Drone crashed without me telling it to.
1221 13 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_3IksEpR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49150 ft
United States

I usually operate it around sunset cuz its dead calm on the water...the drone was 400ft away and it became hard to hover like it was in 30knot winds...and a then it headed straight for me, i had no control whatsoever. It crashed into the handrail on the boat at 27mph, the battery is in the ocean, the drone is rendered useless now. Anyone been through this?
2017-9-5
Use props
H83
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18156 ft
United Kingdom

Have you checked your flight logs to see why this happened?
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Was the boat the Mavic's home point?
2017-9-5
Use props
djiuser_3IksEpR
lvl.1
United States

Synched the flight record, reviewed it, and it showed everything. It's online for dji, the ship was the home point.
2017-9-5
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

So, it seems it might have tryed to return home....
2017-9-5
Use props
djiuser_3IksEpR
lvl.1
United States

Programmed to return home @ 160ft not 16ft
2017-9-5
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

RTH speed is 22mph - if going faster than other factors not stated in yr description were apparently in play - best to upload flight data - droneflying is the person who can walk you through how to do that.
2017-9-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Anyone been through this?

Lots of people have reported various kinds of crashes and behavior they didn't expect, but if you really want more than speculation based on your brief description of what happened you'll need to upload the flight log data and provide a link to it here.

At a minimum you should be able to upload the (TXT file) log from your mobile device to PhantomHelp using these instructions. If you're using a firmware version earlier than .1000 and would like a more in-depth look at what happened then retrieve the DAT file from the flight using these instructions, upload it to DropBox, and provide a link to it here. The correct file will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size.
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We are so sorry to hear your accident. Please contact the Support Team and report it: http://www.dji.com/support

We will offer you corresponding solution according to the data analysis result.
2017-9-5
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Just returned from a boat trip in France and did carefully some nice shots with the boat as take-off-base. (I had the styrofoam floaters attached for safety reasons)

My experiences:

1. MP is not so stable over calm waters at low height (2-8m), but that was to be expected and written CLEARLY in the manual. It changes height and shifts sideways continously (but not erratically), sometimes until the floats almost touched the water.

2. My first manual landing attempt gave me a slight shock since MP just approached me with quite a speed, BUT actually MP was in STABLE HOVER, but THE BOAT had a slight drift due to currents in the water. So I had to check the boat to be not moving at all and landing was no issue any more. I didn´t try RTH since I was taking shots with boat moving and changed location.

So, always take into consideration that MP is not so stable on water, especially calm and "mirror-like" water, and that even at subjectively calm wind-situations You will always have the boat drifting by calm winds or water-currents.
2017-9-5
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

One question, why would you tell your drone to crash?
2017-9-6
Use props
djiuser_3IksEpR
lvl.1
United States

Thaank you. 80ft yacht was tied up, id only take off/land on my hand because of the dog hair on deck. The MP has been excellent out on the water dozens of times. That day...somone hacked into it, deliberately crashed it or some software malfunction happend. Cheers  
2017-9-6
Use props
Brokenphones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 489400 ft
Ireland

Bigga J Posted at 2017-9-6 00:03
One question, why would you tell your drone to crash?

He didn't. Drones can get depressed all on their own.
2017-9-6
Use props
djiuser_3IksEpR
lvl.1
United States

Controlled collision, sometimes it has to done, for a quick getaway
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules