o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

...chargers all the time.
I have chargers for everything.
Inspire 2, Spark, GH4 Camera, NP-F770 batteries, etc.
Trouble is, none of them have an On/Off switch on them.
If left plugged in, they do consume a small amount of power. The power usage doesn't really bother me as much as putting them through unnecessary wear and tear.
So, I built a power switching box.
With this I can turn on any of my chargers and know that they are on.
Then turn off when not in use.

pb3.JPG
pb2.JPG
pb1.JPG
2017-9-10
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Nice fabrication work - Could you not have just used a powerboard with switched outlets?
2017-9-10
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-9-10 06:53
Nice fabrication work - Could you not have just used a powerboard with switched outlets?

Thanks!
Yes, originally I was going to just modify a power strip. But I wanted indicator lights on each circuit. Then I wanted it to look good, so the project grew and morphed into what it is now.
2017-9-10
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Nice work! How much did it all cost? (and can you make me one?)

Mark G.
2017-9-10
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-9-10 07:27
Nice work! How much did it all cost? (and can you make me one?)

Mark G.

Too much!!

I have $125 in just the materials.
The walnut trimmed chassis bumped it up quite a bit.
But, I guess I have expensive taste. Gee, Inspire 2 with X5S.... yes, I have expensive taste.
Sure, I could build you one.
2017-9-10
Use props
Uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can see the earth bar connected to the input and outputs , but should it not also be connected to the metal box , or I am missing something in the picture ?
2017-9-11
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Uptowndisco Posted at 2017-9-11 18:53
I can see the earth bar connected to the input and outputs , but should it not also be connected to the metal box , or I am missing something in the picture ?

Yes, the chassis needs to be grounded.
I missed that completely.

Thanks!
2017-9-12
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi AM

Nice job, now we can only hope that DJI will come out with the promised .....I2 multi charging unit   maybe it too will only be 125 bucks?>
Rich
2017-9-12
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-9-12 20:04
Hi AM

Nice job, now we can only hope that DJI will come out with the promised .....I2 multi charging unit   maybe it too will only be 125 bucks?>

Hah!!
If you're gonna dream, dream big!!
I'm still waiting for my ultra bright crystal sky.
I have just about paid it off, maybe then I will get it!
2017-9-18
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

SUPER COOL!
2017-9-18
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-9-12 20:04
Hi AM

Nice job, now we can only hope that DJI will come out with the promised .....I2 multi charging unit   maybe it too will only be 125 bucks?>

Haha Rich, you saw their multi-charging carry case thing, right?  I'd LOVE that beast. It's almost as big as the Inspire 2 case.

I'll take either one of these for $125!
2017-9-18
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-9-10 07:04
Thanks!
Yes, originally I was going to just modify a power strip. But I wanted indicator lights on each circuit. Then I wanted it to look good, so the project grew and morphed into what it is now.

I know the feeling. You start with something basic, then so many different ideas pop into your head.

My biggest "pet peeve" with the current 4-bay charging thing is that it sits and beeps at you until the end of time. It would be great if there was something that would recognize when the port is requesting a charge, and then shutting it down if it's full. I don't like all the beeping.
2017-9-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-9-18 18:08
Hah!!
If you're gonna dream, dream big!!
I'm still waiting for my ultra bright crystal sky.

I am a dreamer   I hope they finally release this unit and the cost is not to bad!

Rich
2017-9-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-18 18:44
I know the feeling. You start with something basic, then so many different ideas pop into your head.

My biggest "pet peeve" with the current 4-bay charging thing is that it sits and beeps at you until the end of time. It would be great if there was something that would recognize when the port is requesting a charge, and then shutting it down if it's full. I don't like all the beeping.

I am holding out for the DJI unit. I really liked my SPC that was designed for the Inspire 1 and made my battery charging very easy. Unfortunately it does not appear they are not coming out with the Inspire 2 series multi charger.
link
Rich
2017-9-18
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I had a SPC for my Inspire 1 and loved it.
Cool thing was I used it for a year and then sold it for what I paid for it. (Can't say that about the I1!!)
Quality does often retain value.
2017-9-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-9-19 11:19
Yeah, I had a SPC for my Inspire 1 and loved it.
Cool thing was I used it for a year and then sold it for what I paid for it. (Can't say that about the I1!!)
Quality does often retain value.

Hi Aero,
Yes, the SPC was awesome and still have it. I will most likely sell it as you did and get the same money I paid too. PS I meant no offence to your project, I will be waiting for the DJI unit (if it ever happens )

Rich
2017-9-19
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-9-19 20:08
Hi Aero,
Yes, the SPC was awesome and still have it. I will most likely sell it as you did and get the same money I paid too. PS I meant no offence to your project, I will be waiting for the DJI unit (if it ever happens  )

None taken.
I often overbuild things as in the past, when rushing into a project I get to the end and wish I had made it better.

Now I ponder it beforehand   and redesign it a few times before actually building it.

SPC needs to make an I2 version. They probably will.
2017-9-20
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-9-20 14:30
None taken.
I often overbuild things as in the past, when rushing into a project I get to the end and wish I had made it better.

Aero
I asked SPC if they had plans for the Inspire 2 and they never answered me. Rich (original owner) is not involved as much as he was (semi-retired again)   Depending on the cost of the DJI unit, I might not be able to purchase it for non-pro use.  Guess we will need to see how this all plays out

The next battery technology is looming and it will affect all of our aircraft..   Hold on, things are always changing.
Rich
2017-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules