12Next >
3179 42 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J.T.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076637 ft
Italy

Since few days instead of the here maps that I have downloaded for the off-line use,the DJIGO4 use google maps instead. Thats great but google maps are not available off-line and there isn't an option for download the maps you need. Somtime rebooting the app solve the proplem and brings back here maps but somtime wont soooo any suggestio or shall I continue flying without the map??
2017-9-5
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Italy

Here some screens
Screenshot_20170903-154335.png
Screenshot_20170904-155947.png
Screenshot_20170905-161405.png
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Hello there, Google maps?
How did you do that?
Which OS are you using, iOS or Android?
2017-9-5
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I do not have google maps.
2017-9-5
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Italy

Yeo I know nobody have gmaps.... so I'm very delighted to be the only one but i'm always in areas where 4g or any tipe of connection are not present sooo no map apart from try at home under wifi...
2017-9-5
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Italy

Galaxy S7Edge Android 7.0 last version of DjiGo4
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

J.T. Posted at 2017-9-5 08:43
Yeo I know nobody have gmaps.... so I'm very delighted to be the only one but i'm always in areas where 4g or any tipe of connection are not present sooo no map apart from try at home under wifi...

Did you hack something or are you the Chosen One who is allowed to use Google Maps?
What is your secret?
2017-9-5
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Italy

You know if I tell you then I have to kill you.... no joke apart I really dont know it appen just once some week ago then I reboot the app because I need here maps to know where my drone where and then nothing for some time since last sunday that the app seems that had decide to open always with google maps.... dont get me wrong  I love gmaps and I use it every day but on the Go4 is not a good think for me that i cant download for offline nor have the connection where i fly...
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

J.T. Posted at 2017-9-5 09:09
You know if I tell you then I have to kill you.... no joke apart I really dont know it appen just once some week ago then I reboot the app because I need here maps to know where my drone where and then nothing for some time since last sunday that the app seems that had decide to open always with google maps.... dont get me wrong  I love gmaps and I use it every day but on the Go4 is not a good think for me that i cant download for offline nor have the connection where i fly...

I think that there are many people on this forum who would love to use Google maps instead of those here maps.
Try to find out how this marvelous download occurred on your mobile device and please share it with us.
2017-9-5
Use props
Landjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61496 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 09:47
I think that there are many people on this forum who would love to use Google maps instead of those here maps.
Try to find out how this marvelous download occurred on your mobile device and please share it with us.

Your thinking is correct. Given the option, I would choose Google.
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Landjet Posted at 2017-9-5 09:59
Your thinking is correct. Given the option, I would choose Google.

I would choose Google maps immediately.
Those here maps look like stuff from a low-tech planet.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 10:04
I would choose Google maps immediately.
Those here maps look like stuff from a low-tech planet.

That's a no brainer indeed.
But you can download offline maps for the app (Google maps).
Not sure if your version (OP) can use that too.
2017-9-5
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Italy

I will choose Google maps too but with the proper option to save the maps for offline use... as you can see from my last picture, that day I had to flown without any maps.... imagine if the drone get lost, you don't have any point on the map to recover it.... or search for it....
I honestly don't change anything in the app and I don't have any knowledge to, lets say, hack the drone nor the app... so i really don't know how to explain this it simply start some week ago and now seems to be solid on google maps.... and for those who's guessing I'm not wery luky too at least usually... maybe my life start to change hahahahah
I read, but maybe this was for the old version of GO4 that the app usegoogle maps where a internet connection is possible and here maps where no internet or 4G are present... but in my case internet or 4g are never present so I can't explain to myself wy I have Google maps.
If you need more screen or any other data just ask me
2017-9-5
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Italy

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 10:13

I usually use offline google map from the google maps app but I don't thik the two apps talk to eachothers and at the moment I don't have any downloaded area....  but i just realize that if at home with internet connection I open the GO4 app and then move in the map, then if I go outside the Google map on the dji app still be present!! it must be a sort of cache or temporary cache for google maps too
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

J.T. Posted at 2017-9-5 10:26
I usually use offline google map from the google maps app but I don't thik the two apps talk to eachothers and at the moment I don't have any downloaded area....  but i just realize that if at home with internet connection I open the GO4 app and then move in the map, then if I go outside the Google map on the dji app still be present!! it must be a sort of cache or temporary cache for google maps too

There is a cache for sure on google maps (the app).

I think they will have implemented the same sort of cache in their API as well.
Worked great for navigating before the offline option.
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 10:13

The only offline maps I can download are here maps.
How can I choose to download Google maps?
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

J.T. Posted at 2017-9-5 10:26

I can only download those here maps for offline use via my home's WiFi.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 10:35
The only offline maps I can download are here maps.
How can I choose to download Google maps?

That is an option in the Google Maps app.
Just click on the menu bar and go to 'offline area' (translated from Dutch, so it might be names somewhat different)

2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 10:39
That is an option in the Google Maps app.
Just click on the menu bar and go to 'offline area' (translated from Dutch, so it might be names somewhat different)

I have downloaded offline Google maps years ago, but how can I use those maps in DJI GO 4?
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 10:48
I have downloaded offline Google maps years ago, but how can I use those maps in DJI GO 4?

That I don't know.
2017-9-5
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

theres no trick to getting google maps on DJI Go... if you use IOS you get the far better google maps but you cant cache areas in the app, if you use the android app you get the poorer Here maps but have the advantage that you can cache areas
2017-9-5
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

U can use the radar circle right? If u dont have maps then just use the red triangle icon to orient yourself back home  ....anyways we needs teh google maps!
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

I thought that this was what we were talking about in this thread, to use Google maps in DJI GO 4.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

We are talking about DJI GO4 with google maps option AND the google maps app (to simplify this thread...)

Not sure how you get Google Maps on GO4 in the first place (OP does not know that either, as far as I can tell from this thread).
But if you have Google Maps on GO4 the OP found out that if you start WITH connection, the GO4 app will cache the map data and you can continue without connection. (to some point probably, that was at least the case with the Google Maps app before they introduced offline maps)
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 12:03
We are talking about DJI GO4 with google maps option AND the google maps app (to simplify this thread...)

Not sure how you get Google Maps on GO4 in the first place (OP does not know that either, as far as I can tell from this thread).

I wonder whether we can trust the OP, I think he has a strange face.
In fact, he looks like an alien...
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 12:07
I wonder whether we can trust the OP, I think he has a strange face.
In fact, he looks like an alien...

Hahahaha.
I must say you look a lot like a Mavic in the grass
2017-9-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 09:47

Um, litchi uses google maps....
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-5 12:28
Um, litchi uses google maps....

I am more and more tempted to buy Litchi as time goes by...
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 12:42
I am more and more tempted to buy Litchi as time goes by...

I did not check before, but it is € 30,99 in the Dutch store.
Feels a lot for an app.
What more would that bring you (comparing to GO4)?
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 13:04
I did not check before, but it is € 30,99 in the Dutch store.
Feels a lot for an app.
What more would that bring you (comparing to GO4)?

The Litchi price is 24,99 Euros in the Google Play Store, but I don't like the very negative recent reviews of that app...
2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 12:17
Hahahaha.
I must say you look a lot like a Mavic in the grass

It's one of my Mavics hovering over grass being photographed by my other Mavic.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-5 13:10
The Litchi price is 24,99 Euros in the Google Play Store, but I don't like the very negative recent reviews of that app...

Ah, the Apple users pay more (as usual).
2017-9-5
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

Actually, getting google maps on GO4 is not difficult.  Here is how to do it on an unrooted android device - http://forum.dji.com/thread-81484-1-2.html.
On a rooted device it is even easier - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... -on-dji-go-4.22335/.
Here is another way to do it with some firewall rules - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... .5758/#post-247013.

I imagine what happened to the OP is that the GO app crashed and the Here map service could not connect back up when it restarted, so it defaulted to google maps.

2017-9-5
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 13:14
Ah, the Apple users pay more (as usual).

I just checked in the App Store from Apple and the price for Litchi is the same as for Android users: 24,99 Euros.
2017-9-6
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Mavicator Posted at 2017-9-5 17:42
Actually, getting google maps on GO4 is not difficult.  Here is how to do it on an unrooted android device - http://forum.dji.com/thread-81484-1-2.html.
On a rooted device it is even easier - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... -on-dji-go-4.22335/.
Here is another way to do it with some firewall rules - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... .5758/#post-247013.

Thank you, I'll look into this in detail, because apparently there is some risk involved in this procedure.
2017-9-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-6 01:49
I just checked in the App Store from Apple and the price for Litchi is the same as for Android users: 24,99 Euros.

You are right, it is a combo with Osmo I found.
That seems fair!
2017-9-6
Use props
J.T.
Second Officer
Italy

I've read all your response and today (my mavic 100th flighr) I've done some test but even with or without internet connection I wasn't able to get GoogleMaps in te GO4 today only here maps every time I open the app... I will read the "how to get GMaps on unrootet devices" but I don't think I will change any app setting... at the timw I'm writing I got a remainder to update the app to 4.1.8 so by the end of the week I'm guessing that I have to do more testing...
2017-9-6
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-6 03:08
You are right, it is a combo with Osmo I found.
That seems fair!

The strange is that in iTunes I have only seen 1 (one) review for Litchi, but in Google Play Store there are many reviews, and some of them are very negative.
Decisions, decisions...
2017-9-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-6 10:43
The strange is that in iTunes I have only seen 1 (one) review for Litchi, but in Google Play Store there are many reviews, and some of them are very negative.
Decisions, decisions...

Tell me about it.. Have not even decided upon the drone...
2017-9-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

J.T. Posted at 2017-9-6 09:37
I've read all your response and today (my mavic 100th flighr) I've done some test but even with or without internet connection I wasn't able to get GoogleMaps in te GO4 today only here maps every time I open the app... I will read the "how to get GMaps on unrootet devices" but I don't think I will change any app setting... at the timw I'm writing I got a remainder to update the app to 4.1.8 so by the end of the week I'm guessing that I have to do more testing...

Curious how that goed
2017-9-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules