Error 2002 - bad public movie atom was found
1992 25 2017-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mberry
lvl.1
United States

Hello,

I recently purchased P4P. I am 35 years a photographer (not daguerreotypes ... film ) but new to video. In prepairation for a rapidly approaching 3 week trip to Iceland, I have been flying and shooting video. I am having a bit of serious difficulty. The videos shot with the P4P will not play. I keep getting the 'Error 2002 - bad public movie atom was found'. I realize this is not a new topic but I failing to find a solution.

The most helpful thread was started on 5/9/17 and did not end until 8/25/17. It is titled 'Error 2002 - bad public movie atom was found'.  I understood about 85% of said thread. My take away is that there seems to be an issue how DJI writes the video information to the micro SDcard and how that is then interprets this information. DJI and its engineers participated in the discussion. Some work-arounds were tossed about but never a real solution to the issue. Then, after a couple of curt final remarks the thread ends save the last couple of posts to that thread that did not receive a response from DJI.

So, full circle. I have an upcoming 3 week trip to Iceland and I hope to shoot alot of video but I want to make sure I can view it afterwards without having to attend film school.

Help!

SDcard: SanDisk Extreme Pro Class 10, U3, V30 and A1

Recording format: 4K h.264 as .MOV
2017-9-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

OK, well you won't get a response from any DJI technical people, that just does not happen. You will however get good help here.

I just refreshed myself on this topic and it seems it is purely an Apple issue. It is not a case of how DJI write the files to the SD Card, because the error does not come up on PC systems. In addition, Mac users also report the same error when trying to play files made on other cameras including Nikons.

So I am guessing you get this when either playing the file back in Quicktime or in Final Cut Pro. One solution is to convert the files to ProRes and then edit them: http://www.jihosoft.com/convert- ... es-422-for-fcp.html

Or use an editing program that will handle the files like Da Vinci Resolve: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve/

I will take it as a given that you are copying the file from the SD Card to your HDD first, and not trying to playback from the card itself?

2017-9-9
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

My best bet is to reset your drone to default settings and format your SD card
2017-9-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Have you tried what Geebax suggested? You can also upload an original video from the SD card to the Dropbox, then provide me a link to download it? I'll forward it to our engineers for analysis, see if there is anything wrong with the video file?
2017-9-9
Use props
fanscf407498
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164304 ft
Canada

I am having the same problem. 30 year video professional but this is first drone.  We edit 4k video on a PC edit suite with Adobe CC so it's not a matter of computer capacity and not just Apple.  Following to see what solutions you find.  We also have a shooting trip in 2 weeks.  
2017-9-10
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-9 18:28
Have you tried what Geebax suggested? You can also upload an original video from the SD card to the Dropbox, then provide me a link to download it? I'll forward it to our engineers for analysis, see if there is anything wrong with the video file?

I am in the process of trying Geebax suggestions.

Here is the dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9dd2u8qcv5vb6z/DJI_0010.MOV?dl=0

Thank you for your response
2017-9-10
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-9-9 17:20

I have tried that but to no avail.

Thanks for the suggestion.
2017-9-10
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-9-9 17:20

Thanks. I have tried that but to no avail.
2017-9-10
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-9 16:38
OK, well you won't get a response from any DJI technical people, that just does not happen. You will however get good help here.

I just refreshed myself on this topic and it seems it is purely an Apple issue. It is not a case of how DJI write the files to the SD Card, because the error does not come up on PC systems. In addition, Mac users also report the same error when trying to play files made on other cameras including Nikons.

Thank you very much for your reply!

I should have mentioned I am currently working on Win 7 not Apple. I did try using the latest Quicktime download for Windows to view the video and as I said, nothing but the error message.

Taking your advice, I used Jihosoft to convert the .mov to .avi and the video played but it was quite jumpy on the screen. Is this a hardware issue?

As this conversion is not exactly speedy, I must ask an obvious question. Is there not a 'universal' format? Or, is it better to just invest in editing software that will also handle conversions?

2017-9-10
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

fanscf407498 Posted at 2017-9-10 07:34
I am having the same problem. 30 year video professional but this is first drone.  We edit 4k video on a PC edit suite with Adobe CC so it's not a matter of computer capacity and not just Apple.  Following to see what solutions you find.  We also have a shooting trip in 2 weeks.

Thank you for replying.

Your comments echo the conversations in the thread I mentioned in comment #1. I can't help but feel as though there is a key puzzle piece missing. That said, being new to video makes it easy for me to be dead wrong. However, according to previous posts, the P4P is the only DJI product encountering this issue.

Can you tell me more about your current workflow (the five year old version) so that I might understand this whole process a bit better?

Thanks again.
2017-9-10
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

mberry Posted at 2017-9-10 10:24

This video is plays as normal. Is this not working for you?
2017-9-10
Use props
Zoom2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164304 ft
Canada

G_Sig Posted at 2017-9-10 11:56

Hi - there is no link in the post.  Can you resend.
2017-9-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mberry Posted at 2017-9-10 11:22
Thank you very much for your reply!

I should have mentioned I am currently working on Win 7 not Apple. I did try using the latest Quicktime download for Windows to view the video and as I said, nothing but the error message.

OK, if you are working on a PC platform, then do you want to solve the problem for playback or editing? If it is just playback, then try a free download of VLCPlayer, it handles just about anything you throw at it. If you want to edit the material, then try Da Vinci Resolve, it will also handle it just fine, but is a bit of a steep learning curve and requires you to have a suitable GPU card.

I have been involved in the industry since 1962, and have used many editors, and Resolve is by far the best and co-incidentally it has a free version, but I can understand that not everyone is prepared to devote the time to learning it.

2017-9-10
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Zoom2000 Posted at 2017-9-10 14:43
Hi - there is no link in the post.  Can you resend.

Read post  #4 and #6. The link is there.
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

mberry Posted at 2017-9-10 10:24

Almost 4GB, the video is fine, I can play it. I am using Potplayer, please try other players, like  KMPlayer.
2017-9-10
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2017-9-10 11:56

After downloading PotPlayer, I am able to play the video.

Thank you all for your help. This must be a good community to put up with nubies!
2017-9-11
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-10 15:46
OK, if you are working on a PC platform, then do you want to solve the problem for playback or editing? If it is just playback, then try a free download of VLCPlayer, it handles just about anything you throw at it. If you want to edit the material, then try Da Vinci Resolve, it will also handle it just fine, but is a bit of a steep learning curve and requires you to have a suitable GPU card.

I have been involved in the industry since 1962, and have used many editors, and Resolve is by far the best and co-incidentally it has a free version, but I can understand that not everyone is prepared to devote the time to learning it.

I will need editing abilities. I don't mind a steep learning curve if I can see end benefit. I will probably only edit video as a hobby. That said, I like a challenge and I like toys. I will need to update GPU card. In broad strokes, what are the major differences between Da Vinci Resolve (free version or pay) and Adobe Pr?
2017-9-11
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-10 23:50
Almost 4GB, the video is fine, I can play it. I am using Potplayer, please try other players, like  KMPlayer.

Thank you Diana!
2017-9-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mberry Posted at 2017-9-11 13:40
I will need editing abilities. I don't mind a steep learning curve if I can see end benefit. I will probably only edit video as a hobby. That said, I like a challenge and I like toys. I will need to update GPU card. In broad strokes, what are the major differences between Da Vinci Resolve (free version or pay) and Adobe Pr?

The paid version of Resolve only adds a few lesser used features, such as noise reduction and 3D processing. But it starts with the world's best colour correction system, and is still in the process of being developed. Whereas Premiere is more or less a finished product and is not likely to get major enhancements as it goes forward. Resolve has recently had great audio mixing features added to it as well.
2017-9-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I just found this link to a Yahoo Answers item, it places the blame for this error message squarely in Apple's court. It is to do with the use of 32 or 64 bit track durations. Both are legal under the ISO specification for MPEG, but Apple reject the 64 bit addresses: https://au.answers.yahoo.com/que ... 080429170137AAbQ6nu
2017-9-11
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-11 14:25
The paid version of Resolve only adds a few lesser used features, such as noise reduction and 3D processing. But it starts with the world's best colour correction system, and is still in the process of being developed. Whereas Premiere is more or less a finished product and is not likely to get major enhancements as it goes forward. Resolve has recently had great audio mixing features added to it as well.

Is there anything in video that is like shooting in RAW?

Are most of the standard video shooting formats similar to a JPEG image where there is little data to manipulate? How is Resolve getting so much color correction?
2017-9-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mberry Posted at 2017-9-12 04:05
Is there anything in video that is like shooting in RAW?

Are most of the standard video shooting formats similar to a JPEG image where there is little data to manipulate? How is Resolve getting so much color correction?

Yes, The Blackmagic cameras, made by the same company that make Resolve, can shoot in CinemaDNG, which is the same as a still image shot in RAW. Each frame of video is a seperate file in DNG, and Resolve works with it beautifully. But very few cameras shoot in CinemaDNG at present, and only the DJI Inspire 2 can shoot in CinemaDNG among the drones. But to do this, it uses small SSD drives, because none of the card formats can keep up with the record speed.

DJI cannot do much with their consumer range of aircraft, because of the need for a powerful video processing section and very fast speed of transfer to the micro SD card, so they only provide a log version of the video, that allows you a greater latitude in post-processing compared to normal JPG.

Resolve is good because it came from a background twenty years ago of being the most powerful (and also most expensive) color correction system created by the Da Vinci company. Now you can have the benefit of that power for free.

2017-9-12
Use props
mberry
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-12 15:40
Yes, The Blackmagic cameras, made by the same company that make Resolve, can shoot in CinemaDNG, which is the same as a still image shot in RAW. Each frame of video is a seperate file in DNG, and Resolve works with it beautifully. But very few cameras shoot in CinemaDNG at present, and only the DJI Inspire 2 can shoot in CinemaDNG among the drones. But to do this, it uses small SSD drives, because none of the card formats can keep up with the record speed.

DJI cannot do much with their consumer range of aircraft, because of the need for a powerful video processing section and very fast speed of transfer to the micro SD card, so they only provide a log version of the video, that allows you a greater latitude in post-processing compared to normal JPG.

For all of your help, I am grateful!

Best Regards,

MAB
2017-9-13
Use props
SteveJayVA
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-9 18:28

I'm following this discussion for an update from DJI. Is there any resolution or fix?
2017-11-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SteveJayVA Posted at 2017-11-8 08:53
I'm following this discussion for an update from DJI. Is there any resolution or fix?

It is not a DJI problem. If you read this thread through, it is an Apple problem.
2017-11-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

SteveJayVA Posted at 2017-11-8 08:53

Sorry for the delay, I was on my holiday. I updated it in the post 15#. 1.png
2017-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules