Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SIMPLE WAY TO GET GOOGLE MAPS INSTEAD OF HERE :)
12Next >
15982 45 2017-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120141 ft
United States

Simple way to get Google maps instead of Here in android (which sucks)   So.. Open the DJI GO app.. select your phantom and go into camera mode.  Here maps will show up.  
Now swipe down the screen from the top and select the android gear (settings).   Go into your apps  and select the DJI GO app.   scroll down till you see "permissions" tap on it and
turn off "location"   after you do that,, turn location on again.  Now go back to the DJI GO app that was previously opened and... you are welcome.  

-If you get out of the app touching the little home button on the upper left corner it will revert to here... if this happens simply do the steps mentioned above again.  Cheers/.

Do at your own discretion.

Always make sure your home point is not changed. Never happened to me but you never know. If it does, don't panic and select the option in dji go app to set the home point where you are standing on rather than where the drone is.

Have a good weekend!

2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Thankfully, us Canadians still have the original Google maps, and can appreciate all the scenery....
Even if it is a little behind...
To change the dynamic home point with an iOS device, it must have Cellular ability, as those have the built in GPS module.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 09:55
Thankfully, us Canadians still have the original Google maps, and can appreciate all the scenery....
To change the dynamic home point with an iOS device, it must have Cellular ability, as those have the built in GPS module.

I guess it is true that iOS still have google maps..
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Gerardo Rejec Posted at 2017-9-7 10:06

Yes, it has never changed for us, from day one, of the Phantom 3 Pro.

I have seen pics of those stark, blank Here maps, that's tragic...

I think iOS devices work better too, but I can't verify this thought personally.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 10:08
Yes, it has never changed for us, from day one, of the Phantom 3 Pro.

I have seen pics of those stark, blank Here maps, that's tragic...

Yeaph... Here is bad... I wouldn't mind it much if it didn't render my video feed useless, but for some reason when the app uses here maps, in my phone at least,  it wrecks the fun.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Gerardo Rejec Posted at 2017-9-7 10:20
Yeaph... Here is bad... I wouldn't mind it much if it didn't render my video feed useless, but for some reason when the app uses here maps, in my phone at least,  it wrecks the fun.

One area that makes it fun to fly, is our old defunct Municipal Airport, in our fair city centre.

Even though the area has been under development and construction, when you play back the video flight archive, the runways and airport facilities are still in the background. I like that.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 10:21
One area that makes it fun to fly, is our old defunct Municipal Airport, in our fair city centre.

Even though the area has been under development and construction, when you play back the video flight archive, the runways and airport facilities are still in the background. I like that.

Nice!.   Not much to see around here in CT where I live..   it is all nothing but trees lol
2017-9-7
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Germany

iOS has it's own map version, it is not Google maps.
You can install Google maps on your device but the Go4 app will show the iOS map.
2017-9-7
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-7 10:49
You can install Google maps on your device but the Go4 app will show the iOS map.

Oh,, yeah I see
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-7 10:49

Which ever it is, works very well. Most enjoyable indeed. Hahaha

I wouldn't have it any other way... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

LOL, I was going through all the steps Gerado Rejec was saying to do, until ... OH YEAH, I DO have an iPhone.  Yep, still got Google maps as an option, so I guess this is for Android users.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-7 12:23
LOL, I was going through all the steps Gerado Rejec was saying to do, until ... OH YEAH, I DO have an iPhone.  Yep, still got Google maps as an option, so I guess this is for Android users.

Yup, anyone using an awesome iOS device has been spared the misery.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-7 12:23

hahah  well.. thamks for trying.. lucky you.. I am still wondering if it works on other peoples androids
2017-9-7
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Well - isn't that grand! just tried on my S5 and it worked! I 'm not connected t the P3S yet but I got my Google maps back.
Sure would like to know how you discovered this little trick.
Thanks!

2017-9-7
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Palladous Posted at 2017-9-7 13:11
Well - isn't that grand! just tried on my S5 and it worked! I 'm not connected t the P3S yet but I got my Google maps back.
Sure would like to know how you discovered this little trick.
Thanks!

Honestly..  it was a slow day at the office.. and this has been something that was bugging me for a great deal of time.. to the point that I switched to rc traxxas trucks...   so today I was just wondering there must be a way to fool the system into making google maps load before here maps...since here maps suck I thought for some weird reason that it wpuldnt be as fast as google maps to load. I wanted to disable here maps permission first but didnt have that option...  only to disable the whole option... so I tried it anyways...  and It worked
2017-9-7
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Eureeka! It works. Thanks for the input. Looks like you still have to go through the process whenever you open the app again though.
2017-9-9
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2017-9-9 07:00
Eureeka! It works. Thanks for the input. Looks like you still have to go through the process whenever you open the app again though.

True.. whenever u open the app again you have to go through the process again..  but at least I am glad it is working for you guys as well as me
2017-9-9
Use props
Eric ncfwa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322526 ft
Australia

I would like to have the option to load & use my own choice of maps for flying,  I can do this on my vehicle GPS unit, on the GPS I have detailed maps that I have added and even some SAT photos I can switch to without the need of internet access, maybe one day this might happen, we live in hope.

Regards
Eric
2017-9-9
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Gerardo:

Thank you for posting that very simple method for uploading Google Maps.  It works great for me.
2017-9-9
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Goldchucker Posted at 2017-9-9 17:44
Gerardo:

Thank you for posting that very simple method for uploading Google Maps.  It works great for me.

You are welcome.. I am glad it worked for you too
2017-9-9
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Wow def worked on my s8+ ..  sweet! Thanks!
2017-9-9
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-9 20:14
Wow def worked on my s8+ ..  sweet! Thanks!

nice! I am glad it worked
2017-9-9
Use props
Jester27
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26135 ft

United Kingdom

Just got my P3S a couple of weeks ago and wondered why it didnt say google on the maps
Just tried this, this morning and it works a treat
thank you
2017-9-10
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Thanks for the info, works fine on my Galaxy S5, tried it using my Crystal Sky to no avail, will not let you access App management.
2017-9-10
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 09:55

Speak for yourself (& other iOS users). Canadian Android users, not willing to constantly tweak Dji-Go,  have had to endure Here since day 1. I have android and iOs. While the latter never had Here I still prefer Google maps on ANY device. On your iOs load Dji-go then load Litchi. Compare maps. Which is better??

2017-9-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks a lot!
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bourgeois Posted at 2017-9-10 04:48
Speak for yourself (& other iOS users). Canadian Android users, not willing to constantly tweak Dji-Go,  have had to endure Here since day 1. I have android and iOs. While the latter never had Here I still prefer Google maps on ANY device. On your iOs load Dji-go then load Litchi. Compare maps. Which is better??

I don't do Litchi, so I can't complain. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Yes it worked as advertised, thank you
One question...when I went back to the GO 4 App it paused for several seconds with a blank/black screen then came up with google maps.  Is that normal or is my processor getting taxed by this action?  While I much prefer google maps to here I don't need the app freezing or crashing on me, that would be worse.
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-9-10 02:33
Thanks for the info, works fine on my Galaxy S5, tried it using my Crystal Sky to no avail, will not let you access App management.

Sorry to hear It didnt work in your Crystal sky device..  would be great if it did
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-10 06:52
Thanks a lot!

you are welcome
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 09:45
One question...when I went back to the GO 4 App it paused for several seconds with a blank/black screen then came up with google maps.  Is that normal or is my processor getting taxed by this action?  While I much prefer google maps to here I don't need the app freezing or crashing on me, that would be worse.

if take a look at my video you will see that when I do these steps it also takes a few seconds to open the app again.. this is why I tried flying my drone carefully at first because I was worried that this action might cause inestability..  but nothing that I could do to create a problem ever became a problem.
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Gerardo Rejec Posted at 2017-9-10 09:52
if take a look at my video you will see that when I do these steps it also takes a few seconds to open the app again.. this is why I tried flying my drone carefully at first because I was worried that this action might cause inestability..  but nothing that I could do to create a problem ever became a problem.

Very good...so to be sure you did/don't experience any lag or delay, crashes, etc. pretty much operates as normal?

Good on you figuring this out, wish we could find a few more work arounds for some of the other quirks like having to log in to the App before you can start up, I really don't like that feature at all.
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 09:45

if you take a look at my video you will see that when I do these steps it also takes a few seconds to open the app again.. this is why I tried flying my drone carefully at first because I was worried that this action might cause inestability..  but nothing that I could do to create a problem ever became a problem.
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 09:55
Very good...so to be sure you did/don't experience any lag or delay, crashes, etc. pretty much operates as normal?

Good on you figuring this out, wish we could find a few more work arounds for some of the other quirks like having to log in to the App before you can start up, I really don't like that feature at all.

True.. my drone works like it always did after trying these steps.. no lag.. In my case this was a necessity  cause it would lag very bad with here maps...  your phone might be firrefent than mine.. some can get away with here maps.. in my case it renders my drone useless
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

regarding logging into the app before you start up.. I think this is  good feature..  because this way you can check that all parameters are as they are supposed to be..  like..  the gains...  the sensor states..    the rth altitud.. and very important the compass readings .. which I always check that is is below 1500  
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Gerardo Rejec Posted at 2017-9-10 10:00
True.. my drone works like it always did after trying these steps.. no lag.. In my case this was a necessity  cause it would lag very bad with here maps...  your phone might be firrefent than mine.. some can get away with here maps.. in my case it renders my drone useless

Very good
uh, why would here cause that, admittedly I know nothing about here maps, where they are from, who makes them, notta...
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 10:06
Very good
uh, why would here cause that, admittedly I know nothing about here maps, where they are from, who makes them, notta...

To be honest I have no idea.. do Here maps also make your video feed lag?   
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Gerardo Rejec Posted at 2017-9-10 10:25
To be honest I have no idea.. do Here maps also make your video feed lag?

Not that I was able to detect, still very new to all this so I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in my observations for now in that area.
I've heard a lot of folks say not nice things about 'here' but that is about all I know of them.  Someone indicated they were China maps, if so may explain it.  While I'm no fan of google it is undeniable that their maps are prime.  May be something to do with china and google in why they use here, who knows.  I'd prefer products not be affected by geo politics, but that is likely a pipe dream.
Eventually I'll figure out this here thing, not that it will matter one way or the other, I'll use google whenever and however possible.  
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 10:26
Not that I was able to detect, still very new to all this so I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in my observations for now in that area.
I've heard a lot of folks say not nice things about 'here' but that is about all I know of them.  Someone indicated they were China maps, if so may explain it.  While I'm no fan of google it is undeniable that their maps are prime.  May be something to do with china and google in why they use here, who knows.  I'd prefer products not be affected by geo politics, but that is likely a pipe dream.
Eventually I'll figure out this here thing, not that it will matter one way or the other, I'll use google whenever and however possible.

yupp I hear you..
2017-9-10
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
United States

Has anyone else tried this?
2017-9-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced