Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Where do you get your music from?
12Next >
9365 49 2015-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

I read recently a post where someone's video was rejected by youtube for copyright violations for the music or something like that.  I just experienced the same thing with a piece of music I got from a site that I thought was all free to use.  So my question is, from where do you get the music you add to your videos? And how do you know it is okay to use?

2015-4-2
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

I get my music from you tube videos.  Since it is already there, it's not any infringement.
2015-4-2
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Yeah, I got busted too. I searched all over the place and all I can find without having to sign up is stuff nobody wants to hear. Watching some of these new videos from some of you guys is sure letting me know that I've got a lot of work to do on my filming skills too!

Jerry
2015-4-2
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-3 10:11
Yeah, I got busted too. I searched all over the place and all I can find without having to sign up i ...

I'll take the video and convert it to save the music. Youtube will remove videos that have a copyright on it so any video that is there is free of a copyright and I just convert and save to my own music file.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
2015-4-2
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

I just found The Free Music Archive within which most of the music is free to use under CC licenses as long as credit is given (they specifically say "in the description of your youtube video you credit the artist")

Lots and lots of music there in all genres.
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-3 20:18
I just found The Free Music Archive within which most of the music is free to use under CC licenses  ...

Thanks Nrg! Doesn't look like anyone but Gerry wants to share. Thank you too, Gerry.

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

Soundcloud has stuff as well.
2015-4-3
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-3 20:33
Thanks Nrg! Doesn't look like anyone but Gerry wants to share. Thank you too, Gerry.

Jerry

No problem - I find, I share.  I just spent about an hour on the FMA site, downloaded a few things (did not have to register or anything) and I think I can build quite a nice library of music for videos from there.

Will check out Soundcloud, just like the FMA I have never heard of that either.  Thx!
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

Soundcloud does require you to sign up. I know about it since it is where my brother posts his work.
2015-4-3
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-3 20:43
Soundcloud does require you to sign up. I know about it since it is where my brother posts his work.

I just checked out Soundcloud briefly - lots of stuff there too.  I did not have to sign up, I just hit the download link under a song and it downloaded.  Thanks for the find - between the two sites I am set now I think.

Hope others can find stuff at these sites.  Both seem to have something of all kinds/types/genres.
2015-4-3
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-3 20:33

Jerry

There are more of us here that will gladly share and give to help others, then there are some that only take and give nothing or share anything and help no one.  Most give and take.  That's how we learn.
2015-4-3
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

This is a great question as I've kinda come full circle with music beds for my videos.

When I don't have the time or budget to compose my own tracks I've used audioblocks.com and premiumbeats.com

There's lots of stuff out there but a word of caution from one in particular....
After a bit of research I signed up to audioblocks.com for quick turnaround stuff. It was a special for only $50 a year for unlimited royalty free downloads! audioblocks.com is good...but after about an hour of searching I found myself listening to the same tracks no matter what genre I searched. So it's limited as far as the total number of track to choose from. Then I started to get violation notices form music I used from auidoblocks.com!? Apparently the composers, that let audioblocks.com "use" their compositions, monitor the YouTubes of the world. Without investigation or inquiry to audioblocks.com they immediately just flag the vid and YouTube sends you wrist slap notice.  Soooo.... for every notice I've had to send YouTube a response, then send one to audioblocks.com with the track name and the YouTube video link..... and they contact YouTube. It was the only 3 times I used audioblocks on published videos so 3 out of 3 got flagged.  YouTube did remove the violation notices...but what a pain.

premiumbeats.com is incredible on many levels. But you are talking about $39 to $69-ish per track. Wish I had a better and cheaper royalty free solution but the old saying rings true I guess... You get what you pay for.

It goes without saying but now more than ever be careful wherever you get your royalty free stuff. I have a friend who used a piece of "royalty free" music and the long and short of it after further investigation of the fine print about royalty free usage... he was fined for a copywrite violation to the tune $8000.
As with the auidioblocks.com story above folks ain't messing around anymore.
2015-4-3
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-4-3 23:13
This is a great question as I've kinda come full circle with music beds for my videos.

When I don't ...

Well you should check the Free Music Archive linked above.  All music is free and as long as you credit the artist no problems.  I have spent a lot of money on this hobby so far, I just don't see me paying for the music too if I can get it free.

I will check out the links though, thanks for providing them.  Never heard of either of those sites either.
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

triplescoop is another option
2015-4-3
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-3 23:25
Well you should check the Free Music Archive linked above.  All music is free and as long as you c ...

Great. Never heard of them so I'll definitely give them a listen.

Yeah premiumbeats.com is also incredible because when you purchase a track you can also download the "stems" of each track. Meaning you can download the actual separate instruments, vocals and sound FX tracks of the music in 4 bar looping sections. So I can recompose using the stems as loops and create a track that is say 4:30 with a true beginning and ending. Beats the heck out of using the same 1:00 track and fading it in and out 5 times for a longer video.
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-3 22:41
There are more of us here that will gladly share and give to help others, then there are some that ...

Gerry,

I too, believe in sharing. Had it not been for the sharing you guys have done with me I don't know that I'd have gotten off the ground. I'm trying to share as well but because of my limited experience with this stuff I don't have a great deal of value to offer at this point. Now, you wanna know something about an American V-Twin Motorcycle, you'll probably wish you had never asked!

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-3 22:41
There are more of us here that will gladly share and give to help others, then there are some that ...

Hey Gerry, Mr. helpful, go over and help Andy out with his drifting issue, would you please? If I keep trying to help him, he'll be pulling his hair out in 3 hours!

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-3 23:34
Gerry,

I too, believe in sharing. Had it not been for the sharing you guys have done with me I do ...

I had a 75 Honda 750 that I put up against the side of a car that pulled out in front of me in 78.  Ended up with 4 fractures in my back and neck.  That ended my riding days.  Now I stick to a cage.

You share more than you realize.
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-3 23:40
I had a 75 Honda 750 that I put up against the side of a car that pulled out in front of me in 78. ...

Gerry,

That'll do it. I've had my share of close calls and some minor mishaps over my 30+ years of riding. Like anything else, when it's your turn, well...It's just your turn. At least that's the way I look at it.

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

What about if you use music from CDs you already have that you payed for? Does youtube flag you for that also?
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-4 00:27
What about if you use music from CDs you already have that you payed for? Does youtube flag you for  ...

You aren't licensed to use the music
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4_HYj53tuNS9F_G-pZX5Q
2015-4-3
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-4 00:27
What about if you use music from CDs you already have that you payed for? Does youtube flag you for  ...

Ummm...  I think there are really only 4 kinds of music.  Music you've created, music that was given to you by its creator, music you've paid for, or music that you've stolen.  So I'm assuming you're talking about music an artist has given you?  Why would they flag your videos?
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Jliddil, very helpful!

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vimeo has both free and paid music which it will allow you to place onto your vid.....

I've also used audio that my old jam band played.......since no one wants to listen to us I figured I would force them.....

Example of an old band track (although I suppose I may owe something to John Hiatt who wrote the song?).

Example of vimeo stock music (free)

Youtube once flagged a video of me on the sailboat with Rod Stewart playing in the background on my boat speaker!
2015-4-3
Use props
kss113
lvl.2
United States

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

2015-4-3
Use props
wavis184
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1810735 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I get some time I'll post some back ground music that I make on my Mac with Garage Band if you like them feel free to use tham.
2015-4-3
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

I had no idea youtube had music you could use.  I just created the channel, never really looked at the dashboard - my software uploads my videos automatically and initiates my browser when it is done and takes me right to the video page.  I will have to investigate that as well.  Thanks for those links JL.
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-4 01:50
I had no idea youtube had music you could use.  I just created the channel, never really looked at t ...

Same here. I actually feel a little stupid right now.

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-4 02:24
Same here. I actually feel a little stupid right now.

Jerry

Another acronym RTFM?
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-4 02:31
Another acronym RTFM?

Jliddil,

Well I guess I'm even stupider than I thought, I got no idea on the "RTFM" reference. And I'll just stay stupider 'cause I ain't looking it up!

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-4 02:36
Jliddil,

Well I guess I'm even stupider than I thought, I got no idea on the "RTFM" reference. An ...

Read the F'ing Manual.  
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-4 02:46
Read the F'ing Manual.

Now, I gotta read the youtube manual too! All the f'ing reading, when do you get to fly the daing thing???

:@

(never used one of those, thought I'd better see how it works. Hope it doesn't look like that when I hit the post button or I'm never using it again.)

Jerry
2015-4-3
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Well, I'll be damned, it worked! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.{:3_48:}
2015-4-3
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-4-4 00:34
Ummm...  I think there are really only 4 kinds of music.  Music you've created, music that was giv ...

Dunno.. I havent posted videos on youtube with music added yet. Im just saying. I have a bunch of different CDs Ive bought over the yrs from Columbia House music club. So I didnt download it illegal from the internet. Its no different then me playing them on my stereo at work where others can hear,  then it is posting them on a video on Youtube. Im not doing it as a profit only for enjoyment. I  have posted on Facebook. They havent sayed anything to me yet about it.
2015-4-4
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-4 20:07
Dunno.. I havent posted videos on youtube with music added yet. Im just saying. I have a bunch of  ...

David,

I don't know a out Facebook but YouTube will probably catch up with you if you post there. That's how I did my first few vids, pulled the music from CD's. It took them a week or so before I got the notice.

Jerry
2015-4-4
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

Other sources
Istockphoto
http://incompetech.com/ : Royalty free
2015-4-4
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Jliddil,

Welp, you might not say a lot but you sure do provide some useful info!

Thanks again,

Jerry
2015-4-4
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-5 03:45
Other sources
Istockphoto
http://incompetech.com/ : Royalty free

Thanks for the link!  I like this one.