Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
External Monitor during flight? Ever use one?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I want to go out with some friends... I will have a table and access to power.  Is there anyway to hook my controller up to a monitor so a larger group can see what's going on?

Thanks
2017-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, but you need to have an HDMI out, or buy the DJI HDMI add on...
https://m.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hdmi-output-module

RedHotPoker
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

May I know which drone do you refer?
2017-9-8
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-8 18:31
May I know which drone do you refer?

Sorry.   P4pro....
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Is it the one without built-in screen? If yes, a HDMI output is required to install just as 2# mentioned.
2017-9-10
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-10 22:19
Is it the one without built-in screen? If yes, a HDMI output is required to install just as 2# mentioned.

Let me try again... Phantom 4 Pro.... I provide my own screen.... So, how can I show to an external monitor (not my iPad or iPhone) what's going on real time?  
2017-9-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-11 05:03
Let me try again... Phantom 4 Pro.... I provide my own screen.... So, how can I show to an external monitor (not my iPad or iPhone) what's going on real time?

You need the HDMI module added to your RC...

Then you can plug and play an external monitor.

I provided the link above, to the DJI  store.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-11 05:03

Well noted, thank you! Please refer this video to learn how to install the HDMI.

2017-9-12
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-12 01:16
Well noted, thank you! Please refer this video to learn how to install the HDMI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBt7FiH0mII&feature=youtu.be

Great vid... thanks for showing it to me.  Now I have to order me the HDMI hardware.... thanks!
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-12 05:17
Great vid... thanks for showing it to me.  Now I have to order me the HDMI hardware.... thanks!

My pleasure. Hope you have a great time!
2017-9-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha MrRobert,

When the nVidia Shield K1 was being manufactured, you could buy one for $200 and it had a HDMI out.  That HDMI out could put out 1080p but the remote controller had to be 1080p capable.  A little different type of output but it is real nice.

In the future, there will be many more options.  The HDMI module yo will get from DJI is 720p.  It also works well with various goggles.  The USB-C variant is designed to compete with HDMI, so keep an eye out for that.  Some of the DJI products have that port already.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-13 00:53
Aloha MrRobert,

When the nVidia Shield K1 was being manufactured, you could buy one for $200 and it had a HDMI out.  That HDMI out could put out 1080p but the remote controller had to be 1080p capable.  A little different type of output but it is real nice.

Yeah... I saw that it was 720.... (sigh....).   There is also a port that they clearly indicated that it isn't functional at this time.... I didn't recognize the symbol on the port so I can't tell what it was.  
2017-9-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-13 06:08
Yeah... I saw that it was 720.... (sigh....).   There is also a port that they clearly indicated that it isn't functional at this time.... I didn't recognize the symbol on the port so I can't tell what it was.

Aloha MrRobert,

Somehow, I have the impression that you have an iOS device.  There are iOS devices with a HDMI output for video.  The Android nVidia Shield K1 is known for its HDMI port.  The P4 Pro system is known for its 1080p output from the remote controller, but there is some debate as to whether it is only on the P4 Pro+ (plus).  My HDMI output indicates a 1080p resolution when I use my 15.6 inch external screen with my P4 Pro and it looks much better than the external monitor output from my P4 which is 720p from the remote controller.  But none of this is DJI sanctioned.  It is just the kind of work-around some of us on the Forum do.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Once you have installed it, please write back with your results and thoughts.

I would like to learn of your positive experience, and pleasant findings. Hope your friends Enjoy it. ;-)

The other way, would be to stream your flight video live to your YouTube or Facebook account.
Then they can watch your flights from their easy chair at home. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-13 11:53
Once you have installed it, please write back with your results and thoughts.

I would like to learn of your positive experience, and pleasant findings. Hope your friends Enjoy it. ;-)

I said I need to... not that it will be soon.  (sigh.....)
2017-9-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-13 12:28
I said I need to... not that it will be soon.  (sigh.....)

When you said, "Now I have to order me the HDMI hardware...." I thought it was a done deal.

I know this feeling... Been there, done that. ;-$

RedHotPoker
2017-9-13
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-13 13:26
When you said, "Now I have to order me the HDMI hardware...." I thought it was a done deal.

RHP
I have this exact setup, P4P with HDMI module.  BTW the module was a PITA to put in, fingers are just a bit to fat, not really they are a lot...and tweezers are a bit too rigid and those ribbon cables are very delicate.  Either way it's in and working, that's the main thing.  Thus far I've used it with my goggles (HDMI), mostly as a show and tell for others.  Since I'm still learning to fly this thing and not great yet, the goggles are a neat sideshow at the moment for me.  Anyway, I use the USB to feed my mobile device and it all works as advertised.  
I can't tell you what resolution I'm getting, I've assumed for now it's 720p for the goggles and I wouldn't have clue one on the tablet.  I do not intend to use with an external monitor, but I could if I wanted.  Somewhere here abouts in the forum there was a thread that covered using their TV as their main control device using the HDMI out, meaning they were flying the UAV from their living room while watching the big screen using the remote controller of course.
2017-9-13
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have an iOS device, you can get an Apple TV box and cast your iPad (or whatever) to Apple TV. That's what I do, have a 32" flat screen, run it and the Apple TV unit with a 110V inverter.Never done it myself, but I'm told you can do something similar with Chromecast and Android device.
2017-9-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-13 13:26

LOL... I just have to draw the line somewhere.....
2017-9-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-9-13 17:31
If you have an iOS device, you can get an Apple TV box and cast your iPad (or whatever) to Apple TV. That's what I do, have a 32" flat screen, run it and the Apple TV unit with a 110V inverter.Never done it myself, but I'm told you can do something similar with Chromecast and Android device.

No, I use an iPad.... I just need to try it.... It's not common for me to fly where there is a close power source.  But if I do, that's the way to go.
2017-9-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-14 04:32
LOL... I just have to draw the line somewhere.....

I know, many have limited extra income for expensive RC toys, never mind pricey drones that are camera platforms. The desirable extra additions to a persons flight kit, can become a burden.

But what a thrill, once you start flying and recording. Sharing the pics ~ video...

All in good time... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-13 17:00
RHP
I have this exact setup, P4P with HDMI module.  BTW the module was a PITA to put in, fingers are just a bit to fat, not really they are a lot...and tweezers are a bit too rigid and those ribbon cables are very delicate.  Either way it's in and working, that's the main thing.  Thus far I've used it with my goggles (HDMI), mostly as a show and tell for others.  Since I'm still learning to fly this thing and not great yet, the goggles are a neat sideshow at the moment for me.  Anyway, I use the USB to feed my mobile device and it all works as advertised.  
I can't tell you what resolution I'm getting, I've assumed for now it's 720p for the goggles and I wouldn't have clue one on the tablet.  I do not intend to use with an external monitor, but I could if I wanted.  Somewhere here abouts in the forum there was a thread that covered using their TV as their main control device using the HDMI out, meaning they were flying the UAV from their living room while watching the big screen using the remote controller of course.

Yes, sometimes our fingers do get in the way of our immediate goals. Ha
Like leaving your prints at the scene of the supposed crime. ;-)

You are certainly getting mostly, the full advantage from that flight kit of yours, which is awesome.

RedHotPoker

2017-9-14
Use props
djiuser_g4pj3fWOaFVQ
New

United States

if you have a roku tv or fire stick or apple tv you can screen cast airplay to them from your phone.  about a 1/2 second delay so no good for flying but for friends to view it would be just about real-time.  not sure about the 720 or 1080 but the picture looked clear enough for me.
2023-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules