Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crashed Spark and Broken Motor Arm, what now?
369 15 2017-9-11 07:01:28
Burak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15154
Germany

Hi everybody. A former Mavic Pro and a new Spark user here.
I was trying dronie mode but lost RC signal and before I could interfere and stop the dronie (because somehow the app didn't allow me to change the distance to something smaller than 40m) my little spark has crashed into the trees and fell down. I was quite confident that I would get away with a few scratches but saw that one of the motor arms was broken.
Didn't try to fly it again, this was a huge bummer for me.

I had not purchased DJI Care Refresh and right now I don't know what to do.
Can anybody suggest anything? I'm living in Turkey and we don't have official repair centers here. I can send it to US but then again, I have no idea on how I should proceed.

If the spare body frame is sold, I can do it myself, too but I couldn't find it anywhere online.
(Photos are attached)
Cheers for any suggestions.
spark3.jpg
spark1.jpg
spark2.jpg
2017-9-11 07:01:28
Use props
FatherXmas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 157343
United States

Check with this guy, he has Spark parts. I'm just not sure if he can ship to Germany, wouldn't hurt to ask him.
Tel (678) 763-4427
Thunderdrones@aol.com
2017-9-11 07:13:10
Use props
JMX46
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24082
Canada

I would be tempted to try glue on this (thick gel type CA or Epoxy) - another option would be get a quote from DJI on replacing the body (by opening support ticket)
2017-9-11 13:06:23
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 36368
  • >>>
United States

As long as the wires are still attached, glue it with JB Weld.
xxxjg.jpg
2017-9-11 13:37:09
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102313
United States

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-11 13:06
I would be tempted to try glue on this (thick gel type CA or Epoxy) - another option would be get a quote from DJI on replacing the body (by opening support ticket)

I had the same type of damage after a recent crash.  DJI Repair - $168.  
2017-9-11 18:42:55
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
China

I would recommend you send the drone in for diagnosis and repair, please contact the Support, they'll start a case for you and tell you how to send it in. Here is a link for your reference.
http://www.dji.com/support  
2017-9-11 18:43:48
Use props
SeanGillian
lvl.2
United States

I had same arm broken (worse then your, it was hanging by the motor wire) $107 was repaired bill
2017-9-11 19:01:46
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 978474
Canada

Send it in for repair.  IMO
2017-9-11 19:03:55
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
Germany

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your opinions with me.
What I thought yesterday was 4 options:
1) Repair it with a glue
2) DIY replacement with spare parts
3) Send it to DJI repair center in Netherlands
4) Send it to authorized repair center in my own country

I hate to see makeshift solutions and can not trust them, I also was not confident in replacing the body on my own (a very bad previous experience with an iPhone 4S). So I immediately skipped first two options.
I have opened up a ticket to DJI service but I was afraid to ship the drone and then see an astronomical repair bill. Spark is not like Mavic, the part costs are not available on the web site so I was scared.
I know that each and every damage is unique but still, I was too afraid to ship it and then see a 300$ bill waiting for me.

The drone is currently fully functional, even with the gesture mode, it woks as it should.

I have reached out to my local DJI authorized repair center and got a quote which I can work with. Sending it today and hope to see it repaired in 3 days.

Will share my experience and costs with you.
2017-9-11 22:56:28
Use props
bobsma
lvl.1
United States

Burak Posted at 2017-9-11 22:56
1) Repair it with a glue

a repair is only makeshift if you don't use a good glue and/or do a bad job.

the repair is a "no brainier" if done right.

save you repair money to buy some extra batteries.
2017-9-12 02:43:21
Use props
DJI Elektra
Administrator
Japan

Burak Posted at 2017-9-11 22:56
1) Repair it with a glue

Glad you send your spark to the local DJI authorized repair center and hope you can get your drone back soon. If you encounter any problem with the case, please feel free to contact us.
2017-9-12 03:34:17
Use props
fans552e670b
lvl.1
United States

DronerX Posted at 2017-9-11 18:42
I had the same type of damage after a recent crash.  DJI Repair - $168.

Mine was under $100, and included a motor and a top along with a new frame (US price).
2017-9-12 04:42:55
Use props
JMX46
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24082
Canada

$100 seems like a pretty fair price for the parts and labour to get DJI to do it
2017-9-12 13:12:56
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
France

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-12 13:12
$100 seems like a pretty fair price for the parts and labour to get DJI to do it

You know what, I also think this way. I felt more confident than ever with these costs.

I already got 3 batteries which are enough for me. Even done properly with a proper glue, I would still not be  100% sure that the geommetry of the craft and propellers were correct thus maybe using more battery than designed. Or flight might be effected resulting in very slightly blurry video.

These kind of stuff makes me stop loving my drone. So I chose this path. I am working for 3M, a worldwide known adhesives (and more) company and trust me I have access to some of the highest quality glues that exist. Still, this way I would be more happy as long as the price is right.
2017-9-14 02:17:21
Use props
Desert_Eagle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1343
Turkey

Burak Posted at 2017-9-14 02:17
You know what, I also think this way. I felt more confident than ever with these costs.

I already got 3 batteries which are enough for me. Even done properly with a proper glue, I would still not be  100% sure that the geommetry of the craft and propellers were correct thus maybe using more battery than designed. Or flight might be effected resulting in very slightly blurry video.

Mrhb Burak Bey  öncelikle geçmiş olsun... Sanırım yerel tamircide tamir ettirdiniz.Neresi olduğunu öğrenebilirmiyim?.  Bu arada you tube da sizinki bir hasarın tamirini izlemiştim.Görünce aklıma geldi önce kırık yeri tamamen koparıp temizledi sonra japan sürdü ardından bir lehim makinasıyla plastik eritip parçayı tuturdu .Youtube da aratabilirsiniz.Fikriniz olur en azından.
2017-9-14 03:18:25
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
United Kingdom

UPDATE:
Received my fixed Spark today and its completely brand new. Flies perfect. Everything done in 5-6 days.

Refleks (Providyo) was the only official DJI Repair Partner in Turkey and they have fixed mine.

Great!
3 days ago
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next