1723 13 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kiehhei
New
Germany

Hi,
I have a very simple question:
Do you fly your MAVIC with or without the Gimbal Protector (not the clamp, but the tranparent ball).
DJI videos show sometimes the Protector mounted, sometimes not.
I think a problem when mounting it could be the cooling fan of the MAVIC itself.

Regards
Heinrich

2017-9-5
Use props
Fistel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491158 ft
Germany

This topic was discussed often. When I fly - just for practice / fun, I leave the Cover on. But when I´m out for taking nice photos, I always remove it. Too much reflections spoil the footage.
2017-9-5
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Fistel Posted at 2017-9-5 05:25
This topic was discussed often. When I fly - just for practice / fun, I leave the Cover on. But when I´m out for taking nice photos, I always remove it. Too much reflections spoil the footage.

What he said !!
2017-9-5
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I agree with the rest of the posts, there has been some discussion as to the "bubble" blocking the air flow vents located behind the Gimbal, DJI says its OK to fly with it on.
2017-9-5
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

I don't fly with it on. And it can show shadowing on video if the sun catches it at the wrng angle.
2017-9-5
Use props
fans732c5648
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162139 ft
United States

I never fly with the gimbal cover on. There is no value add to doing so.
2017-9-5
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear kiehhei,

It is a common doubt.
And there are pilots that fly with and without.
I can say to you that if you don’t want to take some footage, you should fly with.
There is no problem of overheating the system.
But if you want to take some shots will be better for you to fly without it: because of the glares and shades.
Cheers.
2017-9-5
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

I never fly with the cover, simply because it interferes when making photographs or make video.... and you never know if you see something during flight that you want to capture...
2017-9-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't fly with it on.  Don't use their videos as gospel when it comes to doing things right.  They not only have a video that shows them flying with the clear cover on, but they have one that has the gimbal look still on it while flying.  They have, however, said it doesn't cause a problem to fly with the clear cover on.  As hot as it was this summer when I was flying, I sure wouldn't do it.
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Agree with 2#. Please remove it if you want to take some beautiful pictures or videos.
Prepare the Mavic.png
2017-9-5
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also never fly with it on; absolutely no need. It's not a laborious task to remove anyways.   
2017-9-6
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use the open style gimbal cover still provides some protection

2017-9-6
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... only for flying, not for transporting the MP... you still need to place the Gimbal lock...
2017-9-6
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Its probably not because people are lazy they keep the gimbal cover on, but to protect the fragile gimbal in case of  hard landing or crash. I use the the open style in the picture above just in case......
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules