12Next >
6104 60 2017-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I know the FAA says that we have to keep VLOS on our drones, but I often look down to see battery levels, verify direction and height as well as warnings that pop up.  When I look back, it's often hard to relocate my drone.  

I read a post recently, where the poster felt it was foolish to even bother looking at the screen.  As a noob, I want to know what some of the other folks around have to say about it.  

Thanks in advance for your input.

Single SelectVote, Total 71 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

18.31% (13)
14.08% (10)
23.94% (17)
19.72% (14)
23.94% (17)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-9-7
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

One must share their time between the aircraft and screen to be safe. Imho
2017-9-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Close eye on going out.  Close eye coming back.
2017-9-7
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-7 07:58

Once I;ve checked out battery levels, satellite count on take off & landing, If i tried watching my bird, especially on those long Litchi waypoint missions, heck , I'd go nuts trying to spot her!
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Now a days, I can do both equally without worry of losing sight of the drone, if I glance down at the monitor to check battery values, or to change my camera controls.

Having Lume Cubes mounted to my landing skids, allows me to see my drone much farther away, than just bare eye sight and onboard LEDs.

I usually try to maintain VLOS, which had previously often become much harder the farther away I flew.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Yeah... that's what I do as well... I can't imagine focusing on the screen while trying to bring it back in... Thanks
2017-9-7
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-9-7 09:39
Once I;ve checked out battery levels, satellite count on take off & landing, If i tried watching my bird, especially on those long Litchi waypoint missions, heck , I'd go nuts trying to spot her!

I think I am going nuts trying to keep an eye on her..... Just hard to see... I wonder if the Obsidian will be any easier to see during bright daylight flights.
2017-9-7
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 09:46
Now a days, I can do both equally without worry of losing sight of the drone, if I glance down at the monitor to check battery values, or to change my camera controls.

Having Lume Cubes mounted to my landing skids, allows me to see my drone much farther away, than just bare eye sight and onboard LEDs.

What are Lume Cubes?  Do you use them all the time?
2017-9-7
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

You really have to do both. If you can't pick up the drone again after looking down at your screen,  strobes can be helpful. I use these:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/StrobonCreeStrobeLight/

Small and extremely bright.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-7 10:46
What are Lume Cubes?  Do you use them all the time?

Yes, mine have become a permanent add on.

It's great while in one of the strobe modes, as the blinking LED diodes are extremely bright, very visible.

http://www.lumecube.com/164.html

I put the Light Houses on mine too, adding red and blue gel filters for a more authoritative look. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

As a former professional mariner, I've been trained to monitor my instruments at all times, along with keeping an eye out in front o the ship.  
DJI gives us all this great navigational equipnent to pilot with;  Navigational chart, GPS tracking, Compass, Height, speed, battery life... plus the drone itself has the camera to give you the view of what is in front of it that you might not see from a distance.  
"Trust your instruments, but keep your eye out on the horizon" is what I've always practiced.
2017-9-7
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

I painted the drone bright orange on the front and bright green on the back.. it is so easy to loose sight of the all white drone. I tried a small LED strobe on the bottom but bright sun light just washed the strobe out.
2017-9-7
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 11:56

It's great while in one of the strobe modes, as the blinking LED diodes are extremely bright, very visible.

Cool.... Don't think I will spend the money... but I see very well (no pun intended) why you have them.  Do you use them during the day at all?  Just twilight, Evenings...?
2017-9-7
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RMJovo Posted at 2017-9-7 13:18
I painted the drone bright orange on the front and bright green on the back.. it is so easy to loose sight of the all white drone. I tried a small LED strobe on the bottom but bright sun light just washed the strobe out.

Yeah... I would think so.... Send a pic of your drone... Love to see it.... Thanks
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-7 13:42
Cool.... Don't think I will spend the money... but I see very well (no pun intended) why you have them.  Do you use them during the day at all?  Just twilight, Evenings...?

Yes, during the brightest days, without filters, the blinking white lights can be seen clearly for several miles away. That's why I bought them, for better visibility during the day. I've lost sight of my drone a couple of times during the afternoons when the sky was clear, or overcast.  Had to use the map view to figure out where I was and how to bring it back safely.  Since I've added the extra lights, it's been much easier to keep track of it. Particularly, when I look down at the screen, and look back up, only to find I've lost sight of it, now they can be easily seen & remain clear.

The awesome flights, in the night... ;-)
Not that I need them. One nice thing about the onboard LED's on my Phantom 3 Pro, red up front and green in the rear, is that they provide plenty of orientation guidance when flying in the darkness of the moonlight. As long as you are flying high enough to keep them visible.  I think they look nice when flying at night.  Some different drones have other colors as well.

But I've added the light house to my cubes and can put different colors magnetically to them, for a different look. These are also used more in the line of photography to enhance the ambient lighting of the objective subject or scenery.

Check out some of the photo or video galleries.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Where is the 50%~50% option?

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-7 13:46
Yeah... I would think so.... Send a pic of your drone... Love to see it.... Thanks

I used blue painters tape to seal up the motor area and camera area and painted from the bottom area where the gray white come together to where the top starts to curve up, leaving the top and side white. Also left the area around the lights alone. In hindsight you only need to paint about a 2 inch square  right in the middle on the very front and a small horizontal stripe on the arms in the back.  Make sure you seal the area around the battery area as you don't want paint in the electronic area.
2017-9-7
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

I watch the drone all the way out to the spot I want it at then I watch the screen to make sure I'm exactly where I want to be from that point I'm looking at both constantly switching back and forth I make sure I'm not playing any music or sounds that I don't need to hear so I am tuned into the surroundings. I want to hear any aircraft from as far away as possible just incase any are flying low
2017-9-7
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Simple like that, with one exception: when I fly low'n'slow, I'm ignoring screen totally. I mean really low, like 2-3' above ground or water, between trees or rocks. No one can absorb and digest constant stream of informations and warnings during such flight ...
2017-9-7
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I mostly watch the quad but glance at the iPad occasionally for the important info like battery level, etc. Fortunately, the wife goes with me, so even when I'm not looking at the quad, she is.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RMJovo Posted at 2017-9-7 13:18

Can you post a pic of your drone? I would like to see how you improved your VLOS.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well must admit I watch as it lifts off then lose sight and use the iPad. Then after determining I haven't a clue where I am I hit the RTH. Actually by and large after >250m vertical it's hard to pick up the craft so screen flying in the go.
I have some strobes but haven't mounted them yet. Am beginning to think RedHotPoker is right and LumeCube are easiest to fit.
2017-9-7
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I try to keep my eyes on the controller screen, because if I try to keep my eyes on the drone I go crazy. I only look at the drone when it is returning home and about to land.
2017-9-8
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 14:59
Where is the 50%~50% option?

Kinda hidden in option 3.... 60% - 40%....(the 50% is inside....).

Not super clear.... this was my first survey... I wanted to balance out the number of ways (10% intervals or 25% intervals?) vs making the data meaningful.  

Didn't mean to obfuscate...

R
2017-9-8
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-7 17:43
Simple like that, with one exception: when I fly low'n'slow, I'm ignoring screen totally. I mean really low, like 2-3' above ground or water, between trees or rocks. No one can absorb and digest constant stream of informations and warnings during such flight ...

Yeah, I am with you there.... My hands could be on fire, but if my drone is 3 foot over water.... it has 100% attention.  
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-8 07:29
Kinda hidden in option 3.... 60% - 40%....(the 50% is inside....).

Not super clear.... this was my first survey... I wanted to balance out the number of ways (10% intervals or 25% intervals?) vs making the data meaningful.  

Fail!! Please turn in your knife to the judges....  Ever watched "Forged In Fire"?

Yeah, I get it, bunched in with them others. Anyway, good job. Getting the averaged numbers.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Same for me.  Ignorance is bliss.  And I'm not really sure what those joysticks do either.  I just wave them around and press all the buttons I can find with my eyes closed.  Seems to work pretty well so far......
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-8 11:31
Same for me.  Ignorance is bliss.  And I'm not really sure what those joysticks do either.  I just wave them around and press all the buttons I can find with my eyes closed.  Seems to work pretty well so far......

So you are flying in 3D? That must be exhausting... Ha

Look out for that Flock of Seagulls.... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

The best solution: have another person by your side, who can put eyes all the time on the drone, while you are piloting it by the screen.
Otherwise I'm rather confused - how can anybody see the drone in more than 500m distance and how can you do the shots and take video if you don't look at the screen?

Andy
2017-9-8
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

andy10 Posted at 2017-9-8 12:40
The best solution: have another person by your side, who can put eyes all the time on the drone, while you are piloting it by the screen.
Otherwise I'm rather confused - how can anybody see the drone in more than 500m distance and how can you do the shots and take video if you don't look at the screen?

See... that's exactly my point.... I can't do it... and I don't have a spotter with me...
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Add better brighter LED diodes for much further VLOS.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
Flight distance : 410499 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 11:56

I like this.  I think I'll have to look into them as well.  
2017-9-8
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-8 11:31

Kneepuck, you're evil! Cetacean called me once the same for my sarcastic comment ... But we all need some fun ...
2017-9-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-8 16:22
Kneepuck, you're evil! Cetacean called me once the same for my sarcastic comment ... But we all need some fun ...

Guilty as charged.  But in truth,  I use the same technique while playing Madden NFL Football game on the playstation.  Come to think of it,  that may be why I often lose.
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-9-8 15:03
I like this.  I think I'll have to look into them as well.

Yes, they are a great investment, but worth the price, as they can be used in any of your other photography too, be it with an iPhone or actual dslr camera.  Preferably Nikon. ;-$

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-8 17:49
Yes, they are a great investment, but worth the price, as they can be used in any of your other photography too, be it with an iPhone or actual dslr camera.  Preferably Nikon. ;-$

I'm a Nikon man as well.
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Oh that's cool. They have been my go to camera team, for many years.
Sporting a D800 with an 80-400mm lens. The newer version. ;-)

The newest body on the block, is the much anticipated D850, with a wopping 45megapixel shot.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

D7100 here.  I usually shoot with a 18-105mm lens, but my favorite is my old Nikkor 55mm macro lens.
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-9-8 21:49
D7100 here.  I usually shoot with a 18-105mm lens, but my favorite is my old Nikkor 55mm macro lens.

Yes, I still like the portrait lens on my old Nikon FE as well.  Great glass. So clear.

Gosh, to reminisce. Hard to believe how many years have passed, since I bought my first 110 pocket shooter.
Who would have ever thought, we would be shooting video and pics with a flying camera platform?
Instead of looking through a viewfinder, we are watching an awesome HD monitor...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

The best in all cases is to always have the drone in visual because the application djigo is not necessarily very reliable there the drone, normally the remote will always be connected to the drone, it is easy to control, the left led is always green if the contact is always set, it turns red otherwise
2017-9-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules