Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stress Crack - Phantom 4 Pro
3554 24 2017-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexPhant
lvl.1
Flight distance : 475384 ft
Germany

Hi fellas,

I just noticed some stress cracks on bottom of the arms of my P4P, right there where the ventilation holes are. it's jsut a minor crack, but its still ugly and gives me an insecure feeling when flying. is it possible that the crack increases during flight and that the arms will break off?  Is it a threat during flight ? Some help would be nice.

best regards

2017-9-10
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

How long have you had it?
2017-9-10
Use props
alexPhant
lvl.1
Germany

received it about 2 months ago, but really dont want to send it back, because from what ive heard, the chance of you getting your original bird back is not 100%.  know what i mean?
2017-9-10
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Yep, that can happen.  But you don't want them to get worse either.
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There are plastic adhesives, safe to use on the drone shell.

Many here have already done the fix, while others chose to order a new shell and replace it themselves.

Post a pic of your crack, will ya? (Oh that sounded wrong!!) ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Do you have any pictures.?
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

They will get worse in time, they are likely due to substandard plastic being used in an area that receives stress during flight.  A lot of torque and pull is placed on those arms when you command instant acceleration and speed to the craft and those vents represent a weak area to the overall structural integrity of the arm.  If you do nothing they will increase and/or find more as time and use go on.  You can only do what was stated already, replace the shell yourself, send it in, or conduct a repair using an epoxy/tape/glue.  However, you need to ensure that whatever you use for that last one will not further damage the shell or you might make it worse in the process.
2017-9-10
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.4

United States

A picture would give us a better idea, but there are many fixes from filling it with a hairline epoxy resin tube to a cloth fiberglass patch.  I would be most concerned if it was at one of the motors or near moving parts, but aside from that, if you cover or fill the crack, it should prevent it from spreading.
2017-9-10
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Post a picture of your crack on the drone and lets see.
2017-9-10
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

A picture will be helpful for further assistance. Generally, I would not suggest to use when the crack appears.
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I was just reading this article about Bondic.
http://www.lemondrone.com/drone- ... eres-best-glue-fix/

Hope this helps.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Yeah when your crack is exposed don't fly...and please don't provide a picture of your crack but do provide one of the crack on your UAV
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 21:24
Yeah when your crack is exposed don't fly...and please don't provide a picture of your crack but one of the crack on your UAV

Yikes. This is getting very forward...

Perhaps we all need to take a few steps back. Myself included, foremost.

Still eagerly awaiting the pics... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
greg.k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2633698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I can speak from experience on this topic. I had cracks in two places on my bird. Firstly, at the rear of the battery compartment, and also on the arm near the vent like yours. Both happened without any impact or collisions. I also have had repeated gimbal issues. Mine is about the same age as yours.

I was planning to send it back due to the first crack. The extra crack made the decision easy for me.

I can tell you, that I was surprised with how well it went. DJI were excellent on communication and all other aspects of the end user experience... There were some delays in getting the initial shipping label, but once that was sorted - everything worked well.

1. They acknowledge receipt.
2. They told me when the work was complete - and asked me to wait another 2 days for QA
3. They told me when it was shipped.

The returned product had stickers over all of the sensors, and had no signs of wear - so have to assume that it is either a new chassis, or a completely new aircraft. In either event, that part impressed me.

On the downside. My gimbal is still experiencing problems. However, I will be travelling soon - so won't have time to send it back for a bit over a month.

My recommendation: Send it in. I am happy with the outcome. I'll start a thread in the meantime on the gimbal issue and see if others can provide some guidance.
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-10 21:34
Yikes. This is getting very forward...

Perhaps we all need to take a few steps back. Myself included, foremost.

You started it Mr Chuckles

Just Kidding!
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

greg.k Posted at 2017-9-10 21:42
I can speak from experience on this topic. I had cracks in two places on my bird. Firstly, at the rear of the battery compartment, and also on the arm near the vent like yours. Both happened without any impact or collisions. I also have had repeated gimbal issues. Mine is about the same age as yours.

I was planning to send it back due to the first crack. The extra crack made the decision easy for me.

Were you having this gimbal issue before you sent it in?
or
Is it something that was noticed when you got the repaired bird back.
Thank you
2017-9-10
Use props
greg.k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2633698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 21:51
Were you having this gimbal issue before you sent it in?
or
Is it something that was noticed when you got the repaired bird back.

Gimbal issue was before and after service... I just opened a new thread on this with some details...
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=112559
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 21:39
You started it Mr Chuckles

Yes, I thought I was being bold and brave. Then I realized the error of my ways.

As this is a family friendly forum, we should all be formal and on our best behavior.

I should have thought about my words, before typing...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

In addition, you can contact the Support, provide them with a photo of the crack, they'll help you to start a case, then you'll be able to send it in for diagnosis and repair. http://www.dji.com/support
2017-9-11
Use props
alexPhant
lvl.1
Germany

OK then, I didn't buy the drone at Dji though. Should I then contact the store i bought it from, or what?

best regrads
2017-9-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

alexPhant Posted at 2017-9-11 06:40
OK then, I didn't buy the drone at Dji though. Should I then contact the store i bought it from, or what?

best regrads

You can just contact dji direct at address Diana has given you. Once you activated drone you are registered with dji.
Good luck.
2017-9-11
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-11
Use props
Kuya Kano
First Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

greg.k Posted at 2017-9-10 21:42

Thank you for sharing your experience with DJI.

I just got the same stress crack by the cooling intake of the rotor myself and sent mine in with 5 weeks till our trip to the Philippines.  They told me it only takes two weeks to fix the stress crack.  -Here's hoping I get it back before crossing the pond.
2017-11-8
Use props
rwcreigh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 111818 ft

United States

good luck and keep us posted.
2017-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules