Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Accidentally flew into window
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf8e03444
New
United States

Hey phantom guys, I was  practicing a shoot in my parents yard, parts of it are really narrow so I turned off the obstacle  avoidance sensors. Did really well until the end when the wind pushed the drone towards a window, at this point the drone was just hovering possibly going at a very slow speed. The drone appeared to bounce around when the propellers hit the window. This happened incredibly fast and was able to get the drone out of there fairly quick. No damage to the sliding glass door just minor scuffs that were easily wiped away, also no damage to props just some scuffs. The drone did not fall or hit the ground. Would you guys continue to fly it or should I get it checked out, I did fly it a bit more and it seemed ok. What I'm worried about is the electronic motors, gimbal, the camera etc. would you guys get it checked out by DJI? Thank you all in advance.
2017-9-9
Use props
fansf8e03444
New
United States

Accidentally flew into window

Hey phantom guys, I was  practicing a shoot in my parents yard, parts of it are really narrow so I turned off the obstacle  avoidance sensors. Did really well until the end when the wind pushed the drone towards a window, at this point the drone was just hovering possibly going at a very slow speed. The drone appeared to bounce around when the propellers hit the window. This happened incredibly fast and was able to get the drone out of there fairly quick. No damage to the sliding glass door just minor scuffs that were easily wiped away, also no damage to props just some scuffs. The drone did not fall or hit the ground. Would you guys continue to fly it or should I get it checked out, I did fly it a bit more and it seemed ok. What I'm worried about is the electronic motors, gimbal, the camera etc. would you guys get it checked out by DJI? Thank you all in advance.
2017-9-9
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I think this is a totally subjective call for you personally.  However, based on your description of the event, it sounds like your UAV is code 1 OK.  
If you really feel strongly about it, I would run the drone through its paces checking controls, responses, rate of movement, video filming, photo taking, gimbal movement, checking warnings and notes, review your flight log from the event, etc. etc. etc. if you don't find or see any issues then I'd say you would be good to go.  Chalk it up to lesson learned and drone on.
2017-9-9
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

It appears you posted this twice...
2017-9-9
Use props
fansf8e03444
New
United States

Genghis9, yes it appeard twice sorry about that. Thank you for your input
2017-9-9
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Your props might have went out of balancing shape..if for me..i change the 4 props... if didn't crash the drone, i wont bother to send in
2017-9-9
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

My Phantom 4 hit a treetop, fell 30 feet through the branches, bounced off the ground, and got airborne again with the only damage being to one propeller and the camera.  The aircraft itself had no problems.

If mine can survive that, yours should be perfectly fine.
2017-9-9
Use props
fansf8e03444
New
United States

Thank you Siambuddhas, I might just replace them to play it safe
2017-9-9
Use props
fansf8e03444
New
United States

Awesome good to know, thank you TN Lone Wolf
2017-9-9
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Change the props and the plastic prop mounts; glass is hard stuff and may have caused stress fractures in the plastic.  The plastic of the props and mounts will have taken the impact and protected the motors etc.
If the props were damaged then you would probably see it, but with the prop mounts you probably wont until a piece falls off.

If everything else is working then I wouldn't worry about anything else.

Note that obstacle avoidance can't see glass anyway, it either sees through it or sees reflections in it and gets the distance wrong in either case - keep away!
2017-9-10
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf8e03444 Posted at 2017-9-9 20:23
Awesome good to know, thank you TN Lone Wolf

Aloha fansf8,

Ditto on the responses you received.  But, do pay attention to what Nigel says about the nature of the plastic and mounts.  If nothing else, monitor it over time and be careful.  What you have is not cheap and it is not a toy.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

At least you didn't go through it like this guy

2017-9-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-10 04:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKCrMHBs8u0

There is no way a Phantom is going to go through a laminated window like that!  Not even flat out in sports mode which this wasn't.
2017-9-10
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-10 04:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKCrMHBs8u0

O M G... I don't know if I should laugh, cry, or fear for the pilot's life.
This is why at the first sign of "something isn't right" I always bring my bird home and run some tests.  This is not how you meet new people.
2017-9-10
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

DJI installs a lot of pre-flight checks in its software and hardware.  If rotors are overheating, it will tell you.  If it detects instability, it will warn you.  
My recommendation is spend a day doing "low level" test flights and monitor how it responds.  One of the first things I always do when I begin flight is raise it to about 6ft and let it hover.  I listen to the blades to hear if it sounds like the various rotors are oscillating to compensate for one weak blade, or if it seems to be "correcting" its self positioning.  I've trimmed two trees and had mine land doing a "wheelie" and yet the P4P still flies like nothing ever happened to it.
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-10 06:34
There is no way a Phantom is going to go through a laminated window like that!  Not even flat out in sports mode which this wasn't.

Hey Hey now if it is on the internet it must be true, kinda sorta maybe...
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-10 09:48
DJI installs a lot of pre-flight checks in its software and hardware.  If rotors are overheating, it will tell you.  If it detects instability, it will warn you.  
My recommendation is spend a day doing "low level" test flights and monitor how it responds.  One of the first things I always do when I begin flight is raise it to about 6ft and let it hover.  I listen to the blades to hear if it sounds like the various rotors are oscillating to compensate for one weak blade, or if it seems to be "correcting" its self positioning.  I've trimmed two trees and had mine land doing a "wheelie" and yet the P4P still flies like nothing ever happened to it.

As a rule I do similar...I'll hover about 6 feet up and do a quick and complete controllability check of all controls first then proceed, the whole while I'm listening for anything that sounds off or wrong.  
Unfortunately we can't mimic our manned aircraft or even fixed wing RC and check controls while airspeed zero and altitude zero or I would do that then.
2017-9-10
Use props
fansf8e03444
New
United States

Thank you everyone for the advice.
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You're supposed to open the window first. ;-)

Yeah I know, sorry.  Ah, but I thought it was funny at the time.. Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-9-10
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Listen, watch, feel.... Take your time and see if it does EVERYTHING it should do at a very low altitude (6 feet?) before you take it up.  
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to send it in for fully check: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules