Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Plastic or Carbon
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dayviduk
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Carbon or Plastic Props

I see Carbon are just over twice the price of Plastic but sill not expensive .

I would have assumed Carbon would be the best material to use ,less flex /stronger ect, what are your thoughts.
2017-9-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Most prefer the DJI composite props over the carbon props for several reasons - better a prop to break than a motor or motor-mount to break is one, better a prop to break than a finger or facial bone to break is two - etc.  
2017-9-9
Use props
dayviduk
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Well that does make a lot of sense , didnt consider that aspect of it.
2017-9-9
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.4

United States

When it comes to replacement accessories, I generally stick with DJI products.  Keep in mind, if the props are oversized, they could create too much torque on the motors.  Wrong alignment and they could cause stress cracks.  Non-DJI products, if used and damage results, can violate warranty or DJI coverage.  Just something to think about.
2017-9-9
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Some say carbon fiber added more agility, while others say it added more noise, while others say they couldn't tell a difference.  I think they look cool but ive heard many say they didn't see a difference in flight
2017-9-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The best bet for the buck is buying two sets of composite fiber rotor blades.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-9 16:29
that settles it, my carbon blades are going straight in the bin
I will use the dji one's

They look nice if you want to keep them on the drone for display.  

But to fly with them, is a waste of money, in my opinion.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-9
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i think carbon fiber props vibrate more.
2017-9-10
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

repairman Posted at 2017-9-10 01:15

That would depend on how well balanced they are, not on what they are made of.

Most of the carbon ones seem to be an identical shape to the standard ones so presumably they are just carbon-nylon composite instead of glass-nylon composite. They will be almost the same weight, almost the same balance, same aerodynamics, only difference is in the stiffness, flexibility isn't obviously a disadvantage for a photography drone, especially when they hit something!  
2017-9-10
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
United States

i know for a fact not speculation that carbon fiber props on rc planes have more vibration.even when balanced with chadwich balance gear. wood props are the smoothest.the chadwic gear does dynamic balance,that is the best way to get the best balance possible.was a few years ago i tried this electronic balance.dont have access to balance gear now.i dont use carbon fiber props for safety reasons they tear up a lot before breaking.i like the dji originals props good luck.
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

repairman Posted at 2017-9-10 01:15

Even though they are stiffer in construction? I would never have thought that possible.

I am not an aficionado with carbon fiber...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i say stick to DJi products until something real comes out..  too many 3rd party prop makers fall short of claims.  i wsh DJI would work with some company to produce carbon fiber props, properly made CF props have alot of advantages.. being less flexible means in same RPM range its pushing a lot more air down.. being one of the biggest differences..   othet thigns like it being harder then plastic means less likely to get damage from leaves and twigs...  downside of CF is if they slam hard into a solid surface, bye bye props...
2017-9-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

No relative experience, but it seems to me intuitively - rigid carbon props would cause the AC to vibrate more than the flexible composite.  
2017-9-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-10 10:43
...  downside of CF is if they slam hard into a solid surface, bye bye props...

I don't understand this sentence.
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-10 11:08
I don't understand this sentence.

carbon fiber is very fragile..  they it can hold up to decent amount of abuse but slamming them into anything harder than it or something stops it completely and suddenly with all of its mass will damage the carbon fiber..    this could be you fly into a tree branch or hit a car or building or falls on street, the props can shatter in worst of cases or stress fracture..stress fractures can be more dangerious because they can be hidden and you may not see them and fail suddenly on next flight out without much reason it seems like.
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-10 10:43
i say stick to DJi products until something real comes out..  too many 3rd party prop makers fall short of claims.  i wsh DJI would work with some company to produce carbon fiber props, properly made CF props have alot of advantages.. being less flexible means in same RPM range its pushing a lot more air down.. being one of the biggest differences..   othet thigns like it being harder then plastic means less likely to get damage from leaves and twigs...  downside of CF is if they slam hard into a solid surface, bye bye props...

DJI makes the carbon fiber reinforced props... ;-)
https://m.dji.com/product/9450-c ... htening-rotor-black
Go buy you some. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-10 11:09
carbon fiber is very fragile..  they it can hold up to decent amount of abuse but slamming them into anything harder than it or something stops it completely and suddenly with all of its mass will damage the carbon fiber..    this could be you fly into a tree branch or hit a car or building or falls on street, the props can shatter in worst of cases or stress fracture..stress fractures can be more dangerious because they can be hidden and you may not see them and fail suddenly on next flight out without much reason it seems like.

Yeah but you seem to be implying that a composite prop would survive.  Isn't it "bye bye props" regardless of what it's made of?  
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-10 12:08
Yeah but you seem to be implying that a composite prop would survive.  Isn't it "bye bye props" regardless of what it's made of?

Or a burnt out motor, when the prop gets caught in something, but stays true...

They may shatter, or dig in and let the motor smoke to death...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-10 12:08

no,  i have flown with cracked and chipped plastic props on my mavic pro, i would never do that with cracked or chipped carbon fiber props because that can suddenly let go once in the air.  the plastic is more forgiving.
2017-9-10
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

I prefer the stick props.  They work great & cause less harm if they meet up with flesh.
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-9-10 15:58
I prefer the stick props.  They work great & cause less harm if they meet up with flesh.

I didn't know there were wooden blades for our drones... ;-)

Yes, I know you meant stock. Was Just kidding. Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-9-10
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

CF props do NOT vobrate more ... in fact once balanced and of good reputable brand - should be smoother in use.

BUT they are wasted on the P3 and such models as they only transfer Flight Controllers requirements to maintain flight. They are not called on to work like a 3D machine where extreme maneuvers are called for and CF props mainly developed for.

DJI composite props as stock are ideally suited and designed for the job.

As to which causes more damage ? Who cares when any prop of this size can sever fingers, carve large lumps out of any flesh that meets it ... kill / maim / injure ...

Nigel
2017-9-11
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
United States

nigel i,ll have to agree to disagre.have you ever used any electronic dynamic balance equipment for any research to say that carbon fiber props are smoother?
2017-9-11
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

No need ..... if you take any of todays modern 3D machines and stick a 'rough' prop on - you would very soon find out !! All props need to be balanced ... CF are no exception. Trouble is the ways to balance are many and some ways are not suited to some forms. If I observed a 'vibrating' CF prop - I would inspect it seriously for possible user error.

Vibration can be from many factors ... incorrect centering on shaft, unbalanced blades, bad balancing technique, bent shaft, worn motor bearings, loose motor mount or cracks ... the list goes on.

Seriously - CF props are primarily for use where high precision blade and stiffness called for - such as in large 3D model flying. When you punch out a 120cc gasoline SBach or Extra from a 3D move - you soon find out why CF props are used.
Why do you think Competition flyers of fixed wing and Helicopters use CF props / rotors ?

Any slight inbalance or 'roughness' as you imply - would soon be evident as vibration and eventual failure of the models structure. You only have to 'clip' a prop and literally have no visible damage - but next flight ... there it is.

The stock DJI props are basically GFN ... that's a composite of glass and nylon giving it stiffness and form .... commonly called Composite Props ... same as APC etc. Its a tough and durable format that satisfies most uses.

I really love the replies : any test data / research to support !! Love it !!

Go out on a flight line and 'listen' / 'feel' a model .... you soon tell who takes care with props and who doesn't !!

Example of my own model flown yesterday :

WOT4 aerobatics machine. 4250 650kv with 5S and 13x8E Composite prop.

Previously she was quite noisy when flown ...

But day before yesterday - I decided to check out and remedy if possible ... I cleaned and lubricated the bearings and swapped out to a new shaft. Checked prop balance - spot on ...

Flew her last night and the difference was remarkable ... you can hear for yourself ....

Near silent run ...

No need for " electronic dynamic balance equipment" to sort that one !! ....

Nigel
2017-9-12
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-10 11:55
DJI makes the carbon fiber reinforced props... ;-)
https://m.dji.com/product/9450-carbon-fiber-self-tightening-rotor-black
Go buy you some. Haha

That's what I thought. DJI makes them. I be confused!

Barney
2017-9-12
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

I don't fly the WOT4 Foamie ..... this is the third traditional wood WOT4 for me ... I had two back in the 1980's when they first appeared. I used to fly gliders and often was at same meetings as Chris Foss. I also flew power and is where I became friends with Phil Ramsay who kitted some absolute classic UK stuff ... such as My Skyleader Skymaster. I knew Kenny Binks as well .....

WOT4 with tuned pipe on an ST60 was my fun display machine !!

Nigel
2017-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules