3378 13 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

@DJI, Please tell me more? ;-)

Interested in learning all there is to know about this latest iteration... Thank you.

I really like the name, by the way...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

It's a black P4P. Not much more than that. The P4P is well suited for professional applications, but the white design left some users wanting a more professional looking craft. It's like the Inspire 1 Black vs Inspire 1 Pro.
2017-9-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Will this new much darker (murdered out) version, lose some of the original white VLOS quality?

It's already very difficult to keep sight of my Phantom 3 Pro, until I added the visually sightable Lume Cubes.

Aside from the new color, are there no new advantages or parameters?

RedHotPoker
2017-9-5
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Someone at DJI made a mistake in ordering 50 gallons of black "obsidion" spray paint instead of the usual Snow White color.  
They couldn't return it.  
The end.

-hahaha, yes of course I'm kidding... but it could be!
2017-9-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-9-5 16:56
Someone at DJI made a mistake in ordering 50 gallons of black "obsidion" spray paint instead of the usual Snow White color.  
They couldn't return it.  
The end.

My thoughts revolve around what provides better VLOS with visibility being all important.

As I already stated, many of us happily use Lume Cubes LED lights, to help see a Snow White drone, in big sky view...
Not sure if a much darkened, (murdered out) model will lose it's drone to eyeball contact sooner or later...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-5 16:41
Will this new much darker (murdered out) version, lose some of the original white VLOS quality?

It's already very difficult to keep sight of my Phantom 3 Pro, until I added the visually sightable Lume Cubes.

Both the P4P and P4P Obsidian share the same product spec. There is no new advantages.
2017-9-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-5 18:28
Both the P4P and P4P Obsidian share the same product spec. There is no new advantages.

What about VLOS distance? Only your eyes will know that...

Does it show up at further length, or does it turn into a small dark dot, before becoming invisible?

RedHotPoker
2017-9-5
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm going to assume the VLOS is a mixed bag.  Better Visibility in some circumstances, worse in other...  When this thing is a half mile out over the ocean, it is just a dot.  When there are white clouds overhead, Obsidian will be a more visible dot.  When there are saturated dark blue skies overhead, the white P4p will be the easier to spot dot.  Flying in front of a wall of trees?  White is better.  I would imagine that Obsidian would be harder to see in more circumstances than not.  It will be a shadow in the sky.  
2017-9-6
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

Heat absobtion is higher with dark colors. Be aware of this if flying in high heat areas.
2017-9-6
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Richard in Bois Posted at 2017-9-6 05:56
Heat absobtion is higher with dark colors. Be aware of this if flying in high heat areas.

The heat is a real issue.  I would expect to see battery temps rise... this would shorten the time available to fly in summer, and it may lengthen the time in winter.  I wonder what the actual results are.  
2017-9-6
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Still waiting on a blaze orange Phantom.
2017-9-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

TN Lone Wolf Posted at 2017-9-6 07:58
Still waiting on a blaze orange Phantom.

You can certainly dye your drones shell with RIT dyes, or even go free hand with Sharpies.  ;-)

Otherwise, the Autel Pumpkin team is still growing strong.... Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-9-6
Use props
fansc175f6d5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-5 18:23
My thoughts revolve around what provides better VLOS with visibility being all important.

As I already stated, many of us happily use Lume Cubes LED lights, to help see a Snow White drone, in big sky view...

Black....It's the new white. Only you can see it much easier from farther distances! If you don't believe that, paint your birdie black and watch in awe! Or buy the obsidian. Good to see you Poke.

Jim
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansc175f6d5 Posted at 2017-9-8 18:28
Black....It's the new white. Only you can see it much easier from farther distances! If you don't believe that, paint your birdie black and watch in awe! Or buy the obsidian. Good to see you Poke.

I would fear the paint blocking my electronics, inside the shell.

It would be cool though, to dye my drone with RIT dye. They have some awesome colors.

Besides, I can already see my drone's location, from a very great distance away, I'm using Lume Cubes. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules