Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Denied Entry with Mavic/Copter at Airport?
2825 25 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious, has anyone or know of anyone that has had the experience of TSA preventing you to take the Mavic/Copter on a flight ?

I would hate to go all the way to the airport to be denied entry with the quadcopter at the security screening area. I know about the battery reduction power below 30% and having the connections sealed and bagged but wondered if they would even stop you and prevent you from boarding?

Please share your experience.

Thanks
2017-9-12
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

I've flown multiple times but throughout Europe - therefore cannot say for sure about TSA. However normally that was not a problem at all - I had my Mavic and remote in main luggage, batteries in a LiPo bag in carry-on and there were no problems at all at any time. They didn't even look at the batteries so far but of course they always can and so having them with one light out four only and with covered contacts is not a bad idea.

Happy flying in all modes ;-)
2017-9-12
Use props
DocAraxá
First Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear Sportbike_Pilot,
But you should look for some threads here, as they indicate some major problems, mainly at Central America and Asia.
Cheers.
2017-9-12
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

No issues flying within the USA or flying to and from Germany.
2017-9-12
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Nope.......Been on a trip just recently from SMF->SFO-HNL (multiple islands) and back w/ no issue w/ TSA.
Oooops!forgot to mention, initial screening @ TSA checkpoint @ SMF my hard case was scanned 2x by TSA then was asked to open it.
Since it was my 1st time to travel w/ it, thought I'm in trouble, they swab the thing, inspected visually....next thing I know TSA guy telling me "HAVE A NICE FLIGHT".
Whew! I was so relieved, I was thinking here he come to take me to that secluded room and wait for my fate till eternity.
2017-9-12
Use props
Hotelone4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47320 ft
United States

My impression was  that the controller needs to go in your carry-on with the other batteries due to the Li-Po inside it.
2017-9-12
Use props
el pelo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

I've traveled around the US and Europe recently with both the spark and mavic. No one has ever asked or bothered me about it. I just leave it in my carry on bag.

I do always discharge the batteries before taking them on an airplane.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-9-12 06:33
Nope.......Been on a trip just recently from SMF->SFO-HNL (multiple islands) and back w/ no issue w/ TSA.
Oooops!forgot to mention, initial screening @ TSA checkpoint @ SMF my hard case was scanned 2x by TSA then was asked to open it.
Since it was my 1st time to travel w/ it, thought I'm in trouble, they swab the thing, inspected visually....next thing I know TSA guy telling me "HAVE A NICE FLIGHT".

"Since it was my 1st time to travel w/ it, thought I'm in trouble, they swab the thing, inspected visually....next thing I know TSA guy telling me "HAVE A NICE FLIGHT"."

Okay good to know. Yeah I would've probably felt the same. Plan to travel within CONUS but wouldn't want any issue and be told you can't board with copter; then what in the world would one do?
2017-9-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

el pelo Posted at 2017-9-12 07:13
I've traveled around the US and internationally recently with both the spark and mavic. No one has ever asked or bothered me about it. I just leave it in my carry on bag.

I do always discharge the batteries before taking them on an airplane.

" I just leave it in my carry on bag."

Good to know b/c I'd rather take it in my carry-on bag. Of course I'd take the precaution with batteries.
2017-9-12
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I've been traveling all summer long. And I've had no problems a getting anywhere with my Mavic. I have a lipo bag. Where all the batteries stay. The only thing I've been asked is what is this.
2017-9-12
Use props
randy.sauder
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Multiple flights in USA and across EU...no issues and I travel with 7 LiPos in carry-on.   Never an issue.
2017-9-12
Use props
Vollengen
Norway

Do you have to have the Lipo bag?
2017-9-12
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flew from Ohio (DAY) to Phoenix (PHX) without any incident either way.  I used a Lowepro NOVA 2AW bag that I used to use with my DSLR camera.  I did get the stick protectors online to make sure the RC sticks didn't get shoved around.  It is slightly larger than the DJI bag and carries everything in the fly more package plus some additions, and it was better padded and protected.  I looked like anyone on vacation with a good camera.  I really expected them to want to look at it, but they didn't.
2017-9-12
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Vollengen Posted at 2017-9-12 09:15
Do you have to have the Lipo bag?

It's not required but good safety precaution.
2017-9-12
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

my suggestion is dont tell them you are carrying mavic on board.. no requirment by the FAA to do so, each battery is under 50watt hours, and it is your prersonal property.  if its carry on just keep it in your bag.  as for battery discharging, i think people fail to realize the limit is a per battery thing, 43wh isnt pushing limits per battery.. i think the limit per battery is something like 50wh.     if you dont intent on carrying it on, and using checked luggage,  i suggest you buy a pelican impact resistant case (glass fiber re-enforced for the win) and put a quality non tsa approved lock on it that isn't huge but large enought the only way in would leave marks.. thus deter theiving TSA agents away    remember, TSA on many many occasions are known for stealing, do not give them the opportunity if you are not checking the bag in as carry on.. just make sure you apply a permanent tag to that case as well so they can't claim it as abandoned..    i myself have had laptops, cameras, iPads and other stuff picked out by TSA's grubby little fingers from my checked luggage because they can pop zippers around lock and if you use weaker TSA approved locks they can simply shim them or pick them , all TSA approved locks are seriously weak security,..
2017-9-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

"buy a pelican impact resistant case"

Sure do own one. GPC.  I think it's so much more convenient and yeah does look like it's a large camera equipment as Bill pointed out. For me I wouldn't want to put in luggage but instead carry-on for my own peace of mind. Good to hear the positive experiences you guys have had.
2017-9-12
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

TSA don't care at all.  There's nothing magic about a Mavic.  Its a consumer toy with a battery.
The batteries are well below the power output where restrictions start to kick in so basically, do whatever you want.  
I've been through US airports with the drone, controller and all my spare batteries in the flymore back in hang luggage and i've gone through with all of it thrown in the hold.  No issues at all.
They've got more important things to worry about (or in the case of Miami, more important things to steal out of other peoples bags).
2017-9-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-9-12 16:15
TSA don't care at all.  There's nothing magic about a Mavic.  Its a consumer toy with a battery.
The batteries are well below the power output where restrictions start to kick in so basically, do whatever you want.  
I've been through US airports with the drone, controller and all my spare batteries in the flymore back in hang luggage and i've gone through with all of it thrown in the hold.  No issues at all.

"I've been through US airports with the drone, controller and all my spare batteries in the flymore back in hang luggage and i've gone through with all of it thrown in the hold.  No issues at all."

Encouraging to know , YAHOOOOOO !   
2017-9-12
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wife and I flew from RNO to LAX and LAX to RNO with my mavic as a carry on with no problem.  For my two extra batteries I had them in a Lipo bag which the TSA guy had no idea what the bag was for.
2017-9-12
Use props
Gary Mac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

I've flown 4 times with my Mavic. All from east coast to MT (twice), HI and FL. Never a question about the drone or batts in carry-on. I think I'm 50/50 for added Bag check coming through TSA, but that is due to electronic density in my backpack.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up guys. Looking to secure a few of those Lipo bags, cap the ends and bring on the MP for my next vaca-adventure.
2017-9-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Hotelone4 Posted at 2017-9-12 07:01
My impression was  that the controller needs to go in your carry-on with the other batteries due to the Li-Po inside it.

I thought I read that the controller has a Lithium Ion battery, not Lithium Polymer.  No need for a high current source like a LiPo for the controller.  Someone confirm?
2017-9-28
Use props
gabriel.magana
lvl.1
Flight distance : 177254 ft
United States

As far as the government regulations go, they only care about the batteries and not about the drone itself.

There's this myth going around about requirement of not having charged batteries or charged at 30%, or whatever. I'm not an engineer, so I cannot comment on the technical merits, but the FAA for sure does not care.

Read the actual regulation here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... s_and_batteries.pdf

There are some batteries that you MUST carry-on with you, and they cannot be in checked baggage, so read the above PDF carefully.

Aside from that, airlines can make their own rules, as can other countries, so watch out for that as well. From all I've seen, it's best not mention traveling with a drone unless you are specifically asked, because people (ie, airline employees) who don't know all the rules will err on the side of safety and put additional restrictions on you or not let you travel. I've seen several horror stories about this.
EDIT: Also, here's the official TSA stance on drones on carry on or on checked baggage: "Drones are allowed through the checkpoint. Please check with your airline for their policy.".

See https://www.tsa.gov/travel/secur ... ibring/items/drones
2017-9-28
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-12 10:55
"buy a pelican impact resistant case"

Sure do own one. GPC.  I think it's so much more convenient and yeah does look like it's a large camera equipment as Bill pointed out. For me I wouldn't want to put in luggage but instead carry-on for my own peace of mind. Good to hear the positive experiences you guys have had.

You better go check what TSA says about transporting Lipo batteries.  There are different restrictions on battery sizes and what can be hand carried vs luggage bay.  As I read it, you can not put any type of Lithium battery in the luggage bay.  They must be handcarried.  The drone and its peripherals can be put in luggage (but not Lipo batteries),

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06 ... batteries-your-trip

Having had my skis go on to Seattle, when we got off at Reno - I always hand carry expensive devices. Theft, Loss, and oops sent somewhere else are issues with packed bags.  My little camera bag (just a little bit larger than the one from DJI, didn't raise an eyebrow at TSA.
This one might be better guidance:  https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... s_and_batteries.pdf
2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gabriel.magana Posted at 2017-9-28 10:46
As far as the government regulations go, they only care about the batteries and not about the drone itself.

There's this myth going around about requirement of not having charged batteries or charged at 30%, or whatever. I'm not an engineer, so I cannot comment on the technical merits, but the FAA for sure does not care.

"batteries that you MUST carry-on with you, and they cannot be in checked baggage

it's best not mention traveling with a drone unless you are specifically asked,"

Yeah I def would take along with my carry-on stuff. There's no way in hell I'm going to volunteer 'oh look at what I have' lol but I'm sure there are some who would do just that.
2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-9-28 11:22
You better go check what TSA says about transporting Lipo batteries.  There are different restrictions on battery sizes and what can be hand carried vs luggage bay.  As I read it, you can not put any type of Lithium battery in the luggage bay.  They must be handcarried.  The drone and its peripherals can be put in luggage (but not Lipo batteries),

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06 ... batteries-your-trip

Absolutely. Where I come from, there's an old saying...'don't sleep on nobody'.
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules