spark decal sticker kits!
3249 25 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

EDITED - user error!  everything fits well except around the motor or the back of the battery.  it bunches in those places.

just thought i'd give you guys the heads up.  these sticker kits don't fit well at all.  the slots in the battery don't even let the release slide all the way forward or back.  the fit of the stickers are terrible and the look is horrible.  since all the manufacturers list the same patterns, i assume they are all the same quality.  i was just trying to get something to make my spark more visible from the ground, so friends and family can spot me easily.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Thankd for the heads up.  I too would like to get a nice wrap that would make my spark unique and move visible.  Maybe there are people on here that have had more success with wraps that actually fit well.
2017-9-12
Use props
fans552e670b
lvl.2
United States

I would check out DecalGirl.com. https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/dji-spark-skins

I have worked with them in the past on some custom skins for a project I did for a client. High quality stuff, and a great bunch of folks too. I have no relationship with them, and have not made a Spark skin, but based on my prior experiences with them I think they are worth checking out. Cheers.
2017-9-12
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

decal girl is who i bought from.  they don't fit well.
2017-9-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

WickedWingman Posted at 2017-9-12 06:33

Thanks for the warning!
2017-9-12
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Mine came from Decal Girl and I have no trouble with their fit.
2017-9-12
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never use Decals as I love the DJI look, but when I bought the Spark I started looking around and watching YouTube videos of people applying the Spark Decals.  I didn't buy any as I too thought that they seemed to be a terrible fit.  I guess people that bought and fitted them usually would try and justify the purchase by saying they are ok, but if they inspected carefully, they would see the flaws in the actual fitting.
2017-9-12
Use props
ThirdEyeFlyin'
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162444 ft
Canada

Mine is from decal girl. Fast shipping, great selection, fits fine with proper attention.
2017-9-12
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

WickedWingman Posted at 2017-9-12 06:33

Weird, mine are from her and they fit perfectly. Maybe you just got one that slipped a bit in the machine or something. I bet she'll exchange them if you asked.
2017-9-12
Use props
Jr 5542
lvl.3
United States

Thats good to know.Thanks for the heads up.
2017-9-12
Use props
tonicboy
lvl.1
Indonesia

I haven't used a decal kit for the Spark but have used similar things for other products and they can definitely be tricky to fit right.  Sometimes it takes several tries.  But in any case, I think it's a little unfair to generalize the problems you had with that specific decal kit to all manufacturers.  Just like you shouldn't get a bad phone case and say that all phone cases suck.
2017-9-12
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

I explained my generalization. All manufacturers I have found (until last night) had the same names for their skins. Last night I noticed that the dji website had some listed that were different. Maybe those are fine.

I've used skins before on other projects. I know how a good fitting skin works. Yes, it takes time and patience, but all the functions all work when you're done. Not the case here.
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

WickedWingman Posted at 2017-9-13 01:34
I explained my generalization. All manufacturers I have found (until last night) had the same names for their skins. Last night I noticed that the dji website had some listed that were different. Maybe those are fine.

I've used skins before on other projects. I know how a good fitting skin works. Yes, it takes time and patience, but all the functions all work when you're done. Not the case here.

I agreed with you. The skin is really attractive and it needs patience to complete the work.
2017-9-13
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

I have decal girl on all my drones and they fit perfectly. They do require extreme care when applying.
20170913_110805.jpg
20170913_110817.jpg
20170913_110813.jpg
2017-9-13
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

can you give me a closeup pic of the battery on your spark?  that's where i started.  after i realized that aligning the battery release slot wouldn't let me align to the led indicators, i didn't bother with the rest.  i wasn't going to waste time on the rest if i couldn't even get the smallest decal on right.
2017-9-13
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

sorry, the bottom pads, not the led indicators
2017-9-13
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

i'm going to give it another go tonight.  maybe i'll just skip the battery.  i hope not.  i ordered enough for all my spares.
2017-9-13
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

Here they are. I aligned the battery decal starting with gold 4 square contact pad. Once that was aligned, I worked each side down to the eject button.
20170913_163655.jpg
20170913_163714.jpg
20170913_163616.jpg
2017-9-13
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

i'm officially retracting all my above statements.  i just successfully installed the battery sticker.  i don't know what my problem was last time, but it fits fine now.

if a moderator is capable of removing this thread, that'd be great.  i don't want anyone to skim this thread and think that the skins are poor quality.  i don't want to hurt anyone's business if they don't deserve it!
2017-9-13
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

How is the reception of the GPS signals with the decals on? I found it interferes with my P3S GPS receptions. Maybe Spark is different.
2017-9-13
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

Got all the stickers installed. The battery is a little sketchy in the rear where the sticker seam is. Bunches a little. The worst spot is around the motor. I couldn't get it on without bunching it at the top. Well hidden by my landing gear tho
IMG_20170913_192505052.jpg
2017-9-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

WickedWingman Posted at 2017-9-13 12:49
i'm officially retracting all my above statements.  i just successfully installed the battery sticker.  i don't know what my problem was last time, but it fits fine now.

if a moderator is capable of removing this thread, that'd be great.  i don't want anyone to skim this thread and think that the skins are poor quality.  i don't want to hurt anyone's business if they don't deserve it!

You could edit your intro statement?
Put a clearing word on top of it?
2017-9-13
Use props
NewGramps
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115112 ft
Malaysia

I have a set from Decal Girl. Look good. Provides some extra protection against scratches and scrapes. Mine fit fine.
2017-9-13
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-9-13 17:47
You could edit your intro statement?
Put a clearing word on top of it?

how do i do that?  i can't even edit previous replies.  apparently, the edit option goes away almost immediately.
2017-9-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

WickedWingman Posted at 2017-9-14 03:32
how do i do that?  i can't even edit previous replies.  apparently, the edit option goes away almost immediately.

Are you on iOS or a forum app?
On android and PC I can edit my posts like "forever"
2017-9-14
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

fixed it!  apparently it was my status in the forum.  just got upgraded this morning, and now i can edit old stuff!
2017-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules