Flying Dpark with Controller only
16612 18 2017-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ReedB51
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233205 ft
United States

I bought a spark for my dad last week and we can't seem to get it to take off, btw I'm tech support from 400 miles away. I'm thinking one of the problems is that he's not using a phone or tablet nor does he have one that will work.   He flew my Mavic and only looked at the drone so I didn't think it would be a problem getting him a spark and him just using the controller.  :/

Does anybody know if this is going to be a problem?
2017-9-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Definitely! Without a mobile device nothing will work properly and no warnings can be displayed. Keep it grounded until a mobile device is connected would be my strong advice.
2017-9-9
Use props
SeanGillian
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-9 12:34
Definitely! Without a mobile device nothing will work properly and no warnings can be displayed. Keep it grounded until a mobile device is connected would be my strong advice.

if he has an RC, connect to RC by turn on Spark and turn on RC until red dot then hold down (Pause button + Fn button + Aux button (locate right below the camera button infront of RC right hand)...hear beep and let go until red light on RC light turn solid green) you are now connect to Spark with RC
2017-9-9
Use props
ReedB51
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233205 ft
United States

SeanGillian Posted at 2017-9-9 14:32
if he has an RC, connect to RC by turn on Spark and turn on RC until red dot then hold down (Pause button + Fn button + Aux button (locate right below the camera button infront of RC right hand)...hear beep and let go until red light on RC light turn solid green) you are now connect to Spark with RC

We were able to link the remote to the drone, green led on left of remote turned green.  Going to try updating firmware...   thanks
2017-9-9
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Without a phone or tablet, you have NO information whatsoever. No batt info, no flight time, homepoint, GPS, nothing. Never mind, if he is not looking at the display during flight, but he will in case it is beepin or the drone is goin missing
2017-9-9
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The mavic can fly without a phone or tablet, but the spark need a phone or a tablet to fly.
2017-9-9
Use props
SeanGillian
lvl.2
United States

ReedB51 Posted at 2017-9-9 16:04
We were able to link the remote to the drone, green led on left of remote turned green.  Going to try updating firmware...   thanks

be sure you can see Spark during flight ....line of sight is crtical if fly without app
2017-9-9
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmmm. as often as the app crashes and I can still control AC from RC, I would have to say that it would fly without phone / tablet, although I never would.
As others have mentioned, NO DATA of any kind.

Not sure if it would record a home point either.
'
When the app crashes, if I can't get it to restart right away, I land immeadiatly.
2017-9-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

It is recommended to fly the drone with a mobile device. For the brand new drone, you should activate it via the APP first, then you'll be able to start the motors.
2017-9-9
Use props
joesky
lvl.2
Israel

ok . i want to tell u all guys who said , dji spark can not fly with rc only. so i have good news,
2019-3-9
Use props
joesky
lvl.2
Israel

yes , you can fly the dji spark only with rc !!!!!! . i did it myself. the only thing u have to do the first time , binding the aircraft to the rc.after that , that it , fly it just with rc
2019-3-9
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

It so disappointing that so called forum experts give out such nonsense answers.
Yes you Can fly without a Phone or tablet !!!!! so long as you have the RC (Remote Controller)
It doesnt fly in GPS mode but rather in ATTI mode( Attitude Mode) this is where the bottom sensors still are able to determine where the ground is but NOT where
the Spark is so you have to keep it in sight and bring it home yourself (like any Radio Controlled vehicle).
To the experts Dont comment with abbreviations and quips most who enquire are beginners and you only appear arrogant and stupid.
2019-10-29
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

It so disappointing that so called forum experts give out such nonsense answers.
Yes you Can fly without a Phone or tablet !!!!! so long as you have the RC (Remote Controller)
It doesnt fly in GPS mode but rather in ATTI mode( Attitude Mode) this is where the bottom sensors still are able to determine where the ground is but NOT where
the Spark is(which is what GPS satellite connection enables)so you have to keep it in sight and bring it home yourself (like any Radio Controlled vehicle).

ie you dont have the Return to Home function, Follow me (not sure but dont thinks so) or Waypoints (avail via apps like Litchi for the Spark)
You can also fly with just hand gestures but this is more for selfies and not very practical.

To the experts Dont comment with abbreviations and quips most who enquire are beginners and you only appear arrogant and stupid.
2019-10-29
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT Posted at 10-29 18:38

And why shouldn't it fly in GPS mode?
The bird does not need the device for that.
the device is just the "thing", the pilot needs to see some info, the cam view, but the RC and the bird don't need a phone or tablet.
2019-10-29
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT Posted at 10-29 18:38

I think you'll find that's OPTI mode, not ATTI, Sorry couldn't resist!
2019-10-30
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

MKPSG12 Posted at 10-30 00:13
I think you'll find that's OPTI mode, not ATTI,  Sorry couldn't resist!

the mode called opti, yes, but without device, just RC, it is still flying in GPS, as long it has GPS.
Which you can see , green stabil leds on the back!
2019-10-30
Use props
Flyoz
lvl.1
Australia

MKPSG12 Posted at 10-30 00:13

Opti ??? theres GPS and thers Atti where is Opti?  (it uses an optical sensor butt hats not the mode)
2019-10-31
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

Flyoz Posted at 10-31 22:13
Opti ??? theres GPS and thers Atti where is Opti?  (it uses an optical sensor butt hats not the mode)

Yes it is and it displays as OPTI on the top of the screen where it would usually say GPS/ATTI. Its when the AC doesn't have a strong enough satellite signal for GPS mode but is low enough to the ground that the vision sensors can keep position  by scanning the ground. IIRC the manual says it only works to about 8m and will not work over certain surfaces, such as water or blank flat surfaces.
2019-11-1
Use props
Harlequin66
New
Flight distance : 108 ft
Australia

MKPSG12 Posted at 2019-10-30 00:13

It does fly in GPS mode without the app/phone but the altitude is restricted to 30m & range to 50m. I have tried it several times and it will just sit in one place and not drift around so it must be in GPS mode.
* Disable wifi on phine first or it will keep trying to connect *
2020-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules