Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
BRAKING NOW!
6657 17 2017-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavicMatt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68330 ft
United States

Quick Question for you all...

I was flying my DJI Mavic Pro last night... and out of no where I got this "BRAKING NOW! RETURN STICKS TO MIDPOINTS FIRST" Message... But no idea what caused it. As I continued to try to bring the drone back every about 10 seconds I kept getting the same message... over and over and over and OVER...

No idea what caused this... But any help is greatly appreicated. Thanks all.
2017-9-8
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Hey at least it didn't say "BREAKING NOW."

But yea, the obstacle avoidance will do that when there are huge differences in contrast (or what it thinks is) at night. For an instant fix, flip the switch into sport mode and be mindful of that mode. Then you can just flip it back down to normal gps mode whenever.
2017-9-8
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Your MP probably thought to see something with the sensors... what would you like better? Your MP stopping mid-air thinking there is something blocking its path or flying into something and breaking your MP?

If you're absolutely sure there is nothing to fly into... switch off sensors (I wouldn't do it)...
2017-9-8
Use props
MavicMatt
lvl.1
United States

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it's not anything major!
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

May I know where did you get the message? I suggest calibrating the RC, see if the message disappears.
2017-9-9
Use props
Locoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

were you flying towards the setting sun.
2017-9-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this happen, it turned out to be  a cloaked flying saucer...
2017-9-9
Use props
MavicMatt
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-9 00:27
May I know where did you get the message? I suggest calibrating the RC, see if the message disappears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFeOF1lBsI&t=1s&index=11&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX

The messaged showed up in a yellow pop up box in the upper left hand corner of my phone screen. I will try calibrating the RC to see if that helps! Thanks.
2017-9-9
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Thor i dont think its the rc my mavic will do this in the evening hours if flying towards sun. Or contrast in light is significant
2017-9-9
Use props
MavicMatt
lvl.1
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-9-9 01:52
were you flying towards the setting sun.

I wasn't flying towards the setting sun. The sun had already sat. But I was flying it when it was dark. Not sure if that would have any affect.
2017-9-9
Use props
fans130f1a20
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1123048 ft
Croatia

Flying into the sun (during sunset), high contrasts on scenery and flying on low light conditions will confuse Obstacle Avoidance Sensors (OAS); OAS is nothing more than cameras, needing light and good light conditions in order to function.

When such light conditions occur - safety mechanism will stop the Mavic, and require you to perform "hands-off-sticks" in order to resume flight. No need to recalibrate anything - it may me annoying but it works as intended.

However; important notice;  
This behaviour has other implications. If you use Return To Home (RTH) during low light, sunset and bad conditions - and your OAS sensors get confused - Mavic will climb up in order to avoid invisible obstacle. It may climb for ever as there is no obstacle to avoid. In panic, you may lose Mavic if you are low on battery ...

It's suggested by other Mavic pilots to disable OAS when flying into the sun (during sunset), high contrasts on scenery and flying on low light conditions and just use your own uber-micro skills while flying around stuff. I follow this advice and would like to use this opportunity to those before me for figuring this out!
2017-9-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-9 10:35
Thor i dont think its the rc my mavic will do this in the evening hours if flying towards sun. Or contrast in light is significant

Yes, thanks for the kindly prompt, the braking might appear when the drone facing directly to a strong light. But the OP mentioned that he was flying at night, so I assume that there is no sun or strong light except other especially condition. Will do my best to help.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

MavicMatt Posted at 2017-9-9 09:54
The messaged showed up in a yellow pop up box in the upper left hand corner of my phone screen. I will try calibrating the RC to see if that helps! Thanks.

Looking forward to your feedback, if the case persists, I suggest reporting this case to our support team to start a further analysis. Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support. Thank you.
2017-9-11
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Happened to me lastnight right as the sunset... The "fix" disabled OA for the rest of the flight problem solved!
2017-9-11
Use props
DocAraxá
First Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I really do not feel safe to fly without clear sun.
It is just something I avoid to do.
But it is only for me: my opinion.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-11 01:55
Happened to me lastnight right as the sunset... The "fix" disabled OA for the rest of the flight problem solved!

That helps. And if the message also shows up when not facing the strong light, then you can also try to calibrate the Vision Positioning System.
2017-9-11
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

Could have been a street lamp "flare".......
2017-9-11
Use props
fans130f1a20
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1123048 ft
Croatia

It should be added in the Mavic manual; avoid flying close to the sun...

2017-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules