New props...How much noise reduction on MP?
1392 16 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SadMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91132 ft
United States

I've been trying to find any data but have been unable.  DJI says the new Props reduce noise on the older Mavic but for some odd reason they don't say how much.  Im sure they've had to have tested it.  I'm wondering if the new props deliver most of the noise reduction on the Platinum with the new ESC only contributing slightly.  I mean DJI really won't come out and say it if the new props alone deliver 3 out of the 4 db reduction cause that would kill the Platinum hype.  Anyone have any info?  Why the ambiguity?  
2017-9-11
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Is almost 100% sure it's the props that will deliver the entire noise reduction. But time will show.

I'm glad DJI now knows the way to silence their other models too !!!   

Regards Leif.
2017-9-11
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am glad you pointed it out. I am sure they are told from marketing (and higher powers) to keep it (ironically) hush-hush so they can create the hype for the Mavic Platinum.
No one from DJI has demo'd a video with a mavic pro with platinum props. All the demo vids show the crafts next to each other but never do they try to swap the props.
I think Dr Turbo (DJI Propulsion) on the RC forums has stated that the Platinum props has a 50% improvement on the Mavic Pro.
2017-9-11
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

I thought I seen something on the forum the other day that it was up to 60% noise reduction but I would like to know if that is true
2017-9-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-9-11 22:46
Is almost 100% sure it's the props that will deliver the entire noise reduction. But time will show.

I'm glad DJI now knows the way to silence their other models too !!!   

I agree about the props being 100 % of the noise reduction, as far as the new ESC goes I've never been able to "hear" electricity flowing thru wires. I have a pure sine wave inverter and a regular cheap inverter and they sound the same.....
2017-9-12
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-12 02:40
I agree about the props being 100 % of the noise reduction, as far as the new ESC goes I've never been able to "hear" electricity flowing thru wires. I have a pure sine wave inverter and a regular cheap inverter and they sound the same.....

ESC might have more of an impact than you think, I work with machine tools, we have three phase and single phase motors, the single phase ones (actually they're two phase, the second being created by a 90° shift via a condenser) are always noisier the the three phase ones so I can imagine that running a motor on a square wave pattern rather than a pure sine one will have some impact in term of micro vibrations which lead to noise.
2017-9-12
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Yea the ESC creates that loud high pitch electric buzz sound (so hard to describe it). You can definitely hear the difference on
2017-9-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-12 06:36
ESC might have more of an impact than you think, I work with machine tools, we have three phase and single phase motors, the single phase ones (actually they're two phase, the second being created by a 90° shift via a condenser) are always noisier the the three phase ones so I can imagine that running a motor on a square wave pattern rather than a pure sine one will have some impact in term of micro vibrations which lead to noise.

You have a point about esc in general but were talking about this little quad, the only noise you can hear coming from the mavic pro is fan noise. 99 % of the noise coming from a quad while in flight is prop noise, doesn't matter what it has in it for an electronic speed controller. I think dji is just trying to justify the higher price. The mavic platinum is the most un-exciting upgrade I've ever seen....
2017-9-12
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-9-12 06:57
Yea the ESC creates that loud high pitch electric buzz sound (so hard to describe it). You can definitely hear the difference on https://youtu.be/PWtX785H33A

Too short on the old Mavic...couldn't hear a diff....
2017-9-12
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

I didn't hear much of a difference either. Good news that they didn't obsolete my MP!
2017-9-12
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-12 06:36

exactly.. ESC will have a large impact on noise thanks to use of sinewaves instead of square waves and shifting each phase out by 180 degrees  from opposing sides will act as a crude noise canceling effect.  

i think the new winglet props will help with noise cut down on the air chopping a bit, but mostly going to give us a little bit better battery life.. 1-3 minutes is possible with the right tuning.  
2017-9-12
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

The new props must have altered the frequency of the sound some. When I played the above video, while the Platinum was flying, my dogs didn't move a muscle. As soon as the props started on the MP, both jumped up, stared at my PC screen and whined.
2017-9-12
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-9-12 12:42
The new props must have altered the frequency of the sound some. When I played the above video, while the Platinum was flying, my dogs didn't move a muscle. As soon as the props started on the MP, both jumped up, stared at my PC screen and whined.

Perhaps DJI should market that the new Platinum is more dog friendly!
2017-9-12
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-12 07:01
You have a point about esc in general but were talking about this little quad, the only noise you can hear coming from the mavic pro is fan noise. 99 % of the noise coming from a quad while in flight is prop noise, doesn't matter what it has in it for an electronic speed controller. I think dji is just trying to justify the higher price. The mavic platinum is the most un-exciting upgrade I've ever seen....

Except for possibly the iPhone 8.
2017-9-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The initial launch touted increased stability due to the new ESC drivers allowing more fine control.  People seem to forget this.  This is most likely the only effect of them as opposed to noise reduction.  Ultimately noise is almost entirely prop on the mavic.  The props aren't variable pitch so noise is directly related to RPM.  

Also don't forget the 4db saving was only for certain parts of flight - specifically takeoff and landing.  Its not an overall general saving.
2017-9-12
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-9-12 12:42

Yea they should lower it so the tips aren't hitting Mach. The tip bends back like that so it'll effectively be going same speed as farther in on the prop root.

DJI say 4db but that's electronically measured. New Platinum is probably quite to the ear than those numbers. It's the same with rifles & silencers. Decibels don't mean much. Tone does.
2017-9-13
Use props
DJIU+1F44D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 967267 ft
United States

I would bet the new DJI props will be noticeable quieter, I put Bower carbon fiber blades on mine and yes there is a different tone which seems to a softer sound.   
2017-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules