21366 51 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Hi fellows...

... AutoPilot has updated and now it supports Spark.

Are anybody using it?

If so, what is the opinions? Works okay?

What it brings in terms of new functionalities?

2017-9-12
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

Autopilot interface is really confusing. My bet is on Litchi (when they have way points, until then)
2017-9-12
Use props
Jr 5542
lvl.3
United States

Does it have more functions than the Dji go app?
2017-9-12
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

Yes. Waypoints!!!
2017-9-12
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101220 ft
Canada

Wondering how you set RTH on 3rd party apps like Litchi and AutoPilot - do you have to open DJI GO first and startup / launch drone until Home Point set (and then force close and load others) - or does the hardware do it on startup automatically - (would it do this anyway for gesture mode)
2017-9-12
Use props
moh_rafiudeen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328957 ft
United States

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-12 13:15
Wondering how you set RTH on 3rd party apps like Litchi and AutoPilot - do you have to open DJI GO first and startup / launch drone until Home Point set (and then force close and load others) - or does the hardware do it on startup automatically - (would it do this anyway for gesture mode)

I heard waypoints are not supported by litchi for spark? was there any new update that litchi supports waypoint for spark?
2017-9-12
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I would like to know if is is techinically possible to upload waypoints to the spark. Can Autopilot do that?
So the route completes even when the RC links fails (which it does all the time). The Spark would need to delay return to home until
either the route is complete or the battery is low.

I wan’t to fly all the way along the edges of the airfield I use. The farthest point is 400 meters away.
After about 30 attempts,  it has never succeded.
Same scenario every time:
RC looses connection -> AC starts returning home -> I switch the RC off (to kill the buzzer) and wait for the AC coming back.
2017-9-13
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-12 13:15

Wondering the same thing....
2017-9-13
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

heliman Posted at 2017-9-13 01:58
I would like to know if is is techinically possible to upload waypoints to the spark. Can Autopilot do that?
So the route completes even when the RC links fails (which it does all the time). The Spark would need to delay return to home until
either the route is complete or the battery is low.

I don´t know if Spark has the ability to do that. (other DJI drones do have).

Autopilot states that we may have full link to the drone during the whole time to this to work.

Autopilot also states that it´s "negine" works way better than DJI´s, but it resides on the mobile device (an not on the AC).
2017-9-13
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Autopilot also states that it has a LCMC (Lost Connection Mission Continuation) feature if using the DJI RC.
If that should work with the spark, is has to remember the waypoints. But it is not mentioned if does.
2017-9-13
Use props
kn0xster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 266198 ft
Switzerland

I've tried the beta Autopilot a few times. Never really had much success with it. Had to intervene with manual controls on a couple of occasions where the Spark seemed to have a mind of its own. I could never seem to find the flight logs from Autopilot either to see what was going on. I would be interested to try Litchi  though when they add waypoints.
2017-9-13
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Canada

kn0xster Posted at 2017-9-13 04:13
I've tried the beta Autopilot a few times. Never really had much success with it. Had to intervene with manual controls on a couple of occasions where the Spark seemed to have a mind of its own. I could never seem to find the flight logs from Autopilot either to see what was going on. I would be interested to try Litchi  though when they add waypoints.

Thats similar to my experience - (using official release 4.2 where the changelog says added Spark support) - a number of times I had to quit AutoPilot and launch DJI GO (and then still switch to sport mode and back) to gain control of the Spark when AP lost it - mixed results - mostly got it to work in Blackbox, Focus and Orbit but was really weak at recovery when the Spark lost the controller / app even briefly - they need to work on this - if GO can recover quick then any other app using the SDK should be able to as well - to me it still feels like beta (hopefully will stabilize with future releases) - I think it would be possible for DJI to add the waypoint upload feature to the Spark (like Phantom3,4, Mavic and others) but they may simply choose not to as that is still an upgraded selling feature on the other quads. This would really help with 3rd party apps (like AP and Litchi) but where's the incentive for DJI to do it - when you go back to GO after using AP it feels super stable and responsive (in same flight area under same conditions). - like Adriano (the original poster said) AutoPilot does now support Waypoints on the Spark but needs to be in constant communication (thru the remote) to the Spark and the chances of that link breaking down seem high at the moment rendering the Spark hovering in the air not responding to any control - I will try it in some other areas - it puts into question the usefulness of that feature at all if you really can't use it successfully anyway - maybe others have had better results - will keep testing and reporting - AP is a superpowerful app - haven't tried Litchi yet - you also really should do all your planning and flight plan prep on the ground before even booting up Spark as the battery life is much shorter than the larger DJI quards (for this type of longer mission thing, fine otherwise) the AP docs and flight tutorials need updating to include the Spark and their community forum looks pretty sparse - found more info on this forum and sparkpilots.zone than on their site...
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I'll stick with DJI GO4 for now.  I've spent all this time learning everything about and still learning.  Moving to an other app might just cause me some stress; and i try to avoid stress, hense the reason i fly my spark
2017-9-13
Use props
Jr 5542
lvl.3
United States

Other than not having waypoints Dji go4 works well for me.
2017-9-13
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

I am still too much of a rookie to try any 3rd party software for live flights.  Call me "chicken" but so far I have been pretty successful.

I did switch to an iPad since my eyesight was not good enough to use my iPhone.  At my age using reading glasses to fly and see the screen did not seem like a good combination.
2017-9-13
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-13 05:21
Thats similar to my experience - (using official release 4.2 where the changelog says added Spark support) - a number of times I had to quit AutoPilot and launch DJI GO (and then still switch to sport mode and back) to gain control of the Spark when AP lost it - mixed results - mostly got it to work in Blackbox, Focus and Orbit but was really weak at recovery when the Spark lost the controller / app even briefly - they need to work on this - if GO can recover quick then any other app using the SDK should be able to as well - to me it still feels like beta (hopefully will stabilize with future releases) - I think it would be possible for DJI to add the waypoint upload feature to the Spark (like Phantom3,4, Mavic and others) but they may simply choose not to as that is still an upgraded selling feature on the other quads. This would really help with 3rd party apps (like AP and Litchi) but where's the incentive for DJI to do it - when you go back to GO after using AP it feels super stable and responsive (in same flight area under same conditions). - like Adriano (the original poster said) AutoPilot does now support Waypoints on the Spark but needs to be in constant communication (thru the remote) to the Spark and the chances of that link breaking down seem high at the moment rendering the Spark hovering in the air not responding to any control - I will try it in some other areas - it puts into question the usefulness of that feature at all if you really can't use it successfully anyway - maybe others have had better results - will keep testing and reporting - AP is a superpowerful app - haven't tried Litchi yet - you also really should do all your planning and flight plan prep on the ground before even booting up Spark as the battery life is much shorter than the larger DJI quards (for this type of longer mission thing, fine otherwise) the AP docs and flight tutorials need updating to include the Spark and their community forum looks pretty sparse - found more info on this forum and sparkpilots.zone than on their site...

Autopilot with waypoints, you can "program" to return home in case of communication failure between SPARK and RC. I need to go to a nice open area and sometime try AutoPilot myself. I have the software installed , but still did not have a chance to try. For me "waypoints" is a very nice feature. Not sure about Autopilot, but, Litchi, (not for SPARK) is smart to calculate if your trip at X velocity will be safe to fly having in mind the fly time of the bird, and have time to return home.
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Please notice that I would not recommend pilots use the third party software as it voids the warranty, you can check more details through our disclaimer and safety guidelines.
disclainmer and warning.png
2017-9-13
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-13 21:59
Please notice that I would not recommend pilots use the third party software as it voids the warranty, you can check more details through our disclaimer and safety guidelines.

Thanks Elektra - understood - but DJI has released an SDK / API for 3rd party developers to use - correct ?
2017-9-14
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spark's short battery life and limited distance really doesn't make it much of a waypoints drone.  Just my opinion.
2017-9-14
Use props
vpiedade
lvl.1
Brazil

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-9-14 04:42
Spark's short battery life and limited distance really doesn't make it much of a waypoints drone.  Just my opinion.

I disagree with you. Planning a complex shot, around you, waypoints could help you. But for me, zip line and Course Lock will be more useful....
2017-9-14
Use props
nwhit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

I've tested the AP beta and found that it crashes when using an iPad mini 3 or iPhone 6 with the RC. AP beta team confirmed that it requires new hardware, so a no go for our company. Just got notice today of a new beta, so may give that a short try.

Have had no issues with latest GO4, but have had issues with Litchi.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-14 04:36
Thanks Elektra - understood - but DJI has released an SDK / API for 3rd party developers to use - correct ?

Spark supports SDK. However, if users use the third party software and have a crash, we will need to analyze the data to locate the responsibility.
When the drone is unable to provide the data, we will not ensure warranty.For example, failing to turn on or lost.
2017-9-14
Use props
Imran W
lvl.1
Flight distance : 376476 ft
Pakistan

I would rather wait for Litchi to offer this feature for Spark. I tried looking at AP interface and it's way too complex - adequate for Mavic and Phantom drones with their longer battery life.
Litchi is simpler and once Waypoints work for Spark you can plan a shot that takes 7 to 10 minutes and safely land the Spark back.
One more thing - I wouldnt recommend using DJI GO4 and Litchi at the same time. It's not recommended. Infact I would properly exit (not even have DJI GO4 running in background) before using Litchi.
2017-9-15
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Canada

Imran W Posted at 2017-9-15 01:48
I would rather wait for Litchi to offer this feature for Spark. I tried looking at AP interface and it's way too complex - adequate for Mavic and Phantom drones with their longer battery life.
Litchi is simpler and once Waypoints work for Spark you can plan a shot that takes 7 to 10 minutes and safely land the Spark back.
One more thing - I wouldnt recommend using DJI GO4 and Litchi at the same time. It's not recommended. Infact I would properly exit (not even have DJI GO4 running in background) before using Litchi.

Yea - you should not use DJI GO and any 3rd party (flight control) app at the same time - (whether it be Litchi or AutoPilot etc) - to pull off some of the more complex Modes (flight missions) like waypoints AutoPilot uses its own flight controller (in the app) which is why it need needs constant communication with the Spark (as they are off boarding this from its controller) which also explains some of the things I've seen when it looses the remote - agreed AP is more complex than Litchi - was watching some of the training vids on Youtube, extremely powerful but like you said some modes (like waypoints) may be better suited to longer flying aircraft like the Mavic and Phantom etc. (almost tempted to pick up even an older used P3 just to try some of this stuff out) - having said that I'm still going to try AP Waypoints mode on my Spark (with a shorter mission) and record the results.
2017-9-15
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-13 21:59

That is already too funny. Look we provide SDK to third parties, BUT, if your drone is lost using a third party that uses OUR SDK provide to the third party, is your loss.

So DJI doesn't do any certification to third party that uses own DJI SDK?

I even saw some posts here from moderators, saying application X is unstable. If I was a third party developer , I would just , say, thanks, but I am not going to develop anything to use DJI drones anymore.

So, looks like the model is , "anything that we can use to avoid to give you warranty, we will do"
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

LOKY Posted at 2017-9-15 07:28
That is already too funny. Look we provide SDK to third parties, BUT, if your drone is lost using a third party that uses OUR SDK provide to the third party, is your loss.

So DJI doesn't do any certification to third party that uses own DJI SDK?

In there is a direct question that maybe the DJI moderators can answer.

DJI Moderators: if the DJI SDK is used to develop a third party product, is there a means/mechanism for that third party product to be certified?  If so, is there a list of products that have earned DJI certification?

LOKY:  There actually is a business case/model/purpose for providing "uncertifyable" support to the user community.  I am friends with one engineer for one product, and he said that they create back doors on purpose for the "hackers" to find and exploit.  They don't officially announce or support these backdoors, but the business purpose is to give this community a means of doing their own development, and therefore generate an "underground" community which generates interest and enthusiasm for the product.  This business knows that there are hackers, and has decided to unofficially "throw them a bone".  It's an inexpensive and low-risk way of getting that underground community to do things for the business.
2017-9-15
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Canada

Ok - I tried AutoPilot in a different location and it worked perfectly ! - I did a 5 point WayPoint MODE mission (changing altitudes, with multiple camera Focus triggers, interpolated camera views for smooth transitions), Zipline and Orbit with no issues at all (with Spark radio link communication) - recorded Spark cam video and Screen Record - will upload it and post a link... (very impressed with AP - made it easier to understand how to create a mode flight plan watching YouTube videos etc)  - so created the flight plans on the iPad (synced to my AP account then loaded on the iPhone to fly the mode missions handsoff in the field, after taking off and hovering around start point before engaging)

Here is the link -

The Pink 1 is the Start/End, The Blue Numbers (2,3,4,5) are the waypoints (with altitude in m inside), the Green Numbers are the Trigger focus points for the Spark Camera.

The video from the Spark looks a bit boring but I wanted to try this away from built up area etc - will find a more interesting subject next time.

2017-9-15
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
Hong Kong

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-13 05:21

Where is the incentive? Its with happy customers who like having the features of a big drone in a little one.  And who when they are happy, are more likely to upgrade to a bigger drone for reasons like range, weather factors (flying in higher wind conditions) that are less related to software improvements.   

I like my Spark for the fact that it is my 'learner drone', so anything I can learn to do and master on a smaller scale, will help me to eventually decide to upgrade to a bigger drone.

So, I think there is a huge incentive factor to putting out the ability to fly 'way points' and free the pilot up to managing the camera view
2017-9-15
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-9-14 04:42

Disagree, yesterday I was at a manufacturing facility that I manage. We are closing down and I wanted some aerial shots for our employees to remember where they worked.  

I flew for 10 minutes and took pictures, and made two laps around the plant from the air.  But if I had been able to use waypoints, I could have preprogrammed that flight path, and then just managed the videography.
2017-9-15
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Canada

phatav8r60 Posted at 2017-9-15 21:32
Disagree, yesterday I was at a manufacturing facility that I manage. We are closing down and I wanted some aerial shots for our employees to remember where they worked.  

I flew for 10 minutes and took pictures, and made two laps around the plant from the air.  But if I had been able to use waypoints, I could have preprogrammed that flight path, and then just managed the videography.

Well then consider AutoPilot - because as you see in the video I posted just above, waypoints with the Spark does work really well (under good radio link conditions) - the ability to plan all this on the ground before you arrive at the flying site (like I did on the ipad) lets you launch and go straight to a hover at the start point quickly to optimize battery life for the flight. - and you do not even have to "manage the videography" if you don't want to - I programmed this waypoint mode mission to start recording video on start and stop at mission end. With the focus triggers you can preplan all the shots in advance.
2017-9-16
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-16 03:54
Well then consider AutoPilot - because as you see in the video I posted just above, waypoints with the Spark does work really well (under good radio link conditions) - the ability to plan all this on the ground before you arrive at the flying site (like I did on the ipad) lets you launch and go straight to a hover at the start point quickly to optimize battery life for the flight. - and you do not even have to "manage the videography" if you don't want to - I programmed this waypoint mode mission to start recording video on start and stop at mission end. With the focus triggers you can preplan all the shots in advance.

Thanks for sharing, great news!
2017-9-16
Use props
catala
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

HI, i would like to know if AutoPilot  or Lichi allowes me to go further than with the remote, I'm acutally only getting around 400m away and i would like to know if i could plan a mission for example to go further than that and sucessfully coming back, so all the information is stored in the drone and not depending on the controller. Thank you so much!
2017-9-19
Use props
fansc0aba31a
New
United States

Hi
Is it safe to use the Spark in a mission with waypoints using only the app? I don't have the remote control...

Any advice?
2017-9-20
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Canada

fansc0aba31a Posted at 2017-9-20 07:59
Hi
Is it safe to use the Spark in a mission with waypoints using only the app? I don't have the remote control...

(As mentioned in other thread) - I think AutoPilot needs the remote and even if they don't mention that in their requirements, I would not recommend trying it without the remote.
2017-9-20
Use props
Mick92627
lvl.2
United States

I have been using Autopilot with the Spark and it has been working flawlessly.  

I have tried Zipline and, more extensively, Waypoint missions.  

I have created Waypoint missions directly in the Autopilot app and they fly great.  

And I have created Waypoints in Google Earth on my PC and imported the resultant KML file into Autopilot on the iPhone and those missions fly flawlessly as well.  I prefer that method, actually.

I am having a ball with the Spark/Autopilot combo.
2017-9-22
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Mick92627 Posted at 2017-9-22 07:11
I have been using Autopilot with the Spark and it has been working flawlessly.  

I have tried Zipline and, more extensively, Waypoint missions.  

Nice of them to support Spark. Now it's time they support Android finally...
2017-9-23
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Thinking about dji warranty,
I wonder if any of those 3rd part apps deliver DJI-approved logs.
2017-9-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-15 13:17
Ok - I tried AutoPilot in a different location and it worked perfectly ! - I did a 5 point WayPoint MODE mission (changing altitudes, with multiple camera Focus triggers, interpolated camera views for smooth transitions), Zipline and Orbit with no issues at all (with Spark radio link communication) - recorded Spark cam video and Screen Record - will upload it and post a link... (very impressed with AP - made it easier to understand how to create a mode flight plan watching YouTube videos etc)  - so created the flight plans on the iPad (synced to my AP account then loaded on the iPhone to fly the mode missions handsoff in the field, after taking off and hovering around start point before engaging)

Here is the link - https://youtu.be/qscsmHtXS-w

Thanks a lot. Great work.
Did you manage to make another one and possibly show the end result (like the real video)?
2017-9-26
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-26 12:58
Thanks a lot. Great work.
Did you manage to make another one and possibly show the end result (like the real video)?

thanks - Not yet - but I will
2017-9-26
Use props
Oyibo VFX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1134157 ft
Nigeria

Hey all

It's a little late but that is because I'm suffering from the same issues as basically mentioned above.
As I have over 800km flights with Autopilot (now beta 4.5.177) I can tell you the following
Autopilot does work only with if you use it WITHOUT any sort of OTG cable
That means WiFi. But then, some modes are working (Zipline, Orbit etc) if..... you are within the distance parameters
As soon as I connect my OTG cable, my Autopilot directly goes into RC Override Mode and it stops.
I have some Waypoint routes but they are too far from my home point and Autopilot does not react no more to the RC.
As soon as I connect the RC with the OTG cable, the Spark flies like a bird in DJI GO4 but not in Autopilot (except the BlackBox mode)
Strangely... Hangar 360 works just fine.
So, for any serious work with the Spark.... I guess it's just not gonna work
And that is a pity (but commercially understandable)
Ps, no issues with my Mavic's and Inspire 2

Oyibo
2017-11-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules