Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
poor battery flight time
131 28 2017-9-10 14:01:05
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

Capture4.JPG Capture1.JPG hi..
i would of thought i would have got a longer flight time than 11m 52 secs
with a brand new battery?  unless the battery needs breaking in more.. I landed with 37% battery left

air data 1.JPG
Capture5.JPG
2017-9-10 14:01:05
Use props
Lucas775
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 973534
Canada

Whoa! that is not good, give it couple more charges and see what happens.
2017-9-10 13:59:26
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

Sad {:4_166:}
will do that and time it on a stop clock
i do know my normal lipo batteries when new give a longer flight time after a few charges
but these dji one's, are suppose to be intelligent. or are they?
2017-9-10 14:12:04
Use props
Nauticalman
Hobbyist
United States

15.44mph?  Were you in beginner's mode?  How old is your battery?  They do deplete their top charge over time, but that should be after a few years of use and gradual decline at best.
2017-9-10 14:16:50
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 50323
Canada

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-10 14:12
Sad
will do that and time it on a stop clock
i do know my normal lipo batteries when new give a longer flight time after a few charges

Yes, you should be getting twice that flight time.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10 14:12:52
Use props
ALABAMA
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 241236
United States

If not better after next charge,  I think I would send that one packing.
2017-9-10 14:22:10
Use props
RicardoGray
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 1109086
United States

Well, I don't know if I would get too alarmed just yet. You haven't shared with us what kind of winds were you flying in? Or what kind of power were you using....did you have the throttle maxed out? I mean you went almost 12 minutes, and then landed with 37% left, so I'm guessing you could have another 5 minutes left. That would give you around 17 minutes of flight, which is maybe a bit short. What are you used to getting? I will tell you most of my batteries have some age now and I am comfortable with that 15-18 minute flight times. I can remember when they were new I was lucky to see a 20 minute flight. I think DJI stretches a bit those advertised flight times. Mine nevere saw 23-minutes. Maybe a few more charges like Lucas775 suggested, might help. They do seem to have a break-in period too, and will get max power after 10 charges or so. At least that seems to be what I remember. Haven't bought any new ones for a while now, but even my older ones with a couple hundred charges still run me that 17-18 minutes of flight no problem. But I don't push the envelpoe either by running until it is 10%, unless I get myself into trouble I mean. I try to land in the 20% range.
2017-9-10 14:28:37
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

hi all
wind was 3.5 mph most of the flight was in hover mode with camera doing video
not flying it fast or flat out, also it was not in beginner mode
if memory serves me right, i think i read an article on the new dji battery to fly and land with 50% left in the battery
for about 5/6 times wether this is just a mith who knows
2017-9-10 15:12:51
Use props
Dirty Bird
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 1114321
  • >>>
United States

Not all that bad if you are achieving 19 minutes of flight with a P3 Advanced (assuming that's what it is based on the name).  This is especially true since you appear to be doing a lot of slow speed flight & hovering.  
2017-9-10 16:08:22
Use props
RicardoGray
Intern Pilot
United States

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-10 15:12
hi all

I agree with Dirty Bird. As I said earlier, if you get 17-19 flight time that is not bad. Sorry, but I have to say I disagree with Redhotpoker about getting twice as much. That would me you should be seeing 30 minutes of flight time. Not going to happen with a phantom 3 standard, advance or pro. They advertise 23 minutes, but I don't think any of us have experienced that. Just my opinion.
2017-9-10 16:16:52
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-9-10 16:16
I agree with Dirty Bird. As I said earlier, if you get 17-19 flight time that is not bad. Sorry, but I have to say I disagree with Redhotpoker about getting twice as much. That would me you should be seeing 30 minutes of flight time. Not going to happen with a phantom 3 standard, advance or pro. They advertise 23 minutes, but I don't think any of us have experienced that. Just my opinion.

11+11=30 ?? Go back to your abacus and add them again. Haha

Yes, he should have gotten nearer to 22min. than 11min. Hey? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10 16:24:31
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

yes i did a lot of slow forward and reverse flight and hovering
plus increase and decrease heights i would of expected at least with 30% plus left in the battery about 16/17 minutes flight time
2017-9-10 16:34:02
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83851
Canada

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-10 15:12
hi all

Though it sounds counter-intuitive, hovering actually is tougher on the batteries than moving.   
2017-9-10 16:38:48
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-10 16:38
Though it sounds counter-intuitive, hovering actually is tougher on the batteries than moving.

It makes sense to me, but would you explain this concept to the flock? Thanks

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10 16:46:09
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

i would of thought that flying it rather than hover would pull more power out the battery
i may be wrong
2017-9-10 16:59:48
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 435748
United States

so round it ..  12 minutes of flight  = 60% drained with 40% remaining (rounded) = 19 minutes total possible flight time with wind (rounded)..     

that's not too bad?! right..for a phantom 3 advanced in the 3mph cross breeze doing about 15mph, i would be little more concerned if its a P4P
2017-9-10 17:15:16
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83851
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-10 16:46
It makes sense to me, but would you explain this concept to the flock? Thanks

In casual terms, it is to do with efficiency.  To keep a stable hover, the Phantom must constantly change motor speeds.  Especially in windy situations. That is not very efficient.  A less than full throttle forward speed does not require so much correction, and the motor speeds are more constant.  This is all assuming you are operating in P mode, which is probably the most common mode used when shooting pics or video, because of stability.   So, in theory, you can achieve better battery life by flying without stabilization aids.
2017-9-10 17:20:21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-10 17:20
In casual terms, it is to do with efficiency.  To keep a stable hover, the Phantom must constantly change motor speeds.  Especially in windy situations. That is not very efficient.  A less than full throttle forward speed does not require so much correction, and the motor speeds are more constant.  This is all assuming you are operating in P mode, which is probably the most common mode used when shooting pics or video, because of stability.   So, in theory, you can achieve better battery life by flying without stabilization aids.

Very well explained. And I thank you bud.

Yes, straight forward flight with little other stick input, can certainly take you a long way from the set home point, before turning around and flying back to your dynamic home point.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10 17:29:23
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 435748
United States

ya makes good sense.. i get about 22-25 minutes out of my mavic pro if i keep it stable between 20 and 22 mph and dont have any wind to fight..   i find cross winds are the worst for flight time on my mavic. im sure its similar or same on phantoms,  because it has to fight just as hard both ways (im guessing).. but ya today one of my battery lasted around 16 minutes (worst run yet) but i had a pretty nasty cross wind the entire time..my other batteries got similar times.. 18 and 20 minutes..
2017-9-10 17:39:49
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

right ok, thanks for all the help given
very much appreciated it makes sense now
i will use it in atti mode and not hover as much and compare the flight times
thanks again
2017-9-10 17:45:36
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-10 17:45
right ok, thanks for all the help given
very much appreciated it makes sense now
i will use it in atti mode and not hover as much and compare the flight times

I know this will probably sound crazy, but you might deep cycle that flight pack.
Bringing the voltage down to around 8% charge, and then back up to 100%.

Just a long shot, but who can say...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10 18:02:07
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

hi red hot poker
dji i am told don't recommend deep discharge cycling  anymore
this is a new battery not been used before
i do have some with 29/30 charges on them they have not been discharged down
and recharged
2017-9-11 05:27:19
Use props
RicardoGray
Intern Pilot
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-10 16:24
11+11=30 ?? Go back to your abacus and add them again. Haha

Sorry man! I guess I was thinking he had about 12-minutes @ 37% so figure a couple more before it got to 20%, and I was using 15 minutes as a guess. And I thought you were referring to double that time. Hey, I know you have been around here a long time & I wasn't trying to discredit you in any way. I should have maybe stated my answer a little differently. I have always valued your knowledge on this forum. I totally agree that 22 minutes might be a perfect scenario with a new battery.
2017-9-11 06:43:50
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-9-11 06:43
Sorry man! I guess I was thinking he had about 12-minutes @ 37% so figure a couple more before it got to 20%, and I was using 15 minutes as a guess. And I thought you were referring to double that time. Hey, I know you have been around here a long time & I wasn't trying to discredit you in any way. I should have maybe stated my answer a little differently. I have always valued your knowledge on this forum. I totally agree that 22 minutes might be a perfect scenario with a new battery.

Hey, no problem. I figured you had made a small error in thr math, and that's certainly forgivable.

I have four intelligent flight battery packs, for my Phantom 3 Pro, and know that his time was way short, from where it should be.  Hopefully, it was just a bad charge, and all future flights will give him adequate air time. If not, that flight pack is faulty, and should be exchanged for one that allows him the 22mins it should, always. Atleast until it's had a good long life...

Thank you, for being an upstanding and valued member of this DJI extended family/forum.
I look forward to reading your thoughts on various issues we all encounter...

Have a great day, and please fly responsibly. ;-)

Thanks again.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-11 08:49:27
Use props
RicardoGray
Intern Pilot
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-11 08:49
Hey, no problem. I figured you had made a small error in thr math, and that's certainly forgivable.

Hey thanks RedHotPoker. I know I don't have near as much time as lot of the members here, but I do enjoy interacting on the forum and I am approaching a several years of flying now, and certainly have had my own issues too. So, I try to offer reasonable advise from experiences I have had. I try to be polite and not offend anyone, even if I don't agree with what is being said. Like you said, it is shared issues we all experience, and what a great way to help other pilots! I know when I started out this forum was a tremendous help for me.
You are among that group of pilots that have a great deal of experience with DJI products, and we should all be thankful for all of you guys/gals support. I just wish I had more phantoms to be flying!
All in good time I guess.
Rock-on!
2017-9-11 09:26:39
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-9-11 09:26
Hey thanks RedHotPoker. I know I don't have near as much time as lot of the members here, but I do enjoy interacting on the forum and I am approaching a several years of flying now, and certainly have had my own issues too. So, I try to offer reasonable advise from experiences I have had. I try to be polite and not offend anyone, even if I don't agree with what is being said. Like you said, it is shared issues we all experience, and what a great way to help other pilots! I know when I started out this forum was a tremendous help for me.
You are among that group of pilots that have a great deal of experience with DJI products, and we should all be thankful for all of you guys/gals support. I just wish I had more phantoms to be flying!
All in good time I guess.

Forget the Phantom, let's all get the Inspire 2 and be in the big league. Haha

I know that at irregular times, we all have those days where we want to go off on somebody, literally.
But we bite our tongue and count to a billion. ;-)
One, one million, two, two million ~ 998, 998 million. Wicked grin

Being here has been a lot of fun for me. I actually enjoy answering the same questions, over and over, as new members climb onboard the big DJI ship. It never gets old or boring. We were all there once, and may be there again in the future, when our new drones enter the RC hangar...

Keep doing what you are doing, it's good to have you here. ;-)

Have a great day, go flying...

Eh, remember when we used to say, "Go fly a kite"? Chuckles
How times have changed. Hehe

RedHotPoker

2017-9-11 09:51:43
Use props
DJI-Mark
United States

Check the app to make sure that the you do not have any bad cells. Also, make sure your firmware is up to date.
2017-9-11 12:52:07
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

checked the cells all spot on with 100% charge
i don't want to update the F/W on the drone or r/c until all niggles have been sorted with the latest versions
will test again in better weather if still same problem i will send the battery back
what i will ask though is i see dji have the version 3.1.15 go app out they say it has fixed the map issue
i am using 3.1.13
would the later version go app be ok with f/w 1.9.10 and r/c version 1.80
just a thought
2017-9-11 15:04:40
Use props
DJI-Mark
United States

Review the battery safety guidelines that come on any of DJI's product page. You would find them on the downloads section.
2017-9-11 16:34:47
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next