Torn between P4P or Mavic Pro Platinum
3580 10 2017-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ntxbowhunter13
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I'll explain my situation.  I love the thought of having a more portable and compact drone, a lot of times I need to carry it around in a tractor with me for situations like that.  I've also seen videos of both the p4p and Mavic Pro and the p4p does seem pretty loud and the platinum should be even more quiet than the mavic pro.  I shoot around a lot of wildlife so less noise is definitely a plus.  I just don't want to be sacrificing a lot of image quality if I went with the Platinum.  Does anyone know how much of a difference the new Platinum will have over the Mavic Pro on the fix of the moire issue?  I've heard the 1080p 60fps isn't what it should be on the Mavic Pro and the Platinum has a hardware upgrade that is suppose to fix that?  Anyways, any help is appreciated!  Thanks.

2017-9-6
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Tough choice.  4k totally blows away 1080p, which is what the Phantom 4 Pro has.  The Phantom 4 Pro is a bit noisier, but then again, has greater control and stability for your photo.  Furthermore, it uses a mechanical shutter mounted on a gimbal in which, rocking side to side, almost produces no shaking what so ever.  That is at least my two cents.
2017-9-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You are not really comparing like models. The P4P is way ahead of the mavic in terms of photographic quality, but it is bigger and less portable. So you need to decide whether you want good portability or good photos.

As for the 1080p 60 fps on the Mavic, I examined a piece of footage with MediaPro and it is exactly what it claims.
2017-9-6
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Phantom 4 for pictures/video quality.

Mavic for portability.
2017-9-6
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

They are really quite different.

P4Pro s big USP is the camera. It delivers by far the best image quality from everything but Inspire and up. by far. However, you should be able to understand video processing and regularly consume 4K video on 4K screens. If you only ever watch footage on cellphones or laptops, 1080p is quite sufficient.

Also, if you are serious about photography, P4pro is your drone, it has sensor of SONY's RX100m4. Forget Mavic, it s like a cellphone and only good for instagram and FB..

MAVIC bis USP is being portable, small and unobtrusive. It s a huge difference showing up anywhere with MAVIC vs Phantom. People see it more as a toy and dont mind as much and it comfortably fits in small backpack, super easy to take with you everywhere. That is actually a big, big advantage!Video quality is quite ok for normal use.

Finally, P4 obviously handles smoother video in higher winds, if that matters to you.

hope this helps
2017-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can get some great footage on Mavic no doubt, but as geebax said they are both very different, if your worried about scaring the wildlife they both will even with the low noise animals/wildlife are very susceptible to noise and won't have any problem being disturbed by both.

If it's photography film or stills your interested in , if you buy the Mavic you will always thinking why did I not buy the P4Pro, if portability is your main concern then Mavic is a great choice.
2017-9-7
Use props
ntxbowhunter13
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all for your replies!  I forgot to mention I am coming from a Phantom 3 Pro, how does the Mavic quality compare to my Phantom 3 Pro that just recently took a nose dive into my pond, that's the reason I am needing a new one.
2017-9-7
Use props
Monyx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152677 ft
Australia

FWIW I noticed the FHD (1080) out of my P4Pro to suffer jaggies, the down sampling in the unit doesn't seem very good at all - although concluded from 1 day I shot FHD, I think far better to shoot everything in 4K h.265 and down-sample in post - which traditionally has been the way to render superior FHD video.
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ntxbowhunter13 Posted at 2017-9-7 13:41
Thank you all for your replies!  I forgot to mention I am coming from a Phantom 3 Pro, how does the Mavic quality compare to my Phantom 3 Pro that just recently took a nose dive into my pond, that's the reason I am needing a new one.

There are some straight from the Phantom 4 Pro, it might be helpful: http://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads.

Alternatively, find a local authorized dealer for spot test, I believe the dealer will be glad to help.
2017-9-7
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The new P4 Pro V.2 should be a a tonne quieter than the older versions. I think if camera quality is what you're looking for than the P4 is the bet option, especially with it's higher bitrate and larger sensor. I saw someone before mention that the Mavic Pro is essentially a flying phone camera which is a pretty good analagy, where as the P4 is far more leaning towards the professional side of things. This comparison of the two may also help
2018-5-17
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why not get both?

Jeff
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced