Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crashed Spark and Broken Motor Arm, what now?
24014 35 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49731 ft
United States

Hi everybody. A former Mavic Pro and a new Spark user here.
I was trying dronie mode but lost RC signal and before I could interfere and stop the dronie (because somehow the app didn't allow me to change the distance to something smaller than 40m) my little spark has crashed into the trees and fell down. I was quite confident that I would get away with a few scratches but saw that one of the motor arms was broken.
Didn't try to fly it again, this was a huge bummer for me.

I had not purchased DJI Care Refresh and right now I don't know what to do.
Can anybody suggest anything? I'm living in Turkey and we don't have official repair centers here. I can send it to US but then again, I have no idea on how I should proceed.

If the spare body frame is sold, I can do it myself, too but I couldn't find it anywhere online.
(Photos are attached)
Cheers for any suggestions.
spark2.jpg
spark1.jpg
spark3.jpg
2017-9-11
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check with this guy, he has Spark parts. I'm just not sure if he can ship to Germany, wouldn't hurt to ask him.
Tel (678) 763-4427
Thunderdrones@aol.com
2017-9-11
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101220 ft
Canada

I would be tempted to try glue on this (thick gel type CA or Epoxy) - another option would be get a quote from DJI on replacing the body (by opening support ticket)
2017-9-11
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

As long as the wires are still attached, glue it with JB Weld.
xxxjg.jpg
2017-9-11
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488192 ft
United States

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-11 13:06
I would be tempted to try glue on this (thick gel type CA or Epoxy) - another option would be get a quote from DJI on replacing the body (by opening support ticket)

I had the same type of damage after a recent crash.  DJI Repair - $168.  
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

I would recommend you send the drone in for diagnosis and repair, please contact the Support, they'll start a case for you and tell you how to send it in. Here is a link for your reference.
http://www.dji.com/support  
2017-9-11
Use props
SeanGillian
lvl.2
United States

I had same arm broken (worse then your, it was hanging by the motor wire) $107 was repaired bill
2017-9-11
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Send it in for repair.  IMO
2017-9-11
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
United States

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your opinions with me.
What I thought yesterday was 4 options:
1) Repair it with a glue
2) DIY replacement with spare parts
3) Send it to DJI repair center in Netherlands
4) Send it to authorized repair center in my own country

I hate to see makeshift solutions and can not trust them, I also was not confident in replacing the body on my own (a very bad previous experience with an iPhone 4S). So I immediately skipped first two options.
I have opened up a ticket to DJI service but I was afraid to ship the drone and then see an astronomical repair bill. Spark is not like Mavic, the part costs are not available on the web site so I was scared.
I know that each and every damage is unique but still, I was too afraid to ship it and then see a 300$ bill waiting for me.

The drone is currently fully functional, even with the gesture mode, it woks as it should.

I have reached out to my local DJI authorized repair center and got a quote which I can work with. Sending it today and hope to see it repaired in 3 days.

Will share my experience and costs with you.
2017-9-11
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Burak Posted at 2017-9-11 22:56
1) Repair it with a glue

a repair is only makeshift if you don't use a good glue and/or do a bad job.

the repair is a "no brainier" if done right.

save you repair money to buy some extra batteries.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Burak Posted at 2017-9-11 22:56
1) Repair it with a glue

Glad you send your spark to the local DJI authorized repair center and hope you can get your drone back soon. If you encounter any problem with the case, please feel free to contact us.
2017-9-12
Use props
fans552e670b
lvl.2
United States

DronerX Posted at 2017-9-11 18:42
I had the same type of damage after a recent crash.  DJI Repair - $168.

Mine was under $100, and included a motor and a top along with a new frame (US price).
2017-9-12
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101220 ft
Canada

$100 seems like a pretty fair price for the parts and labour to get DJI to do it
2017-9-12
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
France

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-12 13:12
$100 seems like a pretty fair price for the parts and labour to get DJI to do it

You know what, I also think this way. I felt more confident than ever with these costs.

I already got 3 batteries which are enough for me. Even done properly with a proper glue, I would still not be  100% sure that the geommetry of the craft and propellers were correct thus maybe using more battery than designed. Or flight might be effected resulting in very slightly blurry video.

These kind of stuff makes me stop loving my drone. So I chose this path. I am working for 3M, a worldwide known adhesives (and more) company and trust me I have access to some of the highest quality glues that exist. Still, this way I would be more happy as long as the price is right.
2017-9-14
Use props
Desert_Eagle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4406 ft
Turkey

Burak Posted at 2017-9-14 02:17
You know what, I also think this way. I felt more confident than ever with these costs.

I already got 3 batteries which are enough for me. Even done properly with a proper glue, I would still not be  100% sure that the geommetry of the craft and propellers were correct thus maybe using more battery than designed. Or flight might be effected resulting in very slightly blurry video.

Mrhb Burak Bey  öncelikle geçmiş olsun... Sanırım yerel tamircide tamir ettirdiniz.Neresi olduğunu öğrenebilirmiyim?.  Bu arada you tube da sizinki bir hasarın tamirini izlemiştim.Görünce aklıma geldi önce kırık yeri tamamen koparıp temizledi sonra japan sürdü ardından bir lehim makinasıyla plastik eritip parçayı tuturdu .Youtube da aratabilirsiniz.Fikriniz olur en azından.
2017-9-14
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
United States

UPDATE:
Received my fixed Spark today and its completely brand new. Flies perfect. Everything done in 5-6 days.

Refleks (Providyo) was the only official DJI Repair Partner in Turkey and they have fixed mine.

Great!
2017-9-19
Use props
fans4bc05737
New

Belgium

Happy to read it al worked out fine!
How much did u have to pay? I guess they Just replaced the body of your spark?
2017-12-10
Use props
CyberC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75161 ft
Turkey

Burak Posted at 2017-9-19 07:22
UPDATE:
Received my fixed Spark today and its completely brand new. Flies perfect. Everything done in 5-6 days.

Hi Burak,

Had the same problem with slightly more damage :-( One arm completely broke off (hanging by the wire) while the opposite corner of the cover has popped out of place. Thanks for the name of the repair partner because I was seriously thinking of buying a new one rather than go through the expense of shipping the broken one out out TR for repairs. I will visit the store tomorrow but I wanted to ask you, did they replace the body? and how much did it cost after all?

Cheers
2017-12-10
Use props
fans6489d9b5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 934626 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to buy a spark
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans6489d9b5 Posted at 2017-12-14 13:48
Wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to buy a spark

Why not most flying happy?
2017-12-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That’s not good - try sending it to the nearest DJI support centre (prob NL) - they may be able to repair it or offer a discount off a new one unless covered by the warranty.
2017-12-14
Use props
ryanharrison
lvl.2
United States

SeanGillian Posted at 2017-9-11 19:01
I had same arm broken (worse then your, it was hanging by the motor wire) $107 was repaired bill

did you have care refresh? I have the exact same case as you...i dont have care refresh
2018-1-6
Use props
sparktran
lvl.1
Australia

hi everybody !... I had same problem !... I live in australia anyone know where I can send to repair Please
2018-1-14
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380121 ft
Canada

The frame can be purchased as a spare part from DJI for around 30$ USD shipped, if you can find a local repair center then you are golden.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Middle- ... :g:JR4AAOSwiYVaMiDj

The main frame comes with the wires already in place, but motors need to be re soldered. I fixed a recently acquired spark with these parts and it was a flawless repair, it's not my first drone repair so keep that in mind when opening these little devices.
1. Voids warranty
2. May damage other currently perfect components, ie motherboard, connectors, wiring.
3. Acquire the basic tools: small tweezers, hex screwdrivers, torx screwdrivers, plastic pliers, clippers, thermal paste, sealant.

DJI does not recommend self repair, but the parts are readily available.
2018-3-5
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

Carbon fiber middle frames would be selling like hot cakes
2018-3-5
Use props
K3V1NX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66306 ft
United Kingdom

DJI spark one week old was thinking this is great started slow then after a couple of days started using spirt mode hit a tree full arm broke clean off from main body £500 would have thought it would have been more sturdy !
Really disappointed and gutted
2018-6-4
Use props
djiuser_OFzcmMZsCMuO
New

Turkey

Hi Burak

I have just bought my dji spark and I was happy to fly it for the first time but when I use it indoor I made the mistake of  flying directly to the wall it fell and the same thing happened to me as yours .I used a special glue but later the drone got crazy flying low and thanks God it stopped on the grass.I need to send it to a repair center in istanbul ...can you tell me how you solve that problem and which repair service did repair your drone and how much.. ...am tv reporter myself but ı starting to vblog and the spark was to shot B-roll videos besides my panasonic fz2500 and jvc hm170 4k cam.

.thanks in advance...şevki  here is my phone 05050604490...

2018-7-4
Use props
djiuser_OFzcmMZsCMuO
New

Turkey

djiuser_OFzcmMZsCMuO Posted at 2018-7-4 09:02
Hi Burak

I have just bought my dji spark and I was happy to fly it for the first time but when I use it indoor I made the mistake of  flying directly to the wall it fell and the same thing happened to me as yours .I used a special glue but later the drone got crazy flying low and thanks God it stopped on the grass.I need to send it to a repair center in istanbul ...can you tell me how you solve that problem and which repair service did repair your drone and how much.. ...am tv reporter myself but ı starting to vblog and the spark was to shot B-roll videos besides my panasonic fz2500 and jvc hm170 4k cam.

I just asked a repair center the guy told me 160 usd  realy crazy thing  from aliexpress the body to turkey is only 20 usd iw ill do it myself i already bought it 500 usd
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

K3V1NX Posted at 2018-6-4 14:29
DJI spark one week old was thinking this is great started slow then after a couple of days started using spirt mode hit a tree full arm broke clean off from main body £500 would have thought it would have been more sturdy !
Really disappointed and gutted

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I would suggest syncing your flight records and contact our team through email at support@dji.com
2018-7-4
Use props
hz10
lvl.1

United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-9-11 13:37

The Spark flies fine after gluing the broken arm, but the Gimbal gyroscope error remains.
2019-4-14
Use props
BKelley1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8084846 ft
United States

If I were you guys, I would just buy a new frame on eBay or something like that. (Like what Linuxglobal said)
https://www.ebay.com/p/Original- ... 82?iid=253311947035

Because trying to fix up the existing mid-frame with Epoxy is good and all, But it's not as structurally sound as it used to be. So it's better just to buy a new mid-frame and transfer all of the parts from the old frame to the new frame.
2019-4-15
Use props
hz10
lvl.1

United States

BKelley1 Posted at 4-15 10:47
If I were you guys, I would just buy a new frame on eBay or something like that. (Like what Linuxglobal said)
https://www.ebay.com/p/Original-Middle-Frame-Body-Shell-Cover-Case-Repair-Parts-for-DJI-Spark-Drone-RC/2251043582?iid=253311947035

Yes, I ordered a middle frame while gluing the broken arm.   I did not have the time to wait for it or send the Spark for repair because I needed to take a video soon, and I did.   Now, I need to deal with the gimbal gyroscope error one way or another. Though it flies fine, and can record video and take pictures, but  active track is almost impossible now.
2019-4-16
Use props
sparkdrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9593 ft
United States

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-11 13:06
I would be tempted to try glue on this (thick gel type CA or Epoxy) - another option would be get a quote from DJI on replacing the body (by opening support ticket)

Do not use glue!!! When the motor turns it creates vibrations that weaken any type of glue. Your drone could then fall apart in midair.
2019-6-3
Use props
sparkdrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9593 ft
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-9-11 13:37

Glue is not the best idea: see post #33
2019-6-3
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Nothing ever happened to Sylvester, but I bought DJI Care for Phoebe.
2019-6-4
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_OFzcmMZsCMuO Posted at 2018-7-4 10:04
I just asked a repair center the guy told me 160 usd  realy crazy thing  from aliexpress the body to turkey is only 20 usd iw ill do it myself i already bought it 500 usd

I wouldn't. And I think $160 is not too bad of a price to pay.
It wouldn't be wise to consider only the part's price. You'll need special tools, some consumables, are going to be taking a lot of risk (of breaking the electronics) AND most importantly, experience in working with delicate electronics. I am not sure about you but the average consumer lacks almost all of those necessities before taking on a DIY repair job on a drone

I know I sound like the devil's advocate but again, $160 is a good price.
2020-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules