Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
mavic pro wind safety and other issues
2514 13 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

[size=14.6667px]I was wondering if the safety for mavic pro drones flying in strong wind is just for the more battery power running out and for the drone stabilization while maneuvering near to trees and other obstacles on the route, or there other reasons as they could be some mechanicals problems for the propellers rotors? And for the folding arms are they tough enough to be unfolded for many times? especially for the back arms if the get a bit bent from the side from where there attached to the outside. I dont know if  I been clear for the last example but im a bit worried when i close and open the drone to quicly, and in doing so some times with the wrong pressure in rotating them out the arms can get loose. As anyone had this issues yet?
2017-9-11
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although you can fly in windy conditions (strong winds isn't ideal to fly) in and it will def decrease battery juice. My assumptions is these copters are put through the test for all the opening/closing stuff per factory inspections.
I  don't fly in wind conditions that are over 11 mph.
2017-9-11
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I keep to below 5m/s, with gusts of no more than 8m/s at 120m altitude.
"UAV Forecast" app tells me right now that winds at 120m up are 5m/s, but gusts are at 16m/s, so a no-fly condition in my book.
Don't get deceived by calm winds at the ground level.
2017-9-11
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I have no choice but too push the limits of wind if I want to fly the Mavic in some mountain areas (it's rare to have low winds in some places). The biggest threat is a sudden gust that can overwhelm the Mavic and possibly blow it into terrain.  Also it is necessary to practice in high winds in safe areas (like big open fields) so you know what may happen when the wind gets really big. The Mavic is amazing and can handle some pretty big winds but it also requires skill and judgement to fly in those conditions.
2017-9-11
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have flown in upwards of 15MPH winds, just remember 2 main issues doing so..  1 your aircraft will be slower and 2 it will chew up battery life faster.     i believe the mavic pro can handle pretty good amount of wind around 20+MPH but if your doing a power run to get distance may have to make alternate landing arrangements..     like if its a head wind at 20+ mph im not going to fight it head on with a weakened battery..  im going to be making alternate landing arrangements.. and flank the wind to the sides... aviod head on.   i have not yet had to execute my backup landing plans...  but one plan i have is searching for cemeteries and churches, my logic is someone isn't very likely to steal off of cemetery or church property.. and if anyone is going to be acceptable of you emergency landing its going to be a church or a cemetery.  make sure turn landing protection off find open spot, tap auto landing button so it will land out of range...wont try to take back off on you for home again once below signal line.. make a run for it..  
2017-9-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You really shouldn't fly in higher wind than 22mph although in sport mode Mavic can handle a bit more, it will be a little less stable in winds but is pretty impressive and with good gps stability will be good, always remember be aware of gusting winds they can be very strong.
And always fly your mission starting into the wind, because if you loose signal and RTH is initiated Mavic can end up flying very slow into the wind.
2017-9-11
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Be carefull with wind.
I still use UAV Forecast. It is the best.
And don't worry with the folding arms. It will be strong enough to fly an entire drone's life.
Cheers.
2017-9-11
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

I use the same settings in UAV Forcast as BumblerBee... Better be safe then sorry...
2017-9-11
Use props
Landjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61496 ft
United States

I was  wondering if the safety for mavic pro drones flying in strong wind is  just for the more battery power running out and for the drone  stabilization while maneuvering near to trees and other obstacles on the  route, or there other reasons as they could be some mechanicals  problems for the propellers rotors?

DJI states:

"The Mavic can withstand a level 5 wind, also called a fresh breeze. This is defined as wind speeds of 19–24mph (29–38kph).
"
With that being said, be aware the ability of the Mavic can be (and often is) different than the ability of the pilot.
Terrain, trees, thermals and proximity to these things all have an influence on wind. It also changes with altitude. Be aware higher wind creates an ever changing environment. Take the time to learn your mavic, but more important - be aware of your abilities and don't outfly yourself.

And for the folding arms are they  tough enough to be unfolded for many times? im a bit  worried when i close and open the drone to quicly, and in doing so some  times with the wrong pressure in rotating them out the arms can get  loose.

DJI states:

"The folding mechanism has been tested to last at least 5000 folds. It is  unlikely that it will wear out during the Mavic’s lifetime."

2017-9-11
Use props
nnX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1123048 ft
Croatia

While I avoid flying in winds above 15 kph, I always plan route in which return path is downwind. Therefore wind is pushing the Mavic, helping battery life which is always low on return...

So advice would be to fly into the wind on departure and down the wind on return home.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please do not fly the drone when the wind speeds exceeding 10m/s or the drone will fly away or crash into somewhere because it can not resist the wind. For any other hardware questions, DJI products are tested for thousands of hours, if you have problems with the drone, please feel free to contact us, we will do our best to help. Thanks for your kind feedback.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Mari Posted at 2017-9-11 08:14
I use the same settings in UAV Forcast as BumblerBee... Better be safe then sorry...

Same here.What I also noticed if u suddenly get gust of wind...facing into the wind helps or if its too strong lower altitude where there is not as much wind or land just incase.
2017-9-11
Use props
b0n3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

I had a chance to fly a lot with a mavic pro in a very strong wind conditions in Iceland...
The wind was very strong....just to imagine how strong it was.....you could lean a bit forward and lie on the wind and dan't fall....
It's was very complicated to film something, Mavic could hardly handeled that wind only in a sport mode and the gimbal was shaking alot!
There are a few simple rules:

1. Don't fly further than 50 meters from you.
2. Sport Mode only.
3. RC Signal lost  Failsafe - LANDING!

It's is qute hard to get a nice smooth shot, but it's is possible in a strong wind )Mavic is much more stronger than it looks like )
2017-9-11
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I have flow in 15m/p +/_  winds, gusting higher and the MP was really struggling to stay on station, and the only reason I was flying then was that I had a once in a life time chance to video something I wanted to capture. Typically I would not fly in that kind of wind just for fun.  I also use UAV forecast and just down loaded and app called wind compass which looks quite interesting.
2017-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules