Flying (low) over water
2604 23 2017-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SG70
lvl.2
France

Hi all,
Hope this hasen't been asked before (I seem to get nothing from the search function in the forum) but are there any known issues flying over water with a Mavic ?

From what I understand above a certain height (10m ?) the Mavic uses the barometric sensor to maintain altitude, bellow that it uses the ultrasonic sensors, so are there any known issues flying over water at a height where the ultrasonic sensors are resonsible for maintaining height (ie skiming over the river ) ?

2017-9-8
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

From what I've read in the forums, you want to turn of the downward facing sensors. for some reason, the AC gets kind of "confused" over water.
The sensors have trouble with that type of surface.
2017-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Skimming over water, dangerous pursuit advice be careful, you will need to turn off VPS or you will find your Mavic jumping up and down.
Enjoy.
2017-9-8
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown over water between 60-90 feet with no issues but anything less or course you're taking a higher risk. Saw a video of someone going at low as 16 ft but again, your really gambling. I fly often in (S) Sports mode so that also turns off the vision systems when I fly over water.

Per MP manual:

"Operate the aircraft with great caution when flying over water or transparent surfaces"
2017-9-8
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-8 06:31
I've flown over water between 60-90 feet with no issues but anything less or course you're taking a higher risk. Saw a video of someone going at low as 16 ft but again, your really gambling. I fly often in (S) Sports mode so that also turns off the vision systems when I fly over water.

Per MP manual:

Yeah I think I'll wait until I have WAY more flying experience before playing with that... I asked because I live in an old water mill so I'm basicaly surounded by water
2017-9-8
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-8 07:15
Yeah I think I'll wait until I have WAY more flying experience before playing with that... I asked because I live in an old water mill so I'm basicaly surounded by water

This may interest you:

2017-9-8
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

I have heard that also but never turned the sensors of. Don't know if Its good or bad?
So far no issues.

This is how low i have gotten

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D384%26typeid%3D384

Im not sure about turn them of or not,  

Happy flying
2017-9-8
Use props
fans130f1a20
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1123048 ft
Croatia

I can only offer you personal experience; flown over sea for 1,8 km (and back) but altitude was always 20+ meters, no issues. Didn't have courage to go lower because I've also heard about possible issues if flying low over water surface. Would also like to know more from someone braver than me :-/
2017-9-8
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I got a little too comfortable flying low over water and on the last day of summer, I sank it into the long island sound. It can be done for sure but be careful flying low. I'd stay 30 feet above the the water. Which hard to tell because the altitude number aren't ever correct
2017-9-8
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

If you flying less than than about 30 feet over water , turn VPS off, especially if  water surface is not perfectly smooth.  That advice also applies to following uneven terrains. Recommendation:  At lower altitudes over relatively flat water, set your direction and  altitude (something safe) and fly straight.  Get some experience over dry land first.
2017-9-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have had no issues flying over water with or without landing protection enabled..   however i strongly suggest everyone learns how their mavic will react to whatever situation they put it in.. maybe my mavic has no issues flying over water by a couple feet but yours may struggle and you may need to tinker with settings, enabling or disabling protection..or something also its good to learn how to recover the drone from bad situations like if iis trying to land having that muscle memory to not panic and be able to push the correct  stick up to raise her..  practice this in a field or something..  the ground is the ocean of no recovery..  learn to fly too close and recover it without letting auto landing screw you up..keep doing it and pulling yourself further away to the point only feedback you have is the RC and the app.. it's more forgiving if you do land in field but it teaches you muscle memory and how to not panic when an event gets triggered..like auto landing or critical battery.. or or something learn to recover it and reel it back in..

i saved my mavic and my 2nd spark and my mavic multiple times from situations anyone wasnt ready for it would have failed..  like critical battery level 1/2 mile out... thats stressful over a park.. but specially stressful over open water and i been in that situation.  thats nerve wrecking..  i learned to before my battery is too low to shoot my drone way way up last 1-2 % before critical battery if im far away like half mile...  but thats from my practicing over fields at my farm.. learning how my drone acts, i know if im half mile out and i see im at 12% battery im going to ramp my drone up as high as she will go until im at critical.. then fly her back on that slow approach and decent..

moral of my story: practice over safe surfaces and places and learn how your drone specifically acts and how to counter it...  just because some people have no issues over water, doesnt mean you wont encounter issues..
2017-9-8
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

" I sank it into the long island sound. It can be done for sure but be careful flying low. I'd stay 30 feet above the water. "

Well this is something that can happen and worth not ever forgetting.
2017-9-8
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

"having that muscle memory to not panic and be able to push the correct  "

Super sound advice.

I used this when I'm on the track or street riding my bike. Cardinal rule is what you'd mention DO NOT PANIC ! that's where folks get into big trouble when they hit the panic button.

I tend to use my anxiety to make sure I stay very alert and recover is need be.  
2017-9-8
Use props
pixelperspective
Second Officer
Flight distance : 417844 ft
Philippines

https://youtu.be/BiyY9QF3XtM

0:38

I was about less than 10 inches over water. I just turned landing protection off to get that low.
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We don't suggest flying the drone over a low water level, that would be dangerous. Thanks for your kind understanding.
2017-9-9
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-9 00:43
We don't suggest flying the drone over a low water level, that would be dangerous. Thanks for your kind understanding.

Ok, I 'll stay above 10m when above water, thanks !
2017-9-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-9 01:27
Ok, I 'll stay above 10m when above water, thanks !

Thanks, and hope you have a nice time with the drone.
2017-9-11
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Griffith Posted at 2017-9-8 12:13
If you flying less than than about 30 feet over water , turn VPS off, especially if  water surface is not perfectly smooth.  That advice also applies to following uneven terrains. Recommendation:  At lower altitudes over relatively flat water, set your direction and  altitude (something safe) and fly straight.  Get some experience over dry land first.

That is my suggestion to you, too!
2017-9-11
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yesterday flew over open water at 16 feet (which is by far the lowest for me over water) and it went well. BUT again, I was flying in SPORT mode. For me I wouldn't take a chance in (P) mode due to sensors unless you turn off.
2017-9-11
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

However, I tested near a beach area in case anything would've happened, I was there to quickly act.
2017-9-11
Use props
fansb8b222f3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74213 ft
Sweden

So + 10meters should be safe ?
2017-9-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansb8b222f3 Posted at 2017-9-11 07:06
So + 10meters should be safe ?

Yes that would be safe, also no obstacles when flying over water so it pretty safe.
2017-9-11
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sure is....that's enough height.
2017-9-11
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Admittedly once but ive had the drone go into landing mode over the ocean at roughly 320ft.  The VPS briefly went to 2ft and it went into landing which i had to override.  Sensors were all on.

Generally over water you want downward sensors off for 2 reasons - the VPS getting confused so it "bouncing" in altitude or going into landing mode and the vision sensors off as it wont stay in one position in a hover as moving surfaces confuses them.  The latter is only an issue below about 30ft or so.
2017-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules