MPG4 or MP4 do I need a Converter?
2940 27 2015-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

My camera is generating MPG4 files. I have seen in this forum people say MP4. Want to edit video and having issues. Do I need to convert the files? Any one know a good editor.
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

check this out....http://www.differencebetween.inf ... tween-mpeg4-and-mp4
Do a search on the forum for video editors, lots suggested!..personal preference and based on needs...GoPro studio is free!...Try it..if you like it, you don't have to buy it..
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

I have tried about 5 editing programs and none would open the file.
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-3 07:03
I have tried about 5 editing programs and none would open the file.

Are you on a Mac or PC?
Did you stop the recording before you powered off the Phantom, if not, you have a corrupted file...
MPEG is widely recognized by most of the even/if not all of the most basic editors.
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

I'm on windows, I did stop the recording before powering down. I have done editing on an Ipad successfully but can't get files to open off the camera on windows.
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Try, right click, "open in" ie movie maker or something, it has worked for me..
Maybe post a screen shot of the file as it looks, a picture is worth a thousand words....
***edit***do you have the SD in the computer or are you trying this via wireless from the Phantom Camera to your PC? If the latter, you can try forever and it will not see it and it will not work....
2015-4-2
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-3 07:12
I'm on windows, I did stop the recording before powering down. I have done editing on an Ipad succes ...

Download the video from the camera to your computer and try to open it.
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

I moved the file straight from the camera to the computer and open with, quicktime player is an option but windows movie maker is not. I just ttried to open in windows media player and will not open. .MP4 not recognized
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-3 07:38
I moved the file straight from the camera to the computer and open with, quicktime player is an opti ...

Per earlier thread!
Are you on a Mac or a PC?
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

I'm on windows
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Please see attached, i am on Windows as we speak...
File Types.PNG
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

you have an issue or a default set somewhere or something, i can open any of the photos or videos in any video or photo editing software i have,
if i want to open a photo in a specific photo program, i right click the photo, "open in" and select the program, same for the video,
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

That looks to be a newer version of windows media player, I wish Mine would open like that. LOL I am communicating here with an Ipad, I have the drone connected to the laptop.
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

checking settings at this point
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

that will not work!! The computer cannot download directly from the Phantom!!

Pull the SD card out of the Phantom, put it in the laptop or a mini SD card reader and plug that into your laptop as attached...

It works!!...Trust me!!
IMG_5771.JPG
IMG_5774.JPG
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

I think I tried that, but I will try it again
2015-4-2
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-3 08:16
I think I tried that, but I will try it again

What model Phantom do you have?
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

Phantom viision plus, v3
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-3 08:44
Phantom viision plus, v3

You have a computer boo boo or something,
take card out of Phantom Camera, insert into card reader or computer, open file...or you need a newer o/s (Operating System) on your PC....though doubt the latter is the issue.....

What o/s is on your computer
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

I found MP4 file extension with no assosiation. Thank you all for your help. Happy flying.
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-3 08:52
I found MP4 file extension with no assosiation. Thank you all for your help. Happy flying.

So, does that mean you got it fixed or no?
and thank you, always happy when flying....sometimes freakin in manual mode though...."don't do it"!
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

Yes I think I got it fixed, control panel, folder options, extensions tab, MP4 needs to be associated to a program.
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Thanks for letting us know,
Would still be nice to know what version of windows in case this question comes up again...it appears the issue or default was to do with "file association" though what version of windows?
2015-4-2
Use props
llfahrenkrog
lvl.1

United States

Sorry for the delayed response. I am running Windows XP Serice pack 3.
2015-4-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-9 11:00
Sorry for the delayed response. I am running Windows XP Serice pack 3.

Thanks for the update, glad you got it solved...
2015-4-8
Use props
Salmanmuir
New

India

The answer is absolutely not. Many of us thought that MP4 is the abbreviation of MPEG4 and they are the same media container which can store more kinds of video codec, audio codec, and subtitle.
2019-1-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

llfahrenkrog Posted at 2015-4-2 15:38
I moved the file straight from the camera to the computer and open with, quicktime player is an option but windows movie maker is not. I just ttried to open in windows media player and will not open. .MP4 not recognized

Windows Movie Maker - the time line / frame version does not open MP4 / MPEG4 files ... it uses WMV (windows movie files).

I suggest you download the Windows Live Movie Maker from Windows Essentials ... that opens MP4 / MPEG4 files.

Here's a link to a download site ...

https://filehippo.com/download_windows_live_movie_maker/

I use this and really don't need anything else.

Nigel
2019-1-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

If you want a converter for videos ... you can use VLC player - hidden in the menu !! or just download Freemake Video Converter - but make sure its an older version.

Freemake will convert just any video file .. strip the audio ... join them ... etc.

Nigel
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules