home point self-set during flight (after seen the message that Home point is recorded on start) and immediately tried to self RTH to this "Home" - lucky enough I stopped it otherwise Mavic would be lost in mountains. I write it down here in the forum (http://forum.dji.com/thread-110288-1-1.html) sent flight record - no response - so I deal with it myself

HI Alex.

Did't see your post, before i posted.

How ewer this is of course not good, glad you also saved your bird.

When you say you deal with it, are you downgrading or? If you manage to find a way to do that I would like to know how, since the .0900 version don't seem to be available.

Good luck, I will be on the ground for a while, luckily I have no time to fly for a little time so I hope this is sorted out soon.

Happy flying
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Please upload your flight log (TXT) using the link to the instructions I provided above.
2017-9-3
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

thanks for pointing this out guys - i will keep my eye on this detail with my mavic :-(
2017-9-3
Use props
Albatros24
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116010 ft
France

Check the settings in DJI GO 4 - Map offset for China Option ???
2017-9-3
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

I noticed this happening only once... when I failed to force close the DJI app on my iPhone after using. The next time I wanted to fly I was going through my pre flight and I noticed that the Home point was in a different location than where I was. I forced closed and re-opened the app and the current home point was reflected. I didn't think about it again.
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-9-3 12:38
I noticed this happening only once... when I failed to force close the DJI app on my iPhone after using. The next time I wanted to fly I was going through my pre flight and I noticed that the Home point was in a different location than where I was. I forced closed and re-opened the app and the current home point was reflected. I didn't think about it again.

Even DJI is never sure that the Home Point is always correct, because the voice says "... please check it on the map".
2017-9-3
Use props
calmari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64944 ft
United Kingdom

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-3 13:17
Even DJI is never sure that the Home Point is always correct, because the voice says "... please check it on the map".

Yeah and then you get the idiots that say they don't need maps to fly with on their wi-fi only iPad mini's etc.
2017-9-3
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

Thank you Alex :-)
2017-9-3
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-3 12:21
Please upload your flight log (TXT) using the link to the instructions I provided above.

Strange he is not keen to upload the flight log.
2017-9-3
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-3 12:09
Please upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions so that we can see what happened.

Hi DroneFlying.

I have uploaded the file but I don't know what to do with it.
It was only a huge file and I don't know how to read it.
I was a huge pile of flights there and I can't sort out the date in it, relaing on the pros here.

Here is a link

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0390XXHLVF3QWM2CHCQ4/

Why is the file so "old"? ON my desktop it says that it is from beginning of July?
hope it helps and give some answers.

2017-9-3
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

Albatros24 Posted at 2017-9-3 12:33
Check the settings in DJI GO 4 - Map offset for China Option ???

Not ON, thanks anyway.
2017-9-3
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have noticed sometimes it wont announce homepoint was set either nor shows homepoint.  i never checked to see if the home point was stuck in last location or not but when i clicked RTH it came vaguely back to me.. i ensured good sat lock before i took off into the distance.   no fly aways and it comes back  but its location is very rough if i dont manually mark it when it doesn't announce it like sometimes 50 feet off unless i use precise take off point then its spot on..though as expected..     

i made the mistake a few times of flying with no home point announced and not marking it manually... when i realize my mistake i usually pick an area between where i am and where drone currently is that i can easily get to and no one should bother it then mark that location from the air manually..  i use that homepoint as emergency failure spot for is the aircraft experienced a failure like battery drain issue or extreme winds or something..  

a policy i live by is RTH is for emergencies and other problems...  if you can always fly back manually..   being as im going out to an island later this month for a vacation, i do like having the experience of manually flying home..   

also be very mindful of where you set low battery alarms in strange weather and locations.. i think DJi should make a bigger point about this.., i been using 21% for a while, very happy with it, today i nearly lost my mavic pro in the drink..   low battery alarm kicked on with no rth warning about 3/4's of a mile out.. fighting a 7 mph cross wind sort of head on...like wasn't doing my favors coming back, normally 21%  i can bring it back in from 3/4's of a mile, i was in auto landing mode in middle of the river today 900 feet out with 9% battery, means 2 things, the drone slows way down.. and flying forward and up is hard..made even harder with the wind... luckily i made it back..  but rarely was like 2% critical... i dont know how i did it..how it did it...  what surprises me was no RTH warning until my low battery because the cross winds only just started kicking up once i was out that way..i guess or maybe because the app and firmware have a glitch.   basically summery of the story is always set the low battery as a buffer to the environment..dont trust that the software fully comprehends things..
2017-9-3
Use props
CuaC
First Officer
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

It seems related to the odd behavior of the app since the last update: The maps seems to be loading initially at a street in Berlin, then head to your place. It seems that if you didn't close the app completely it defaults to your previous location. Good that you spotted it, everybody should make sure the home point is properly recorded before taking off.
2017-9-3
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-3 22:29
i have noticed sometimes it wont announce homepoint was set either nor shows homepoint.  i never checked to see if the home point was stuck in last location or not but when i clicked RTH it came vaguely back to me.. i ensured good sat lock before i took off into the distance.   no fly aways and it comes back  but its location is very rough if i dont manually mark it when it doesn't announce it like sometimes 50 feet off unless i use precise take off point then its spot on..though as expected..     

i made the mistake a few times of flying with no home point announced and not marking it manually... when i realize my mistake i usually pick an area between where i am and where drone currently is that i can easily get to and no one should bother it then mark that location from the air manually..  i use that homepoint as emergency failure spot for is the aircraft experienced a failure like battery drain issue or extreme winds or something..  

I agree about what you are saying and I just tried RTH Once when I just got the Mavic. How ewer
if the connection is lost I of course want my AC to come. I think we should expect that for this kind of pricy equipment it should of course work as the expectations when we decided to buy it. IE RTH/Smart RTH should work according to specs.

I start and land manually, fly home manually since I want to have control as you say.

But in this case setting the HP manually did't work either it said so in the App when pressing OK, but still the HP where 300 km away according the Screenshots. So something is broken.

I still don't know where the problem lies I just want to have some answers, hopefully from DJI. Just so everybody can make adjustments to avoid mishaps.

Happy flying
2017-9-4
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-3 21:20
Strange he is not keen to upload the flight log.

I sent my log to DJI mail as instructed by DJI Thor, did not receive any response. For me, this chapter is over and I am not looking for solution - just sharing experience when asked ;)
Best Regards
2017-9-4
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

CuaC Posted at 2017-9-3 23:30
It seems related to the odd behavior of the app since the last update: The maps seems to be loading initially at a street in Berlin, then head to your place. It seems that if you didn't close the app completely it defaults to your previous location. Good that you spotted it, everybody should make sure the home point is properly recorded before taking off.

Thanks CuaC, checking HP have always been a thing in my post fly check and will continue to be.

I was planning 3 flight the same day so to save battery on the Iphone I turned it off while traveling so I guess the problem is elsewhere in this case.

Happy flying
2017-9-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-9-3 21:59
Hi DroneFlying.

I have uploaded the file but I don't know what to do with it.

Why is the file so "old"? ON my desktop it says that it is from beginning of July?  hope it helps and give some answers.

Yes, that log was from a flight that occurred on July 5th, and it doesn't show the home point ever being changed from its initial value or any inappropriately large distances between the aircraft and home point. Are you sure it's the right one? Normally I'd ask to see the DAT file instead anyway, but if you're on the .1000 firmware I don't believe you'll be able to extract it.
2017-9-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-9-4 02:03
I sent my log to DJI mail as instructed by DJI Thor, did not receive any response. For me, this chapter is over and I am not looking for solution - just sharing experience when asked ;)
Best Regards

It is of course your choice whether to upload the flight log or not, but without hard data we have nothing to go on but hearsay and speculation from the people who claim to have experienced this. And personally, if someone claims to have experienced a problem but is unwilling to provide the log from the flight when it occurred then I tend to be skeptical about their account of what happened.
2017-9-4
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-4 02:53
Why is the file so "old"? ON my desktop it says that it is from beginning of July?  hope it helps and give some answers.

Yes, that log was from a flight that occurred on July 5th, and it doesn't show the home point ever being changed from its initial value or any inappropriately large distances between the aircraft and home point. Are you sure it's the right one? Normally I'd ask to see the DAT file instead anyway, but if you're on the .1000 firmware I don't believe you'll be able to extract it.

I did a new try to extract some files, and now i found a few hope this one is correct, don't understand the time stamp on them

here is the link
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KVTWHO1HF6MLFDL813A0/#
This is defenitely the place where I was at this point.

Don't understand why it's only ONE file from that time, should't it be more since I landed and turn the AC of?

There is also a .dat file from same time, what can I do with that one?

One more thing, when I playback the flights on the phone there is a home point, getting more and more confused. Seems to me that it's a bug in DJI Go app and the information that is displayed is the "faulty" part.
2017-9-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-9-4 03:32
I did a new try to extract some files, and now i found a few hope this one is correct, don't understand the time stamp on them

here is the link

This new flight log is from September 3rd, but like the last one it only shows the home point being correctly set at the beginning of the flight and it remains unchanged. So if you're sure this is the right flight then I don't know what to tell you, because it doesn't show any odd behavior with respect to the home point.

Don't understand why it's only ONE file from that time, should't it be more since I landed and turn the AC of?

No, I believe you're thinking of the DAT files. A new DAT file is created on the Mavic each time it's powered on, but only one TXT file per flight is created on the mobile device.

There is also a .dat file from same time, what can I do with that one?

The DAT file I'd like to be able to see is on the Mavic but unfortunately you won't be able to extract it because the new .1000 firmware has made that impossible.
2017-9-4
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-4 08:36

This new flight log is from September 3rd, but like the last one it only shows the home point being correctly set at the beginning of the flight and it remains unchanged. So if you're sure this is the right flight then I don't know what to tell you, because it doesn't show any odd behavior with respect to the home point.

HI and thanks for your efforts.

I have two more files from yesterday uploading again them here, don't know if it makes any difference.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8A9C53HX3M213T1OPIQG/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/VV0LRO87Q7TBQESYB3HP/

Well it's so strange cause if you look at the screen shot there is something strange. 306xxx meters to the home point symbol

Thanks for the update on dat file then I know that is not usable

I don't dare to fly until this is solved.

And once again thanks for your efforts.
2017-9-4
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-4 08:36

I deleted the app and reinstalled it just to get closer to a solution, narrow it down. Went for a quick trip and now it looks normal again. I will give it more then 10 minutes the next time just to be sure.

OK now :-)

OK now :-)
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

alex_markov Posted at 2017-9-4 02:03
Best Regards

When did you send the email? Could you please provide me with your ticket number so I can check it?
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Flybee Posted at 2017-9-5 02:16
I deleted the app and reinstalled it just to get closer to a solution, narrow it down. Went for a quick trip and now it looks normal again. I will give it more then 10 minutes the next time just to be sure.

Please keep us updated, besides, could you please export the flight log of this flight, then upload it to the Dropbox? I'd like to forward it to our engineers for analysis.
2017-9-5
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-5 02:36
Please keep us updated, besides, could you please export the flight log of this flight, then upload it to the Dropbox? I'd like to forward it to our engineers for analysis.

Hi Diana.

When you say logs are you referring to the .txt files from the phone?
Since it's not possible to get the logs from the AC.

Here is the Dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6atq0 ... rhqoqMwTmiqkWa?dl=0

2017-9-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-9-5 02:16

Thanks for the follow-up; I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem.
2017-9-5
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-5 15:48
Thanks for the follow-up; I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem.

Im the one that is greatful since your investigation somehow led me to the app.
2017-9-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Flybee Posted at 2017-9-5 05:32
Hi Diana.

When you say logs are you referring to the .txt files from the phone?

Yes, thanks, I've forwarded it to our engineers for analysis, will keep you updated.
2017-9-8
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Germany

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-8 00:51
Yes, thanks, I've forwarded it to our engineers for analysis, will keep you updated.

Sounds great,

Have a nice day
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, it is from our engineers that the issue was resolved by the latest app, please update and test again. Thank you.
2017-9-14
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have been mentioning this issue, ya i have a few weird problems myself with sudden drop off of locked sat locks.. or sometimes it sticks to last number of sat locks it had on last flight only after get it up in the air does the real number appear.  seems that also .1000 has weaker locks on sats than even the spark had when i owned a spark..   i can't imagine that the mavic has always had a weaker lock than the spark.  by weaker i mean like overcast day with passing rain clouds my spark was able to hold onto 17 sats, my mavic is bouncing between 5 and 12..  also flying under my front yard trees, spark maintained a solid lock on 15 sats, mavic shows red 2 bars and bounces around a lot but never manages 15 sats.. and even less leaves now than was when i had the spark so makes no sense?

i have yet to have an atti mode switch mid air even in a gust that rocked my mavic sideways..  

i have had it reset my home point a few times in the past it hasn't dont that lately though.  last time it did that i was 3.5 miles away in another valley with my mavic pro, scarey it didn't even ask me it just said "the home point has been updated, please the check the map"  i did and its all way where the aircraft was.. luckily i didn't need RTH that time.. that was about a week or two ago..  it was during a really weird weather day up at my farm with some violent looking storm clouds but no rain came.  so maybe clouds caused it. it did have home point set before i flew away i always do that on my range runs..

lately my new issue is my mavic doe not obey my RTH height i set... i set it to 50M and it climbs very lazily about 30 meters then starts moving thats if im lucky.. lot of times it just stops in place.. only 120 feet up turns and moves to me..  so usually my new habit lately been when my signal goes to hell i raise my aircraft up as high as i need..then once it drops out and fail safes or battery gets weak...it just comes back safely.

2017-9-14
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-14 20:26
Hi, it is from our engineers that the issue was resolved by the latest app, please update and test again. Thank you.

Thanks for the Info Thor, which btw have very low value since this problem occurred on the latest release on the app.

How ewer I hope the problem is solved but once again you (DJI) show that you have a lot of improvements to do on the software side. (You are by no means alone).

2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Flybee Posted at 2017-9-15 09:38
Thanks for the Info Thor, which btw have very low value since this problem occurred on the latest release on the app.

How ewer I hope the problem is solved but once again you (DJI) show that you have a lot of improvements to do on the software side. (You are by no means alone).

Thanks for bringing us the attention and we appreciate the users' feedbacks which help us to move forward.
2017-9-19
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-19 05:05
Thanks for bringing us the attention and we appreciate the users' feedbacks which help us to move forward.

I might be a missunderstanding cause you Released an update some day Ago and that one hoppfully solved this problem forewer, i Will check it next time after upgrading
2017-9-19
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-19 05:05

I might be a missunderstanding cause you Released an update some day Ago and that one hoppfully solved this problem forewer, i Will check it next time after upgrading
2017-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules