Darn CRACKS alright!
1461 17 2017-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sSunSetter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hi, Yeah my P3S is less than 2 months new. About 37 flights with few hours. Yes, I installed prop guards and loosened and tightened the 2 screws to attatch the guards. On the rear right I have a crack connecting to 3 screw eyelets below the motor. I wasn't offered the care plan. I searched it on the dji site but didn't see one for the P3S. I did purchase the insurance plan offered by Walmart at time of purchase. So I may be covered. But how discouraging. By the looks of it I should get my 60 day old drone back from repairs just in time for winter. And I was considering a Mavic Pro... What are the issues with that one too? I thought DJI was the best choice off drone offered. Are there batches of drones with bad plastic? Are they engineered to with stand the stress of recreational uses? Oh well, my season is over.

2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's a commonality amongst us Phantom pilots...

Not all of us, but many have written about this....

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Why isn't there a company selling "DJI Stress Crack" repair kits?  
I mean essentially, we're just talking about plastic that can be re-bonded or fixed with a laminated epoxy patch, right?  Where is the "FIrst Aid Kit" for our DJI Drones in the marketplace?
2017-9-7
Use props
sSunSetter
lvl.4
United States

Well There's a product called Hold On, plastic glue that seeps into cracks and seals. I don't want to drip down anything around the motor base. There's some that talk of placing a plate somewhere to fasten the screws too, but no description of where to see this product or procedure or what or where this fix happens.
2017-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Cracks can happen even with those plates below the motor mounts.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-7
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-7 12:24
Why isn't there a company selling "DJI Stress Crack" repair kits?  
I mean essentially, we're just talking about plastic that can be re-bonded or fixed with a laminated epoxy patch, right?  Where is the "FIrst Aid Kit" for our DJI Drones in the marketplace?

there are kits for the issue made of Aluminum and some made of plastic I bought the aluminum ones even though I have a 3D printer and the files for the plastic ones to print out. I had a crack between motor screws I repaired the crack with epoxy and installed the plates so far no new cracks and the old one hasn't opened back up Ill keep pulling them off and checking every month
https://www.amazon.com/Protectiv ... Kit+for+DJI+Phantom
2017-9-7
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Hard braking and fire walling the throttle will contribute to cracks. These motors have a lot of torque and the plastic isnt all that thick.
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for this, I would recommend you send the drone in for diagnosis and repair. Please refer to the link below to contact the Support and start a case. http://www.dji.com/support
2017-9-7
Use props
sSunSetter
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the link EpicDoom. I'm still under warranty, so I'm gonna send her back today.
2017-9-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I have read a lot about this problem...it seems to happen to all Phantoms
Does anyone know definitively, is this a design error or a plastics quality problem or both?  Knowing all of the various chemical compounds that make up plastics that are already out there such as the plastics on car bumpers that retain their form and self heal to a degree, why can't these drones have a plastic that can take the torque and stress without cracking?  Yes I know weight is a factor and aerodynamics is another, but I would think there are some compounds out there that can handle the flight environment of a UAV.  IMO I think they either got a bad batch (I kinda doubt it, considering how extensive the problem is) or they are using a substandard product that keeps costs down but don't hold up to the stress.
2017-9-8
Use props
sSunSetter
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for your comment Genghis. Does the motor arm crack issue come with the  P4? Does it come with the Mavic Pro, I wonder.
2017-9-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

sSunSetter Posted at 2017-9-8 10:36
Thanks for your comment Genghis. Does the motor arm crack issue come with the  P4? Does it come with the Mavic Pro, I wonder.

I have not seen any, myself, of the motor arm problem on P4s.  I have seen where they, P4s, have cracks near the air vents on the arms and on the struts.  IMO the motor arm problem is likely two fold, a design flaw and the plastic used.  Also, I think there is an issue with overtightening of the motor arm screws.  Those three factors together are likely the main reasons for cracks in that area.  Also, I think there is an issue with UV degradation of the plastics, we all know that over time the sun will damage plastics and I think that could be a factor for older drones too.
2017-9-8
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I believe the plastic manufacturer is to blame.  If they go off spec, or use a cheaper resin, the result will be a brittle effect when they are molded.  Also they combine "regrind" with virgin resin, which can also cause the same thing.  They probably mold thousands at one time.

2017-9-8
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

I agree with ALABAMA. Slightly bend a piece of vinyl and then heat it with a hair dryer. Virgin vinyl will return to it's
original shape while being heated.  Virgin vinyl will not crack unless you repeatedly flex it until the material starts to tear.  
2017-9-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Betamace Posted at 2017-9-8 14:36
I agree with ALABAMA. Slightly bend a piece of vinyl and then heat it with a hair dryer. Virgin vinyl will return to it's
original shape while being heated.  Virgin vinyl will not crack unless you repeatedly flex it until the material starts to tear.

Interesting tid bit to know...I was unaware of this characteristic.  
Well if it is bad plastic or substandard then I suppose DJI is not happy about it.  However, I don't see them issuing a recall, not that I expect they would.  They probably have taken the wait and see, and as a complaint comes in they make the repair or replacement.  Not cool either way...
2017-9-8
Use props
Freebird6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27129 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-8 15:48
Interesting tid bit to know...I was unaware of this characteristic.  
Well if it is bad plastic or substandard then I suppose DJI is not happy about it.  However, I don't see them issuing a recall, not that I expect they would.  They probably have taken the wait and see, and as a complaint comes in they make the repair or replacement.  Not cool either way...

I'm considering buying a Phantom 4 Pro. Has there been any design changes to the shells to eliminate the cracking issues. I know cracking seems to be a problem with all of the Phantom series, so you would think DJI would have come up with a solution that would prevent them. Has anyone tried coating the inside of the shell arms with some type of rubber coating. That would help to dampen out any vibration that maybe causing the stress cracks. If they made a small version of the Matrice 200 at a reasonable price I would be interested., but that probable is not going to happening.
2017-11-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Freebird6 Posted at 2017-11-12 21:24
I'm considering buying a Phantom 4 Pro. Has there been any design changes to the shells to eliminate the cracking issues. I know cracking seems to be a problem with all of the Phantom series, so you would think DJI would have come up with a solution that would prevent them. Has anyone tried coating the inside of the shell arms with some type of rubber coating. That would help to dampen out any vibration that maybe causing the stress cracks. If they made a small version of the Matrice 200 at a reasonable price I would be interested., but that probable is not going to happening.

I cannot be sure, but I do not recall hearing any issues with cracking in the P4 series.
2017-11-12
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Freebird6 Posted at 2017-11-12 21:24

So far I have not experienced cracks, however, I have read about others who have on the P4P
Yes, one would think that DJI would do something about this apparent systemic problem...
However, I don't think a rubber coating will help the problem.  The problem comes down to the elasticity of the plastic.  The more rigid and brittle the plastic the more susceptible to cracking it will be especially when placed under stress and or heat.
2017-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules