Mavic focus not sharp
3404 18 2017-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dccam
lvl.2
United States

Some where in the last week or so, I believe after a firmware update (not 100% sure of that) my focus stopped producing sharp images.

Ive combed these pages and the pilots forum for solutions, found 3-4 different idea's and executed all of them 3 times over, and no love.

- Re-installed sofware
- re-caliberated IMU, gimble
- re-set camera settings

The only thing I havent tried (in relation to other kinds of firmware problems) is trying the "hack" to go back in firmware time to previous version.

Ive had no crashes.
All other functions seem to work perfectly.
Even the focus mechanisms are working, ie when in auto, it tries.... you can see it searching, and then supposedly finding sharp and then stopping the search, but its not sharp. The manual wheel moves the mechanism and I can see things changing but no sharp. Actually I see it changing but feels like nothing becomes sharp even at closer range.

Any idea's out there?
Dji service center job?

still image

still image
DJI_0001-2.jpg
2017-9-10
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

Can you manually focus to get a sharp image ?
I don't know if activating "peak focus" helps trouble shooting ? (the option in the camera menu to get red lines on that is supposedly in focus).
What versions are you running ?  IOS or Android ? try with another / older version of DJI GO  ?
2017-9-10
Use props
Dccam
lvl.2
United States

Yea, I cant get anything in focus manually either.
It seems like the auto focus try's to make it as best focus as possible, then stops trying. And best possible is always soft. Manual focus cant get it any sharper then in those photos.
2017-9-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dccam Posted at 2017-9-10 08:13
Yea, I cant get anything in focus manually either.
It seems like the auto focus try's to make it as best focus as possible, then stops trying. And best possible is always soft. Manual focus cant get it any sharper then in those photos.

You say you've re-installed software, was that DJI Go 4 ?

If so have you tried refreshing the firmware on the Mavic using DJI Assistant 2 with aircraft connected to PC (or MAC) ?
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have noticed mine does very same with auto focus sometimes..it seems to be a calibration issue, no specific pattern to when AFC will or will not work..my manual focus does work however.   when my AFC fails and its just blur i usually fly mavic way high up so everything that would be in focus is at the far end of the focus scale (infinity).. after i let my mavic stabilize hovering in place for a couple seconds i tap focus on center of screen and it hunts for a little bit then usually locks it if not first try then it locks second try..  then usually AFC continues to work even properly refocusing as needed.  it seems the the camera in the mavic pro is losing calibration or was only loosely calibrated or something, im not sure. i haven't owned mavic pro long enough so to say its a firmware related issue or not.  but it is noticable

i guess a suggestion for DJi would be to allow us  to recalibrate focus lock system.  every pro level camera i have owned (including my Sony A7SII) allows me to recalibrate my focus and calibrate my focus, its very easy.  basically you use a focus card set lighting just so you use tripod or a stationary position and you pull focus manually until focus is razor sharp then you confirm then you repeat for each distance incriminate and you can go really advanced and repeat it the process for lower light situations as well when focus would normally struggle.  and most pro level cameras also give you a reset to default option so if your calibration isn't ideal as you thought or you want to revert to factory/firmware spec then reset it... but i think for the mavic pro and phantom 4 pro it should be a feature and option for advanced/pro user...specially with a reset option not much to worry about..
2017-9-10
Use props
Dccam
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-10 09:02
You say you've re-installed software, was that DJI Go 4 ?

If so have you tried refreshing the firmware on the Mavic using DJI Assistant 2 with aircraft connected to PC (or MAC) ?

Yes, re-installed via DJI assitant 2 connected through a PC.
and Go-4 on iphone.
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Had you tried to reboot the drone again? Could you please help to take a screenshot of About at General Settings? Then provide us a video of the focusing on your mobile device if possible. Appreciate your assistance.  
2017-9-10
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Just to check the simple things, have you had a good look at the lens. Is it clean and no condensation.
2017-9-10
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

May need to check to focus outside in bright light too. Focusing inside in dull lighting may not be definitive.
2017-9-11
Use props
Dccam
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-10 21:42
Just to check the simple things, have you had a good look at the lens. Is it clean and no condensation.

yes, the lens is spotless!
2017-9-11
Use props
Dccam
lvl.2
United States

dancopter Posted at 2017-9-11 00:14
May need to check to focus outside in bright light too. Focusing inside in dull lighting may not be definitive.

Yes, Ive had it outside also. my first clue of the problem was coming back from shooting outside and having soft footage. Its a constant 2.8 lens so there is no help available from stopping down the lens unfortunatley.
2017-9-11
Use props
Dccam
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-10 19:18
Had you tried to reboot the drone again? Could you please help to take a screenshot of About at General Settings? Then provide us a video of the focusing on your mobile device if possible. Appreciate your assistance.

Hi, yes re-booted each time after re-installing software (as part of the process, and then again after IMU re-cal, etc. I'll do as you ask and get some more info and a video, but part of my process of "re-boot" is re-install software, re-set to factory settings, and then again in the camera menu "re-set camera settings". So the settings are all set to factory specs.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Dccam Posted at 2017-9-11 00:58
Hi, yes re-booted each time after re-installing software (as part of the process, and then again after IMU re-cal, etc. I'll do as you ask and get some more info and a video, but part of my process of "re-boot" is re-install software, re-set to factory settings, and then again in the camera menu "re-set camera settings". So the settings are all set to factory specs.

Understand your situation in rough, it seems a hardware issue. I suggest sending it back for repair. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

2017-9-11
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Is the second one, a cropped picture?
2017-9-11
Use props
Dccam
lvl.2
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-11 03:14
Is the second one, a cropped picture?

yes same image 100% cropped.
no question its out of focus, and doesn't get any better then this no matter what I do. Sometimes its a bit worse then this image.
2017-9-11
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep my finger on the C1 program button. Automatic focus would be something nice that DJI should somehow install in future MP projects.
2017-9-11
Use props
user0d07dac585
lvl.2
Flight distance : 400 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-11 06:51
Keep my finger on the C1 program button. Automatic focus would be something nice that DJI should somehow install in future MP projects.

I am having Problems with the Focus too. The Peaking shows all Red but in the enf it is soft! Otther shots are sharp though, so it is Not a Hardware Problem. I have allways wondered, what the Manual Focus as a preset  is good For with a drone? I love it with my osmo+. But a camera Up.in the aiir I rather have it in foucus All the time than the other way around...
2017-9-26
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

user0d07dac585 Posted at 2017-9-26 01:20
I am having Problems with the Focus too. The Peaking shows all Red but in the enf it is soft! Otther shots are sharp though, so it is Not a Hardware Problem. I have allways wondered, what the Manual Focus as a preset  is good For with a drone? I love it with my osmo+. But a camera Up.in the aiir I rather have it in foucus All the time than the other way around...

My hope is that whenever the MP 2 comes out, the camera will automatically focus. Would be nice.
2017-9-26
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

user0d07dac585 Posted at 2017-9-26 01:20

Likewise, and I posted another thread about this yesterday. Now I'm following this one to see if this is something that's just common with the Mavic. I mean some of my pictures are very sharp, then the next picture in the bunch looks just terrible by comparison.
2017-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules