Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Warranty question re OTG
2020 14 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedSpaRQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19488 ft
United States

DJI:

Will my Spark warranty be voided if I use an OTG adapter cable to connect my RC to my iPhone? What is DJI take on using OTG to connect RC and my phone?

RedSpaRQ
2017-9-5
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only moderators are qualified to answer this question, but I will say that flying with the DJI Goggles requires OTG connection.  It's difficult to imagine that they would require OTG for goggles and void warranties in any other circumstance.  But stranger things...
2017-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think if it was a real problem to use it, dji would have come out strenuously and said not to use it. If however using OTG causes your aircraft directly to malfunction and crash I think you might have problems, but how this can be proven would be down to dji engineers.

Modifying your aircraft in anyway will always have significant effect on your warranty.
2017-9-5
Use props
brian_b
lvl.3
United States

Does the black box or flight log register when one actually plugs in the cable? Is doing so noted when WiFi is off? Because you donʻt actually have to turn WiFi off and use the cable simultaneously, right? Seems very grey. The drone is not physically modified, the cable goes from the phone to the RC. The connection process is modified, So I wonder how this can be construed as modifying your aircraft and thus voiding warranty.
2017-9-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"The connection process is modified, So I wonder how this can be construed as modifying your aircraft and thus voiding warranty."

Modifying no but voiding warranty is possible, I think.
Flighing in FPV and the videostream is freezing.
If you chrash your bird b/c of having loss of livestream but using wifi Phone/RC, DJI has to deliver.
If you use OTG instead, right now, ......

But I have the strong feeling that they won't seeing it "void".
If so, they wouldnt say "not recommended"
But still they were not accountable, if you chrash your bird during OTG-flights.
Goodwill, so to speak.
And the Spark Community is the voluntary beta tester for this feature.
2017-9-5
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

online support said OTG was OK and can be use so why warranty will be voided ?
2017-9-6
Use props
RedSpaRQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19488 ft
United States

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-9-6 09:05
online support said OTG was OK and can be use so why warranty will be voided ?

Anyone has an official answer from DJI?
2017-9-11
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

RedSpaRQ Posted at 2017-9-11 08:19
Anyone has an official answer from DJI?

official answer was yes. I captured the screen when chart with online support before

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.20.36 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.21.32 pm.png
2017-9-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-9-11 08:53
official answer was yes. I captured the screen when chart with online support before
forum.php?mod=image&aid=57712&size=300x300&key=05033a41a8ff4e86&nocache=yes&type=fixnone[/img]

For your one official answer I can show you 5 different moderators who have clearly said that OTG was not properly tested so they won't advise to use it.
There are many flying without using OTG and getting good range, but for those who want to continue to use it , it is still a grey area.
2017-9-11
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-11 09:33
For your one official answer I can show you 5 different moderators who have clearly said that OTG was not properly tested so they won't advise to use it.
There are many flying without using OTG and getting good range, but for those who want to continue to use it , it is still a grey area.

I don't care for the ambiguity from DJI, but I will say that I have greater confidence flying my use cases (over water) using OTG than without OTG.  My feeling is that I'm decreasing my risks of fly-aways (say a hypothetical mix of going ATTI mode while simultaneously losing RC contact), but increasing my risk that DJI would object to honoring warranty claims when using OTG.  So far I've not had any need to test this.
2017-9-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Just to add, some people still seem to believe that using OTG increases the flight range. In my opinion there is no technical reason that could support this idea, except for us in the CE Mode regions when using OTG allows switching the RC - Spark connection to 2,4 Ghz. But the extended range is then because of the 2,4 Ghz band and not because of the OTG cable.
The advantages of using OTG cable are clearly a more stable connection between Mobile/Tablet and the RC as well as better video stream quality. And this is why I always use the OTG connection. It works perfectly, has no negative impact on any of the other Spark functions and therefore can also not be a reason to put the warranty at risk.
2017-9-11
Use props
Spark User 06
lvl.1

France

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-11 12:08
Just to add, some people still seem to believe that using OTG increases the flight range. In my opinion there is no technical reason that could support this idea, except for us in the CE Mode regions when using OTG allows switching the RC - Spark connection to 2,4 Ghz. But the extended range is then because of the 2,4 Ghz band and not because of the OTG cable.
The advantages of using OTG cable are clearly a more stable connection between Mobile/Tablet and the RC as well as better video stream quality. And this is why I always use the OTG connection. It works perfectly, has no negative impact on any of the other Spark functions and therefore can also not be a reason to put the warranty at risk.

Do you really see a difference between 2.4 and 5.8 ? Honestly I don't...
2018-1-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Spark User 06 Posted at 2018-1-31 03:23
Do you really see a difference between 2.4 and 5.8 ? Honestly I don't...

Honestly I don't care because I never fly far.
2018-1-31
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-31 03:27
Honestly I don't care because I never fly far.

And, that seems to be the problem. People want to fly far, and that’s not what the Spark was designed to do. It’s a selfie drone meant to be flown in close proximity to the pilot.
2018-1-31
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

Rogue0ne Posted at 2018-1-31 03:36
And, that seems to be the problem. People want to fly far, and that’s not what the Spark was designed to do. It’s a selfie drone meant to be flown in close proximity to the pilot.

As long as people don't go over advertised limits which are:

Max Transmission Distance        2.412 - 2.462 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.3 mi (500 m)
SRRC: 0.3 mi (500 m); MIC: 0.3 mi (500 m)
5.745 - 5.825 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.18 mi (300 m)
SRRC: 0.7 mi (1.2 km); MIC: -

I guess there should be no problem with warranty claims.

Even if you fly in Europe by FCC rules (i.e. activating Spark in US, using 4.1.15 or lower and never switching to CE rules once in Europe), warranty should be in place. Note that 4.1.15 and below does not force automatic switch to other region.
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules