Can you fly lower than the takeoff point
4134 13 2017-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pluggy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33251 ft
United Kingdom

This may be a silly question, so apologies in advance.

I have the Spark Combo and as a relatively new pilot, I'd like to try some cinematic shots in the Avon Gorge or Cheddar Gorge.

If I fly down into the gorge, will the Spark behave itself and return to home at the right altitude. If the altitude is above take off point, flying down into a gorge or lower than a mountain top should register a negative altitude.

Before I do something stupid, has anyone any experience please?

Cheers

Ian
2017-9-6
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Yes it does show a negative altitude in red, i often take off from a high sand dune to cruise over the sea without any problem on negative altitude, just keeping it in line of sight!Enjoy your Spark!
RTH works perfectly also, it rises up to the setted +altitude before returning home.
You will lose gps and wifi connection when you enter into a cave, so be careful...
2017-9-6
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I confirm that you can fly "lower" than takeoff point (or home point).  I flew up at my property a few weeks ago.  It's 40 acres on a mountainside.  I was taking off on the high points of my property to get the best views, and I was subsequently flying around the lower elevation portion of my property.  I had no issues, and the spark worked flawlessly.
2017-9-6
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I agree, I tried the fly lower than take off point and it does fly well in '-' negative altitude ... enjoy and keep line of sight.
2017-9-6
Use props
NdFeB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85013 ft
United States

If you fly lower than home point how high it will fly on RTH?  30m from the point of activating RTH or 30m above home point altitude?  
2017-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your RTH height is always set from your take off point, so if it's 30 metres altitude from take off then it will raise to this height before returning.

One word of warning before entering gorge make sure you have good gps, if you don't and haven't raised your Aircraft above 16 ft, before you start descending you run the risk of your aircraft descending all the way down into gorge.
2017-9-6
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had an issue with my P3A once where I was wanting to circle a POI that was lower than my TO point.  The app wanted me to have a minimum altitude before it would allow me to start and it was showing a negative.  Curious if that were true across platforms and intelligent flight modes.
2017-9-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Yes, you can,  but to ensure the safety, I would recommend you keep it in your line of sight.
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

WayneMHK Posted at 2017-9-6 12:24
I had an issue with my P3A once where I was wanting to circle a POI that was lower than my TO point.  The app wanted me to have a minimum altitude before it would allow me to start and it was showing a negative.  Curious if that were true across platforms and intelligent flight modes.

The minimum altitude of POI mode is 5 meters, you should make sure the altitude of the drone is within 5 m-500m.
2017-9-7
Use props
Pluggy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33251 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone. I went off to try it today, being one of the first flight friendly days of the year and lo and behold, Firmware Update required
2018-5-7
Use props
Jezmo
lvl.4

As the others above mentioned, yes it will be fine. I also think Diana's suggestion is good making sure to keep it in your line of sight. Sparky is an awesome little machine.
2018-5-7
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

I have flown home and RTH many times with not issue.....
2018-5-7
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

YES.......
2018-5-7
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Pluggy,
Looking fwd to see that footage. (been there many years ago)
Be very very carefull ; when unexpected RTH pops-in its out of your control, if any obstacle is above your drone.....well, do not want to see that video!
Good luck.

Cheers
JJB
2018-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules