Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Problems with Gimbal after return from service
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greg.k
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2633698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all.

I recently received my P4P back from service. It was sent in to deal with three issues:
  • Crack near battery compartment
  • Crack near vent on rear right arm
  • Gimbal problems.

After return, I still have Gimbal problems. I wanted to document my problems here, and see if others have the same issues:

• Gimbal Flop: I would say, one in three flights experiences a problem that I call "gimbal flop". Basically, the gimbal flops to a position that it would be naturally in if no power was applied. This happens more frequently with a bit of wind, but it doesnt have to be.
  • Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit: This one does not necessarily happen when the above error is detected... but it can be around the same time. (No correlation). However, what is really funny is the fact that I can get this error sometimes when the aircraft is on the ground, with no obstructions.
  • Gimbal Cicada Dance: This happens on the ground when the aircraft is powered up occasionally. Not sure of a direct correlation of cause. It starts to make noises that I think sound like a cicada, and the gimbal starts flopping around wildly. Cause unknown.
  • Lazy Eye Gimbal: This one is a 100% bug. When the aircraft is on the ground, and I go to DJI Assistant - and go into data mode to get a copy of DAT files from the aircraft, both my old and new aircraft gimbal starts to drift to the left (from the perspective of the aircraft), and stay there. If I listen carefully to the sound of the aircraft, it sounds like the gimbal is making some slight vibration noises, but not really pronounced.
  • That Magic Smell: We have all heard stories about how electronics manufacturers put "magic smoke" into their products, and if the magic smoke gets out, the product stops working. Well, this is a little like that. But no smoke. Just a faint odour noticed one time during the "Lazy Eye Gimbal" during a download. This happened on my new aircraft after service.

Now - I know that I can send my aircraft in for service again. However, that wont be possible for a month. I am curious if other people have the same symptoms, or if it is just me? Please answer the survey, and add details of your problems in comments.

Single SelectVote, Total 0 people participate in voting
0% (0)
0% (0)
0% (0)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Could you upload the issue video and offer the case number? I'd like to look into the status to see what I can do for you.
2017-9-11
Use props
greg.k
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Here is a youtube video illustrating the problem.

2017-9-12
Use props
greg.k
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

greg.k Posted at 2017-9-12 01:02
Here is a youtube video illustrating the problem.
https://youtu.be/-CjDhS9NNYg

CAS-928184-N8Y5J6
2017-9-12
Use props
MAR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3820220 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sorry to hear about your gimbal problems and I am even more sorry to tell you that you are not alone.  The "gimbal flop" is all too common unfortunately.  Be VERY careful of the Cicada dance as you call it. When you hear that sound the gimbal motors are under some stress.  I have had that sound on my P4P a few times and it is very worrying.  Let's hope DJI get these gimbal issues fixed as a matter of priority.  They had a "Gimbal Yaw" adjustment a couple of DJI GO4 versions ago but I can't see it now on the current version.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Can you contact Customer Service and see about getting an escalated repair?
2017-9-12
Use props
greg.k
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-12 08:53
Can you contact Customer Service and see about getting an escalated repair?

Hi Mark & Susan. Thanks for your reply.

Just to track the update here - I called in as discussed. The challenge is that I will be travelling internationally in the near future, and the repair will not make it back to me in time. I needed to do some filming with the p4p while away. I will take it with me, and try to be super gentle on the yaw for now.

Your support team have advised that they will create a "temporary case number" That I should quote on my return, at which time it will be sent in for service.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

greg.k Posted at 2017-9-12 19:47
Hi Mark & Susan. Thanks for your reply.

Just to track the update here - I called in as discussed. The challenge is that I will be travelling internationally in the near future, and the repair will not make it back to me in time. I needed to do some filming with the p4p while away. I will take it with me, and try to be super gentle on the yaw for now.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Double checked with the local engineers, confirmed that they did flight test and it was working at that time. Sorry for the inconvenience, I would recommend to send it in and tell me your new case number, I will keep follow up for you. The local team will take care of this and proceed it asap.
2017-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules