Check out this drone parachute for the p4!
2067 29 2017-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trekz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3245 ft
United States

https://www.wetalkuav.com/drone-parachute/
2017-9-7
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Pretty interesting concept.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Why would you need one, What catastrophe would require such an item??

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Given the placement on the P4P, wouldn't the lines for the chute get wrapped up in the props?  Just a thought, but still, better to fall at a slower descent than like an asteroid bound to wipe out the dinosaurs.
2017-9-7
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 12:01

People who like to tie a string with a doughnut attached to their drone so they can film seagulls chasing their P4P.  -That's one group of people who would probably want this.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-7 12:11
People who like to tie a string with a doughnut attached to their drone so they can film seagulls chasing their P4P.  -That's one group of people who would probably want this.

Hell, I would chase your drone too, in hopes of a delicious Crispy Creme delight. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

There was a guy who had one of these and posted on the other site maybe a year ago.  His chute opened up when it shouldn't have, and he lost the AC.  To the company's credit, they replaced the AC.  
2017-9-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Hmmmm  Geranimo !!!
2017-9-7
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286411 ft

United States

Look like they have a mighy hard landing at a cost of $270.00
2017-9-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Agree with Lectro, the chute landing still seems hard to me.  In light of cracked shells and struts it seems you may save the major component, but you are still going to get damage that will require repair.  Also agree for everything I've every read about Phantoms, they rarely if ever just fall out of the sky, short of a battery problem which is debatable as to who's fault that might be.  Either way, a malfunction and or premature deployment can cause as many problems as this proclaims it can solve.  All in all it is a solution in search of a problem.  I would wait to see if they evolve and improve this product line, especially in the area of descent rate and reliability.  
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I wouldn't try using that system. It doesn't seem safe or effective.
There are other manufacturers though...
https://www.marsparachutes.com

https://fruitychutes.com/uav_rpv_drone_recovery_parachutes.htm

https://parachutedrone.com/en/

RedHotPoker

2017-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-7 20:38
Agree with Lectro, the chute landing still seems hard to me.  In light of cracked shells and struts it seems you may save the major component, but you are still going to get damage that will require repair.  Also agree for everything I've every read about Phantoms, they rarely if ever just fall out of the sky, short of a battery problem which is debatable as to who's fault that might be.  Either way, a malfunction and or premature deployment can cause as many problems as this proclaims it can solve.  All in all it is a solution in search of a problem.  I would wait to see if they evolve and improve this product line, especially in the area of descent rate and reliability.

The other issue is the reliability of the system that decides to deploy the chute. And given there is no connection to the systems in the Phantom, there is a good chance the chute may deploy while the motors are going flat out, with the result that the shroud lines get wound up in the props.
2017-9-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-7 20:42
The other issue is the reliability of the system that decides to deploy the chute. And given there is no connection to the systems in the Phantom, there is a good chance the chute may deploy while the motors are going flat out, with the result that the shroud lines get wound up in the props.

Concur, that would be a case of the cure being worse than the disease
2017-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-7 21:46
Concur, that would be a case of the cure being worse than the disease

Every few months someone 'discovers' the Mars pack, and we go though the same discussion.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Being pessimistic rather than optimistic.  Thinking your drone will crash with or without a reserve chute. Haha

Anyway, you know, even with a parachute, the drone will fall slowly down, at the mercy of the wind, and drift into a tall unclimbable tree. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-7 21:53
Every few months someone 'discovers' the Mars pack, and we go though the same discussion.

Yes I get that, but there are a lot of folks joining the world of UAVs.  To many this is a trendy infatuation and others want to take up the hobby or even profession and it's all new to them.  In time, some of them will be experienced knowledgeable members of the forum and then they'll be saying the same thing.  The cycle of life, what is old is new again...
2017-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting product, although I do wonder how the props won't hit the ropes.
Unless they completely stop of course.
2017-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-7 23:47
Interesting product, although I do wonder how the props won't hit the ropes.
Unless they completely stop of course.

The answer is that the props won't stop unless the chute is under the direct control of the pilot. Even so, the pilot would have to see the aircraft is in trouble, shut down the motors, then fire the chute. Undser the pressure of the incident, that is not likely to happen.
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I can already hear the complaints:
"Yup, she dropped like a rock, just as the chute began to unfurl..."

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-8 16:21
I can already hear the complaints:
"Yup, she dropped like a rock, just as the chute began to unfurl..."

Nothing like watching a train wreck in the making...only in this case I choose to not let my engine get on that track
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-8 22:08
Nothing like watching a train wreck in the making...only in this case I choose to not let my engine get on that track

Yes, no!! Haha
Heck No!! Even... ;-)

Yes, I can crash great already, without that entanglement... Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 21:50
Anyway, you know, even with a parachute, the drone will fall slowly down, at the mercy of the wind, and drift into a tall unclimbable tree. ;-)

Judging by the posts on this forum it is far more likely to land in the pond or the sea than in a tree.

Of course the parachute wont help when it lands in water.  (Might make dredging easier?)

Watching the video, it still seems to have a hard landing except when they use 2 chutes, the combined price of which is more than the cost of repairing a P4 with new shell, landing gear and camera!  At the end they demonstrate 1 chute in use but he grabs it out of the air so that it doesn't get damaged!
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-8 23:59
Judging by the posts on this forum it is far more likely to land in the pond or the sea than in a tree.

Of course the parachute wont help when it lands in water.  (Might make dredging easier?)

You'd be surprised how many drones have had an abrupt end to a perfect flight, into a tall tree.

Water graves are mighty common as well. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-9
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 696788 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-7 12:01

DJI Firmware! Just a joke. though I am having trouble with my P4 and firmware issues
2017-9-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bonez Posted at 2017-9-9 03:09
DJI Firmware! Just a joke. though I am having trouble with my P4 and firmware issues

A safety parachute isn't going to fix any bad firmware. ;-)

You need to get to the root of your problem.

I can see a chute being useful, if for instance you had to perform an emergency CSC to save hurting someone. In that instance the parachute should be programmed to deploy.  

RedHotPoker
2017-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-8 16:16
The answer is that the props won't stop unless the chute is under the direct control of the pilot. Even so, the pilot would have to see the aircraft is in trouble, shut down the motors, then fire the chute. Undser the pressure of the incident, that is not likely to happen.

Yes, I'm definitely not sure about this working in real life.
2017-9-9
Use props
zilla
lvl.2

United States

Trees are drone magnets, in my experience.
2017-9-18
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 111818 ft

United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-7 12:11

I had a hawk following mine around the other day. really scared me.  
2017-9-27
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

There is a video floating around out there of two eagles attacking somebody's drone.  I didn't think it was true till I saw it myself.  Forget the parachute, order the anti-eagle defense kit to your drone.

2017-9-28
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-28 07:30
There is a video floating around out there of two eagles attacking somebody's drone.  I didn't think it was true till I saw it myself.  Forget the parachute, order the anti-eagle defense kit to your drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX3uOQiZs0A

Need to install a turret gun on the top...
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules