Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Interesting read about DJI
96 7 2017-9-11 11:53:40
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rya ... naire/#7802f9a5b48f
2017-9-11 11:53:40
Use props
Montfrooij
Second Officer
Netherlands

Interesting share!
2017-9-11 12:08:54
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The story is actually quite old. At the end it talks about how 3D Robotics and GoPro are mounting challenges to DJI's market dominance, yet today, 3D Robotics is all but broke and GoPro's Karma is all but forgotten. DJI, on the other hand, goes from strength to strength.
2017-9-11 15:02:09
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

yes an old story but interesting
2017-9-11 15:05:29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 50323
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-11 15:02
The story is actually quite old. At the end it talks about how 3D Robotics and GoPro are mounting challenges to DJI's market dominance, yet today, 3D Robotics is all but broke and GoPro's Karma is all but forgotten. DJI, on the other hand, goes from strength to strength.

Yeah, we read that long ago, when it first was published and then uploaded to the web.

Frank is certainly photogenic. Makes a swell portrait. His parents must be proud...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-11 16:15:58
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
Student Pilot
United States

In a world of obsessive control and lust for power, the average man, woman and child now has an equal opportunity to share the lower skies.  I know this puts nations' governments in a confused position whereas previously, you had to be a certified pilot and have money to burn to use any such space above the pavement.  I think the DJI revolution (thats what I call it) is forcing the government to balance "control" of the airspace with the profitability of corporations that are all joining the quadcopter industry.  It will be interesting in the years to come to see how this balance of control and power plays out, specifically as since politicians can't afford campaigns without such corporations stuffing money in their pockets.  Great story.
I'm just waiting for DJI or some other company to start mass producing quadcycles for us to ride above the traffic congested streets.
2017-9-11 16:33:40
Use props
Genghis9
Intern Pilot
United States

May be an old article but it helps explain a lot about DJI and how they behave.
The title says a lot too, and I do not think they chose that title lightly either.  "Bow To Your Billionaire Drone Overlord..."
A couple of quotes from the article to illustrate more:
"...made-in-China products are inferior.
We're always second class," he says. "I'm unsatisfied with the overall environment, and I want to do something to change it," he adds."
"China has money, but its products are terrible, its service is terrible, and you have to pay a hefty price for anything that's good."

He knows it, he is king but right now only king of a deeply flawed kingdom (i.e. substandard plastic shells), and however, to his credit he is working tirelessly to resolve it.  However, I would not describe this person as a benevolent dictator either.

I know nearly all tycoons are ruthless in their approach to business and markets as well as market share.  However, I think ole Frank is a bit or a lot arrogant about his position.  While he has standing to be arrogantly proud, one still must consider, does his attitude permeate through his company as a cultural phenome.  It does seem that he recognizes the challenges he faces such as programing and software.  However, it is unavoidable to not consider that some of the SW issues are self-inflicted in order to maintain a VERY big brother approach to controlling his product line, even when they are not their products anymore i.e. the rapid response effort at putting central DC off limits after an idiot did what he should not have.  I know some will argue that he was only protecting his brand.  Sorry that really does not fly.  How many companies out there develop user/owner restrictions to a product you fully own as your property after the fact and that you did not purchase in advance with those restrictions.  Short of examples like MS who sends out security updates to prevent hacking and similar actions, there are few to none that does it in that way on that level.  Frank talks about keeping up with the challenges of the rapid changes and problems but some of those errors appear to be self-made for reasons of control.  The axiom the harder you squeeze the more you will lose comes to mind.  
  Admittedly, DJI is on track to be the king of RC UAVs for some time to come, not unlike MS, Apple, Dell, Google...eventually though one day a MS comes along to DJI's IBM...but I think you will be waiting awhile before you see that happen.  At the very least, I would like to see a cultural shift in the company.  Where they realize that once they have sold their product to a customer they no longer own it, and therefore they cannot go changing the goal post as to the capabilities they sold that customer at the time of sale...that to me is a FAIL & a FOUL!

2017-9-11 18:43:47
Use props
quadpilot
Student Pilot
United Kingdom

yes very well put i agree totally in what you say

2017-9-12 03:47:43
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next