Whats your furthest distance from home?
1438 18 2017-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nick779
lvl.2
Flight distance : 459610 ft
United States

Please post location, how the Spark was connected (5.8,2.4,OTG etc), and your location

I was actually really surprised with my latest flight, Flying off a very small hill near tons of interference (Cell towers, Apartment buildings, businesses) on WiFi only (Spark on 5.8ghz) I went 8,683Ft or 1.6446 miles (The last 1000 feet was at 500ft, the rest was at 400ft). I could have gone a bit further, but the signal was getting kinda weak.
USA
I use 5.8 on the Aircraft because it technically transmits at a higher power than the 2.4 link according to the specs. Less penetration, but less crowded band and higher transmit power.
2017-9-7
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192930 ft
Spain

How many wifi signal bars (4/4) do you keep when you fly so far away? My issue is that my wifi signal falls to 1/4 as soon as the spark is 10 meters away.

I just readed about RC antennas position, and I'm gonna try as soon as the wind stops, but I don't think that my "bad image transmission" is always caused for a bad antennas direction... (I didn't know about the importance of RC antennas position, by the way).
2017-9-7
Use props
Nick779
lvl.2
Flight distance : 459610 ft
United States

Nemroig Posted at 2017-9-7 06:25
How many wifi signal bars (4/4) do you keep when you fly so far away? My issue is that my wifi signal falls to 1/4 as soon as the spark is 10 meters away.

I just readed about RC antennas position, and I'm gonna try as soon as the wind stops, but I don't think that my "bad image transmission" is always caused for a bad antennas direction... (I didn't know about the importance of RC antennas position, by the way).

At that distance I was at 1 bar, my signal strength slowly goes down as expected with distance.

Always keep your antennas perpendicular to where the spark is. (the flat edge point at the Spark)

I dont know what regulations you have to follow, but the transmit power is significantly reduced in other countries. Still not enough for what youre seeing though. I would make sure youre actually using the remote and not your phone, also check the WiFi connection within the DJI go settings to see if theres a bunch of interference.
2017-9-7
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Belgium,Spark with wifi 5.8 and RC, almost 500m over sea, then connection died and auto RTH, no further problem.
2017-9-7
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lake McConaughy Nebraska, OTG cable.  I went out 3600 feet and returned.  I could have gone farther, but it's challenging for me to keep LOS that far out.
2017-9-7
Use props
ANHTUANNN503
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17986 ft
Netherlands

For me the furthest was 1546m in the Netherlands in a normal neighborhood with a lot of other wifi signals. But my connection is always fluctuating depending on interference of other wifi signals.
2017-9-7
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

The furthest I have gone out is 1051m on 2.4 in Melbourne, Australia. I would have liked to have gone further obviously but the warning: command timeout kept appearing and the spark returning to home.
2017-9-7
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WIFI only 350m @ 30m high.
Yes.. 0.600 firmware., S7edge.. wifi only, no boosters, no wind surfers.
Open grassy field, dropbear free zone - Sydney, Australia.
2017-9-7
Use props
WilfredFireStee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182215 ft
Argentina

Live in UK furthest i've been is 120m up and 300m forward, I lose connection generally at about 200m away from me; always have. I've mentioned it on many threads and thinking i'm gonna return it to Maplin soon and i still get consistant video latency problems.
2017-9-8
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192930 ft
Croatia

Nick779 Posted at 2017-9-7 06:42
At that distance I was at 1 bar, my signal strength slowly goes down as expected with distance.

Always keep your antennas perpendicular to where the spark is. (the flat edge point at the Spark)

Thanks Nick for your reply. I'll check about antennas position. Thanks again.
2017-9-8
Use props
Jr 5542
lvl.3
United States

I get about 2700 ft with just the wifi.
2017-9-8
Use props
Rubik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1224921 ft
United Kingdom

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-9-8 01:21
Live in UK furthest i've been is 120m up and 300m forward, I lose connection generally at about 200m away from me; always have. I've mentioned it on many threads and thinking i'm gonna return it to Maplin soon and i still get consistant video latency problems.

Video latency, I have had latency up to 30secs slow.
2017-9-10
Use props
Rubik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1224921 ft
United Kingdom

Nick779 Posted at 2017-9-7 06:42

Be rest assured you are not the only one having these issues.

DJI want to sell their products but don't make the answers easy to find.. If at all.
2017-9-10
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 194944 ft
United States

Over Lake Michigan, made it to 7200 ft on the first pass and chickened out.  Then on 2nd pass I hit 8,000 ft. before I got too many connection drops and had to bring it back.  All in default settings, no OTG.

2017-9-10
Use props
WilfredFireStee
lvl.4
Argentina

Rubik Posted at 2017-9-10 08:07
Video latency, I have had latency up to 30secs slow.

Got a new record at the weekend. Did my all time best distance in straight line away from. An EPIC 360m.... i had the weak image transmission message from i'd say 80m out and it did not go away once. It only went black and white and gave the NO SIGNAL at 360m which i managed to shake by begrudgingly swicthing on sports made and backing up before RTH was initiated. No i know i'm an android user but this is really making me think i'm gonna have to return the Spark in the next couple of weeks
2017-9-11
Use props
scorpionro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 211355 ft
United States

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-9-8 01:21

I also fly it in the UK and I got up to around 300m away from me. At around that point the video starts getting quite choppy. I did experience a couple of cases where I've lost the video feed, but not that many really. I do set it manually to 2.4GHz each time (it insists on defaulting to 5.8GHz - wouldn't it be nice if it would remember the last setting )
2017-9-11
Use props
WilfredFireStee
lvl.4
Argentina

scorpionro Posted at 2017-9-11 06:23
I also fly it in the UK and I got up to around 300m away from me. At around that point the video starts getting quite choppy. I did experience a couple of cases where I've lost the video feed, but not that many really. I do set it manually to 2.4GHz each time (it insists on defaulting to 5.8GHz - wouldn't it be nice if it would remember the last setting  )

Yes exactly that!! I don't know whether to send it back to Maplin for maintenance or just deal with the video lag. I mean i can just see the spark at a distance of 350m so going any further would be risky especially if i lose connection fully. So i won't be flying any further than that on the most part but the constant video stream lag / latency issues are very annoying and don't inspire confidence in flight!!! Watched a youtube video of some idiot flying 4400m out to see and trying to get his spark back in a strong head wind, he didnt deserve to get it back but he did, as hazardous as he was but he didnt once get the weak video transmission error even at 4000 metres away!!!!
2017-9-12
Use props
scorpionro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 211355 ft
United States

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-9-12 00:10
Yes exactly that!! I don't know whether to send it back to Maplin for maintenance or just deal with the video lag. I mean i can just see the spark at a distance of 350m so going any further would be risky especially if i lose connection fully. So i won't be flying any further than that on the most part but the constant video stream lag / latency issues are very annoying and don't inspire confidence in flight!!! Watched a youtube video of some idiot flying 4400m out to see and trying to get his spark back in a strong head wind, he didnt deserve to get it back but he did, as hazardous as he was but he didnt once get the weak video transmission error even at 4000 metres away!!!!

He was probably in FCC mode, which allows higher TX power and we're in CE mode, which is severely limited.
2017-9-12
Use props
WilfredFireStee
lvl.4
Argentina

scorpionro Posted at 2017-9-12 03:37
He was probably in FCC mode, which allows higher TX power and we're in CE mode, which is severely limited.

Ahhh the voice of reason.... Yes exactly!
And in fairness even if i could go that distance,  I wouldn't do it; way too sketchy, especially in the high wind he flew it. Zero pre flight checks!!!
2017-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules