Why Dji Mavic Pro Platinum is more expensive than mavic pro
2743 18 2017-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MydroneReview
lvl.2

Morocco

Hi Everyone;
I know the Dji Mavic Pro Platinum had a better battery life and noise reduction than Mavic pro.
   But do you think the price is compatible with this simple add?!
    Please share your opinion with us.
Thank you;
2017-9-7
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yup. because you also get a new colour and a sticker that says platinum.

On the flip side... If you do a lot of slow motion vids/60fps/96fps, then the price diff is worth it as DJI has upgraded the camera hardware to fix the horrid pixel binning found in the Pro camera.
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The new Mavic Pro Platinum had optimized the ESC and propellers which allow the drone flight more time with a quieter noise. So accordingly, the price may be a little higher than Mavic Pro.
2017-9-7
Use props
SadMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91132 ft
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-9-7 20:04

Strange that DJI hasn't mentioned an upgraded camera?
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

The ESC in the Platinum is driving the motors using a sine wave instead of a square wave.
It is a little bit more expensive to produce a nice sine wave.

Scroll down to Current Wave Comparison:
http://www.dji.com/mavic-pro-platinum?from=v3_landing_page
2017-9-7
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

SadMavic Posted at 2017-9-7 23:06
Strange that DJI hasn't mentioned an upgraded camera?

Not strange at all. They tried to correct some defects on certain video modes by updating the software but the problem is hardware.
No wonder why they didn't tell they upgraded the camera
2017-9-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 23:20
The ESC in the Platinum is driving the motors using a sine wave instead of a square wave.
It is a little bit more expensive to produce a nice sine wave.

not more expensive to produce a sinewave LOL, sine waves are old school analog form been used to communicate and do things for years before digital circuits.. square waves have only been an intentional  thing only since the "digital age".. i say intentional, i mean that since you could have created square waves with relays and switches, and such back in the old school analog days too but not nearly that efficiently..

the real reason its more expensive is because of a few marketing factors..

1.  it is newer

2. it says "platinium"

3. includes the new props that are worth $20 to people with standard mavic looking to buy them
2017-9-8
Use props
SafariMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I thought drones are forbidden in Morocco? Just cancelled a trip there because of that :-) (sorry for the off topic post)
2017-9-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SafariMan Posted at 2017-9-8 00:14
I thought drones are forbidden in Morocco? Just cancelled a trip there because of that :-) (sorry for the off topic post)

only as forbidden to those who dont like a bit of adventure in their life.  which is why i dont let my GF fly that much, because between me and her, she is the likely one to buzz a police officer doing a traffic stop.  just as she is the one that would see a no fly zone for drones posted and use the location to launch from..
2017-9-8
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-8 00:08
not more expensive to produce a sinewave LOL, sine waves are old school analog form been used to communicate and do things for years before digital circuits.. square waves have only been an intentional  thing only since the "digital age".. i say intentional, i mean that since you could have created square waves with relays and switches, and such back in the old school analog days too but not nearly that efficiently..

the real reason its more expensive is because of a few marketing factors..

It is much cheaper and easier to produce a square wave.
To produce a nice and useful sine wave, extra electronic circuitry is required, which will more than likely have to be added to the original Mavic aircraft, and certainly if you want to convert a digital to an analog signal.
If that digital to analog circuitry were already present in the original Mavic, then why didn't they use it right from the beginning?
2017-9-8
Use props
fans7c6a5d83
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2409751 ft
Germany

Lt. Aussage der Damen und Herren von DJI auf der IFA in Berlin ist die Kamera identisch.
2017-9-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-8 01:32
It is much cheaper and easier to produce a square wave.
To produce a nice and useful sine wave, extra electronic circuitry is required, which will more than likely have to be added to the original Mavic aircraft, and certainly if you want to convert a digital to an analog signal.
If that digital to analog circuitry were already present in the original Mavic, then why didn't they use it right from the beginning?

well impossible to say how nice and clean that sine wave is...we need to see it on a scope first and torn down..  also cost is very small if done right shouldn't cost that much.  

plus on top of all of this, i am the one that originally mentioned on this forum the use of sine waves based on the diagram and the logic that would be the easiest, most reliable way and since i have a background in electronic design, the current method is unfiltered square wave. the only filter is the motors which are acting as a variable inductance and thus as a very crude amplified speaker (similar to inductor whine but on a varied and amplified scale)...  changing it to a sinewave means they can cancel out opposing noises on each side..  essentially running inverse 180 degree frequency of the opposing sides on the ESCs, not possible on unfiltered square wave.. but if dji is smart they only modify the current ESC, filtering it down and changing time division on input for each motor controlled....then just using fairly simple formula to cancel out the noise generated by each motor..
2017-9-8
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-8 12:22
well impossible to say how nice and clean that sine wave is...we need to see it on a scope first and torn down..  also cost is very small if done right shouldn't cost that much.  

plus on top of all of this, i am the one that originally mentioned on this forum the use of sine waves based on the diagram and the logic that would be the easiest, most reliable way and since i have a background in electronic design, the current method is unfiltered square wave. the only filter is the motors which are acting as a variable inductance and thus as a very crude amplified speaker (similar to inductor whine but on a varied and amplified scale)...  changing it to a sinewave means they can cancel out opposing noises on each side..  essentially running inverse 180 degree frequency of the opposing sides on the ESCs, not possible on unfiltered square wave.. but if dji is smart they only modify the current ESC, filtering it down and changing time division on input for each motor controlled....then just using fairly simple formula to cancel out the noise generated by each motor..

If the sine wave is not nice and clean, then it's still a square wave.
I would find it very odd that a manufacturer builds redundancy into its devices.
Therefore I can safely assume that the sine wave circuitry and the ESC in the Mavic Platinum are all new and the hike in price is justified.
2017-9-9
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

It's just marketing... why should you sell a "newer" model for the same amount of money? If they would sell it for the same price, wouldn't you feel FU**ED when you just have bought a MP?

Shortly after I bought my MP, price dropped... Do I feel I'm FU**ED? No... I'm very happy with my MP and love to fly it...
2017-9-9
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-9 00:30
If the sine wave is not nice and clean, then it's still a square wave.
I would find it very odd that a manufacturer builds redundancy into its devices.
Therefore I can safely assume that the sine wave circuitry and the ESC in the Mavic Platinum are all new and the hike in price is justified.

no, if its isnt a nice clean sine wave then thats exactly what it is.. a dirty sine wave..  it doesn't suddenly revert to being a square wave..  unless its truly horrifically bad and dirty, then it may become a sawtooth, but i doubt DJi would let it get that bad.  obvious that DJi would be coupling, filtering and clamping and smoothing...  just unknown how clean that will be...  

but yes you can definatly have extremely dirty sinewaves  with massive ripple..  cheap craptastic  LED home lighting (specially on 240V because further from nominal voltage) is notorious for causing insane ripple feedback into house wiring.. that ripple makes sinewave look horrible, yet because it is still a sine wave operating at 50hz/60hz it usually doesn't negatively impact other things on the same breaker/circuit. but  if you ever had a digital clock on a microwave or a stove or any appliance in kitchen fall behind a few minutes over time (can take weeks or months) even after you set it exactly, that is usually why.  they operate on measuring known frequency coming out of the wall to track time that is their reference.  a dirty ripple making sinewaves look horrible can over time slow or even speed up the clock..
2017-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-9-7 20:04

Where did you find this camera upgrade?
2017-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans7c6a5d83 Posted at 2017-9-8 05:52
Lt. Aussage der Damen und Herren von DJI auf der IFA in Berlin ist die Kamera identisch.

I thought so also.
2017-9-9
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

They didn't change anything on the camera... so for $100 more you get new ESC, new props, 3 minutes extra flying time and less noise...
2017-9-9
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Added extra goodies means added costs. You get what you paid for. Still love my ancient MP.
2017-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules