Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sunrise over the Back Bay in Boston - Fist week w/ the Mavic
1032 19 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zoutv1
Flight distance : 174738 ft

United States

https://youtu.be/MH9ytRftijY

This is a complication of two different days of shooting in the Back Bay of Boston.  Sunrise over the Public Gardens and Copley sq.  The hardest part of having the drone has been nailing down slow/steady joystick commands.  I've had some great footage ruined by a quick jerk of my thumb.  I'm using Hit Film Express 2017 video editor.  It's free and pretty good to get started out.  I can certainly cut this video down and will maybe later.  But man what a PITA as it took about 5hrs of editing for the 5+ minute clip here.  

Let me know what you think compisition wise or how I could assemble the footage better.  Watch it in 4k if you can and have a nice size monitor.  As I said, I know it's too long but I guess I had to 'cram' it all in.
2017-9-5
Use props
zoutv1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 05:56
Nice video.
You have some bold moves (bridge  )

I'd say I have some balls.  All with less than a week of using it. :-)

But I need to edit it down more.  It's a bit too long....
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video.
You have some bold moves (bridge )
2017-9-5
Use props
zoutv1

United States

If anyone else can take a look, I'd appreciate the feedback  :-)
2017-9-6
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I like the architectural exploration, and the drone selfie/ reveal of the first shot in particular. Good choice of 'time of day' for the light - very nice.
2017-9-6
Use props
zoutv1

United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2017-9-6 08:36
I like the architectural exploration, and the drone selfie/ reveal of the first shot in particular. Good choice of 'time of day' for the light - very nice.

Thanks so much!  I'm happy with the results so far and even more so considering this was just my 6th day of owning/flying the drone.
2017-9-6
Use props
eyeloveteeth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015397 ft
  • >>>
United States

looks cool! the 2nd day of filming seemed to have better results? the video starting at 2:40-ish over the water/walkway was significantly crisper!! very cool!!

Did you use any filters? I've been playing with the ND8 and CP filters especially over water and reflective surfaces.

Also, for that building shot in the beginning? where you want to pan up? since you're recording in 4K, you could zoom in for image stabilization and you wouldn't see as much of the wobbling as the Mavic goes up. You lose some 4k quality, but i think the term is like warp stabilization or something.

I'm a novice myself too so learning through your footage as well!!

Where do you launch it when you're in the city? top of building? or ground floor? I've been wanting to do Tysons Corner and Chicago but i don't quite know the logistics for it.
2017-9-6
Use props
zoutv1

United States

eyeloveteeth Posted at 2017-9-6 09:31
looks cool! the 2nd day of filming seemed to have better results? the video starting at 2:40-ish over the water/walkway was significantly crisper!! very cool!!

Did you use any filters? I've been playing with the ND8 and CP filters especially over water and reflective surfaces.

Thanks man!
I just bought an hour ago some high end (PolarPro) ND filters.  Then I can shoot at 1/60th sec for the extra smooth 4k footage.  I didn't know that if you go outside double the framerate for shutter time, it won't look as good.

For the opening shot, I was on the street when I started.  There was a bit of an open space near the sidewalk.  I wanted to keep it in line of sight for the radio waves to have a strong signal.  Also the opening shot you can see a few moments where I jerk the controls.  I don't think I was in tripod mode and there is an insane wind that goes around that building.  I lost that battle.

I look forward to seeing your shots from Chicago.
2017-9-6
Use props
Hotelone4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47320 ft
United States

zoutv1 Posted at 2017-9-5 05:53
I'd say I have some balls.  All with less than a week of using it. :-)

But I need to edit it down more.  It's a bit too long....

Yes you DO have a big pair after only six days of ownership! Any experience with other quads?  The first shot is really very nice.
2017-9-6
Use props
danybd
Flight distance : 234715 ft
Germany

Nice video
2017-9-6
Use props
zoutv1

United States

Hotelone4 Posted at 2017-9-6 10:00
Yes you DO have a big pair after only six days of ownership! Any experience with other quads?  The first shot is really very nice.

Thanks man.  
This is my first ever drone.  So far it's been awesome fun.
2017-9-6
Use props
STRIDE8
Captain
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Great captures.  Did you launch from a rooftop?  You were waaaay up there.. I've had my Mavic for 2 months and still won't attempt that. LOL
2017-9-6
Use props
dolevy
lvl.3

Great work...how did you get permission to fly there? I'd love to do something similar.
2018-5-12
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

This is what we call an Outstanding video.
For this being your first Drone you did an excellent job with the editing.
Thanks for sharing.
2018-5-12
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Captain
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yty tripod mode, really slows the MP down.  Video is still the same speed.  Great nerves!
2018-5-12
Use props
JohnnieYaz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

OMG...dumb
2019-3-20
Use props
JohnnieYaz
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Courtney Regan? Seriously you're over 700 feet in class B airspace, You didnt read any rules and instructions about registering DJI puts in ea drone box, or dont care? Comments are disabled in this Youtube link and I suggest deleting it before otherS get the idea this is OK. faa & AOPA is watching these and using every one to go after our rights using these type of videos as proof.  

It shocks me others here think this is cool, wake up guys and help educate so we can continue to fly. Courtney Regan's are the reason we have bans and new laws almost daly against us flying in cool places. I can see how we're all going to banned from flying before long or have manatory ADS-B.
2019-3-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2019-3-21
Use props
BlueRidge
lvl.1
United States

JohnnieYaz Posted at 3-20 20:15
Courtney Regan? Seriously you're over 700 feet in class B airspace, did you read any rules and instructions about registering DJI puts in ea drone box? Comments are disabled in this youtube link and I suggest deleting it before other get the idea this is OK or posting why you did this and how your sorry. AOPA is watching these and using every one to go after our rights using these videos as proof  It shocks me others here think this is cool. You are the reason we have bans and new laws almost daly against us flying in cool places any longer. I can see how we're all going to banned for flying before long.

The Prudential Building is 906' at its point, and she's above that. Unless she's within 400' of another building, you're right. Flying over people…another no no. This is completely reckless. For having so little experience, you put a lot of people in danger. Fly aways and technical problems can and do happen all the time. What would happen if your Mavic dropped 500, 600, or how ever many feet straight down?
2019-3-23
Use props
JohnnieYaz
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BlueRidge Posted at 3-23 18:17
The Prudential Building is 906' at its point, and she's above that. Unless she's within 400' of another building, you're right. Flying over people…another no no. This is completely reckless. For having so little experience, you put a lot of people in danger. Fly aways and technical problems can and do happen all the time. What would happen if your Mavic dropped 500, 600, or how ever many feet straight down?

Within 400' of a structure doesn't work in Class B Boston. They’ve added the no adding of structure clause in all my waivers and others I've seen.
2019-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules