Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey all,

I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or have this info get lost in the big thread of (like 800,000) posts regarding the 3 month old Firmware/Software saga.  I also don't know if someone already commented on this workaround since I don't have enough time in the year to read every post in that thread.

I flew today and tested a workaround that 100% fixed the video transmission issue and the overheating of my iPad Mini 2 that was introduced with the latest software update to DJIGO4.

The simple workaround has made it possible for me to once again fly my P4P and P4 with DJIGO4 on my iPad Mini2.
--> 100% repeatable and super simple solution <--

So here goes the workaround....

1) Turn off video caching (in DJIGO4) on your iPad.  That's it.
In other words, don't try to have the iPad record the video stream it is receiving.  Just let the P4/P4P onboard video card record.  I pretty much NEVER used the cached video anyway, so this is only a small inconvenience.  But it is a HUGE convenience to be able to fly again.

The result, not ONE single green or black bar during nearly two hours of flying... NOT... ONE... LITERALLY... Not ONE!  Not one single Video Transmission error, and the iPad Mini 2 barely even got warm after draining five P4 and P4P batteries.

After that result, I decided to do a test and turned on Video Caching for my final flight.  BLAM, black bars, green bars, and within a few minutes of flying the iPad Mini 2 once again overheated.  So I landed, gave the iPad a few minutes to cool off, turned off video caching, flew again and NO PROBLEMS.

Hopefully this is "New News" and hopefully this helps those of you who have these problems.

2017-9-11
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

OK so now I just figured out that selecting video (& audio) caching in the app means recording the video stream on to your mobile device.  Thank you for your pointer, I'll be looking to see if it helps, I'm sure it will.
Can you assist further?  Is there anything anywhere that provides detailed explanations and definitions about this apps menus and menu items?  I would really like to see it.
Thanks
2017-9-11
Use props
ANKO MG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12372 ft
Spain

Hola, a mi me dice cuando quiero cerrar el almacenamiento de vídeo que dji go4 es para una versión más antigua de Android y puede dejar  de funcionar como avitualmente
2017-9-12
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82900 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing Matt! I am going to go outside and try this right away..... as soon as our fog lifts off of the mountain. Two days straight now!
2017-9-12
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting - I have always switched that off, since Go 3, because it's mostly pointless processing (and wastes storage on the device)
I've also never had a problem with any updates on P3S, P3A, P4 and P4P
2017-9-12
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wow...  I had an awesome gig today.  Flew through seven batteries, up to 3200 feet away and did not see a single green or black bar...  no video transmission problems, no overheating ipad
2017-9-12
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i dont know if the P4P has this feature or not, i imagine it would...  but i was told by someone on the mavic side of the forums to switch from .MP4 to .MOV  with iPad mini 2 and the cache will use .MOV again as well which is native and easier on the iPad decoder/encoder.  i haven't tried it out myself yet but it makes some sense..   maybe?  going to try it in little while..i know myself disabling cache and clearing it has helped me out as well form micro stalls..

i have Litchi as well, i disabled hardware acceleration on my iPad mini 2 in litch with it connected to my mavic pro.. then closed litchi and opened dji go 4 and i noticed that even less input lag between camera processing and the video stream, like going from 1/4 second to 1/8th second.  

not sure why disabling hardware acceleration would work, i do know from reading used to be a glitch with Dji go 4 app and the Apple A7 cpus..  off = on and on = off was the theory people came up with..   maybe the glitch has returned...and given how much smoother it is, it seems its probably the case again..
2017-9-12
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
United States

Well, this did not work for me. I had green and black bars from the beginning of my flight, and the ipad mini2 locked up after 11 minutes of flight.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

May not work in all cases but a strong point in thinking outside of the box. Good work.
2017-9-15
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-15 14:23
May not work in all cases but a strong point in thinking outside of the box. Good work.

...then maybe it would be best if DJI fixed it for everyone, instead of others having to claw their way out of the box to find a solution to DJI's update et al...
2017-9-15
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blue Ridge Big  Posted at 2017-9-15 14:20
Well, this did not work for me. I had green and black bars from the beginning of my flight, and the ipad mini2 locked up after 11 minutes of flight.

Hi Blue Ridge...  
so I understand correctly, you turned off video caching on your iPad mini 2 and it didn't help?  IN addition, your iPad overheated after 11 minutes?

Can you double-check that the video cache is definitely turned off?
Have you tried turning off hardware accelleration?
Have you tried recording with .MOV instead of .mp4?

For me, having the video cache turned off is like using an entirely new system.  With the caching on, nothing but video transmission issues, with it off I can fly for hours and not see a single black or green bar.

This issue never, ever existed prior to the latest sw/fw updates.  It is such a dramatic difference for me, and so repeatable, that I imagined many in this forum would see the same result.

2017-9-16
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-15 14:49
...then maybe it would be best if DJI fixed it for everyone, instead of others having to claw their way out of the box to find a solution to DJI's update et al...

Genghis... did you try turning off the Video Caching?
2017-9-16
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-16 01:40
Genghis... did you try turning off the Video Caching?

I will as soon as I get my bird returned to me this week...thanks
I'll explain my rather embarrassing saga in a thread soon...
2017-9-16
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Thanks for the info, I really apprecaite it.
2017-9-16
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Thanks Mabou

Everything to try is welcome.
This might help for trouble with overheating devices but as this has been turned of on my system for a long time i can report that it has not helped curing the Video transmission or disconnects.

Most flights done in area without anything to disturb transmission, but some times i have fallout before i reach 200m, other times i can get to 1000m, think my "record" is 1600m but then it started to be unstable and when turned around connection was lost until back at 600m.
2017-9-16
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KEDDK Posted at 2017-9-16 02:20
Thanks Mabou

Hi KEDDK...

Dang, I was REALLY hoping this would help everyone.  
Have you turned off Hardware Acceleration?
Have you changed your recording format to .mov (instead of mp4?)

Thanks for the feedback KEDDK
2017-9-16
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-16 02:06

Uh Oh... I'm looking forward to reading what you got yourself into Genghis.  Hopefully it isn't horrible for you though.
2017-9-16
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-16 02:32
Uh Oh... I'm looking forward to reading what you got yourself into Genghis.  Hopefully it isn't horrible for you though.

only for my pride
not sure it will be that interesting to the experienced crowd but may be helpful for the noobs
2017-9-16
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

KEDDK Posted at 2017-9-16 02:20
Thanks Mabou

Hmmm Interesting....I try to push my drone to new levels but recently I havent hopefully this weekend I will be able to and see.
2017-9-16
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Denmark

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-16 02:31
Hi KEDDK...

Dang, I was REALLY hoping this would help everyone.  

Recording format have been changed also to/from .264/.265 but i have not checked if the format changed my range.
As being the unlucky owner of a minus RC (+) i have not looked for any accelerator settings, that's why i only commented on the range not any overheating. ;-)
2017-9-16
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Denmark

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-9-16 03:40
Hmmm Interesting....I try to push my drone to new levels but recently I havent hopefully this weekend I will be able to and see.

Lets hear how it turns out, but please take care up there.

I have noticed that range is better when being behind AC (P4P), when on a distance the dropouts start when turning. Sometimes it is just a short videofeed fallout, sometimes all connection get lost.

Under all circumstances i am very far from the advertised 3,5km for CE,,, guess i could have saved expenses for a laser eye improvement ...
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-16 02:06

Actually, it is helpful to provide information on the forum. You never know what solution will come through. We appreciate your time.
2017-9-16
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am SO curious as to why this workaround is such a paradigm shift for me, but so far not for others.  I flew again this morning.  1 full hour of flight time, sending the bird out maybe about a thousand feet.  Not a single video transmission error, black bar, green bar, etc.  No lag whatsoever.  It is flummoxing that this fix is so 100% repeatable in my setup, but others aren't seeing the same benefit.  That said... this morning I DID see the "Warning: Mobile Device CPU Fully Loaded" dialog when I first took off...
2017-9-16
Use props
rickmorris
New
United States

Hope you are right.  The last time I did this it would only record for about :40 then cut out but I'll try it again.  The people in service have no clue about this problem and claim there isn't one.  They have replace my unit twice and I replace my iOs and still have the problems
2017-9-16
Use props
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never had transmission problems and always had cashing turned off. probably right.
2017-9-16
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The original reason that I did this test was that I had moved over to Litchi (since DJIGO4 had my iPad overheating and never ending video transmission issues).  In Litchi, the default is to have the video cache turned off.  When I went to turn it on, I got a warning from Litchi that it might cause performance problems with my mobile device.  This made me thing about the default on DJIGO4, which is to have Video cache turned on.

I had an AHA moment about DJIGO4, gave it a try without video caching and everything has been great (in regard to this problem disappearing) ever since.
2017-9-18
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-16 01:36
Hi Blue Ridge...  
so I understand correctly, you turned off video caching on your iPad mini 2 and it didn't help?  IN addition, your iPad overheated after 11 minutes?

Hey Mabou2,
Yes, you are correct, this did not help. Looking at my equipment right now, and the video cache is turned off, and I always record as a .mov file. I am also currently shooting at 1080p, 30fps. I lost control of my ipad at 11 minutes in to the flight. It would not respond to any commands, and it even randomly brings up other apps. At that point I have to unplug it from the RC, and bring my aircraft down the old fashioned way.

Where do I go to turn off hardware acceleration? I would like to try that.
2017-9-18
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blue Ridge Big  Posted at 2017-9-18 06:45
Hey Mabou2,
Yes, you are correct, this did not help. Looking at my equipment right now, and the video cache is turned off, and I always record as a .mov file. I am also currently shooting at 1080p, 30fps. I lost control of my ipad at 11 minutes in to the flight. It would not respond to any commands, and it even randomly brings up other apps. At that point I have to unplug it from the RC, and bring my aircraft down the old fashioned way.

Blue Ridge...

Just for the sake of clarification...  you said you "lost control... would not respond to any commands".  Are you specifically referring to your iPad becoming non functioning or the RC connection to the bird?

When you say you lost control, do you mean that you completely lost control of the drone or that you only lost the video transmission?
Regarding shutting off the hardware accelleration... I don't recall which direction to point you.  (and I am not in the vicinity of my iPad and drone)

2017-9-18
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-18 07:28
Blue Ridge...

Just for the sake of clarification...  you said you "lost control... would not respond to any commands".  Are you specifically referring to your iPad becoming non functioning or the RC connection to the bird?

I am specifically referring to the ipad only.
The rc still flies the bird just fine.
2017-9-18
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-18 07:28
Blue Ridge...

I lost control of the ipad only.
The RC will still fly the drone, and I can still shoot video and take pictures.
2017-9-18
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blue Ridge Big  Posted at 2017-9-18 08:11
I lost control of the ipad only.
The RC will still fly the drone, and I can still shoot video and take pictures.

Did you happen to notice that your iPad was screaming hot when you lost control of it?
2017-9-18
Use props
Fly_Safe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2557566 ft
Switzerland

Hi together,

turning off video caching dosen´t works for me. :-(

I switched off the video storage on the iPad.
But after some minutes green fragments appears.
I was taking a movie with 4k 50fps
iPad was in flight modus (wlan and cellular off)
50% free capacity on the iPad
But … some Apps were open in the background - not sure if this had an influence.

I have the feeling that this really depends which battery I fly. I have 5 of them.
In case something happen like this - I normally restart everything from the beginning...
Means close the APP, close also all background APP´s,  de- / connect the lightning cable, Restart RC and Kopter, then the APP
This works for me …. sometimes

Using
* P4P
* Copter firmware: 01.04.0602
* Controller software: 01.04.01.00
* Databases of copter and App: 01.00.01.05
* App: 4.1.9
* iPad 4 mini, 128 GB cellular, IOS 10.3.3
* Short cable connection from RC to iPad
2017-9-18
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-18 08:20
Did you happen to notice that your iPad was screaming hot when you lost control of it?

Yes, the iPad was extremely hot.
I have noticed under general settings on my iPad that "Background App refresh" was turned on, with all of the apps selected to refresh in the background. I am turning this off now, and going to try again.
2017-9-18
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blue Ridge Big  Posted at 2017-9-15 14:20

The Mini2 is not up to spec, so this fix may or may not work for you. Try a Mini4 if you can get your hands on one. The Mini2/3, are practically bare minimums for running Go4.
2017-9-18
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting this. I assumed this was commonly known, but it apparently is not.
2017-9-18
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blue Ridge Big  Posted at 2017-9-18 09:30
Yes, the iPad was extremely hot.
I have noticed under general settings on my iPad that "Background App refresh" was turned on, with all of the apps selected to refresh in the background. I am turning this off now, and going to try again.

Hi BRB...  I personally believe that the iPad overheating IS directly connected to the video transmission problems.  When I run my iPhone 7 plus with DJIGO4, it also overheats after the latest updates.  When I run Litchi, no video transmission problems at all (no overheating either).  When I run DJIGo4 with video caching turned off, same thing.  Runs cool for hours and no video issues.
2017-9-19
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
United States

So last night I tried turning off the "Background App refresh" and I went about 5 minutes in the air before the iPad locked up.
Still trying to figure out where to go to turn off hardware acceleration.
2017-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules