991 14 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Once again, Smart RTH wrecks a shot. I'm filing on the Delaware River, I'm heading towards an Oil Tanker leaving port, closer and closer I get video recording, tug boat doing it's thing, everything in place for a great shot, just as I'm about to fly over the ship BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, ok Smart RTH kicking in and the shot goes to CRAP!!! I was at 7000 feet, little over a mile with 77% battery.

I continued to fly until my battery was 25%, turned and headed home and made it back fine. So 77% RTH kick in would have got me home withlike 60% battery left.

Why won't DJI tell us why this was removed? If it's to protect people surely a newby wouldn't even know what it was and would leave it enabled. Seasoned flyers should have to choice to have as much control over their bird as possible. If I can cancel it and carry on flying then why can't I TURN IT OFF?????

This has killed so many shots for me since it started that I can't believe I'm forced  into dealing with this.

PLEASE DJI return the fucntion to turn this off if desired.

2017-9-3
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

I own the plus controller and the normal (android) controller and that option is still there, its in the sensor settings -  advanced vision settings - turn on smart return to home (i keep mine on the Off position)

2017-9-4
Use props
M109
lvl.4

New Zealand

New update to Android GO4 and ability to turn off battery smart RTH has not returned along with the map view always defaulting to standard view (a couple of versions ago it used to remember which view you left it in, standard, satilite or hybrid) and the histrogram always defaults to a position half covering the Height readout. So nothing has really changed by the look of it.
2017-9-4
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's simple to fix. Use an older version of DJIGo4 (Android). Use it to set the SmartRTH to Off. Then use any "other" version ( if you want...) to operate, i.e. 4.15 etc. or Litchi. After the setting is off, you can use either iOS or Android operating systems. The bottom line is the setting will remain off, until you use the "older" version to re-enable if you so desire. If you are on iOS you're out of luck unless you want to acquire an Android device to keep in your kit.

"Some" people don't want to solve the problem with this solution, and that's your business. But the fact of that matter is that it works, and... you're not "hacking" the firmware. You just choose to use an older version of the Go4 app, and keep working as normal! The choice is yours, or you can keep complaining.

@SM-17 the setting you refer to IS NOT the setting that we are speaking of. Totally different animal...
2017-9-4
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-9-4 14:18
It's simple to fix. Use an older version of DJIGo4 (Android). Use it to set the SmartRTH to Off. Then use any "other" version ( if you want...) to operate, i.e. 4.15 etc. or Litchi. After the setting is off, you can use either iOS or Android operating systems. The bottom line is the setting will remain off, until you use the "older" version to re-enable if you so desire. If you are on iOS you're out of luck unless you want to acquire an Android device to keep in your kit.

"Some" people don't want to solve the problem with this solution, and that's your business. But the fact of that matter is that it works, and... you're not "hacking" the firmware. You just choose to use an older version of the Go4 app, and keep working as normal! The choice is yours, or you can keep complaining.

Heck I'd buy a cheap android device to do this. Can you point me to instructions how to get older app etc. Not familiar with Android.
2017-9-4
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You seem to be obsessed with this topic, you are all over with it.
On the other hand you are vague in regards to details.

You are saying RTH kicks in.
I have never experienced something kicking in without giving me a choice. Unless flying at 10% battery...
Are you saying the drone flies home without asking? No pop-up where you can say "Cancel"?
I do get one warning saying battery is just enough to get home. I cancel it and this won't ruin any shot.

You need to tell more beyond the mantra-like complaining.
Were you flying a mission, did you use Go4 or Litchi? Which were your battery warning settings?
Upload a flight log and screenshots of your app settings.

I'm on latest software/firmware versions and I never even came close to your issue.
Neither with DJI Go4 or GS or Litchi.

2017-9-5
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-5 11:42
You seem to be obsessed with this topic, you are all over with it.
On the other hand you are vague in regards to details.

As you said it's been discussed a lot. When it can be canceled but not until it starts to return home which kills a shot..There was a reason we were given a choice always but none why the choice was taken away. I
2017-9-5
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Sorry for the trouble. Can you see a popup before the aircraft come out "BEEP BEEP BEEP"? We remove it because we think it should automatically enable, and if you don't want the aircraft to return home, you can choose "cancel" in the popup .
2017-9-7
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-7
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-9-4 20:36
Heck I'd buy a cheap android device to do this. Can you point me to instructions how to get older app etc. Not familiar with Android.

check your private messages
2017-9-7
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AidanKless Posted at 2017-9-7 03:31
Sorry for the trouble. Can you see a popup before the aircraft come out "BEEP BEEP BEEP"? We remove it because we think it should automatically enable, and if you don't want the aircraft to return home, you can choose "cancel" in the popup .

No POP UP> Litchi saying DJI will not allow the Pop up in their SDK
2017-9-7
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-9-7 07:40
check your private messages

Yes thanks I already got it back, crazy you have to jump through hoops for something so simple with DJI
2017-9-8
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-8
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-9-8 10:23
Can you get it back with iOS?

You need a Android device to turn it off. Once off it remains off when you go back to your IOS device. I bought a $49 Amazon Fire 7 tablet and did it with that. You need to load an old version of DJI GO on the android, a version that still has the  Smart RTH on and off Toggle.

2017-9-9
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-9-7 21:01
No POP UP> Litchi saying DJI will not allow the Pop up in their SDK

Litchi's latest Beta contains and On -OFF toggle for Smart RTH. They said DJI included it in the latest SDK. Still never understood why DJI removed it and never replaced it.
2017-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules