2573 26 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PilotSmith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706539 ft
  • >>>
United States

[size=14.666666984558105px]Best tablet/device to dedicate to mavic that works in the sun... Something that will not have a bad glare to it...
[size=14.666666984558105px]

2017-9-12
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Crystal sky....maybe.
2017-9-12
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

DJI Goggles are absolutely amazing in terms of visual clarity.  I have also had good luck with an iPad Mini4 and a sunshield or just a jacket over my head to provide shade.
2017-9-12
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-9-12 07:48
DJI Goggles are absolutely amazing in terms of visual clarity.  I have also had good luck with an iPad Mini4 and a sunshield or just a jacket over my head to provide shade.

Jacket over the head: Yeah! what tricky things we do to fly!
2017-9-12
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-12 08:05
Jacjet over the head: Yeah! what tricky things we do to fly!

Yeah, it all depends upon where the sun is. Many times I can shade the phone/tablet with my body or a rock out cropping.
2017-9-12
Use props
Cloud56
lvl.1
Brazil

Newer Samsung and Apple devices have very high brightness which should be best to use outdoors.

I'm thinking about getting a Xiaomi Mi Pad 2, due to it's aspect ratio (4:3).
2017-9-12
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

using a sun shade/sunhood is most ideal no matter how bright displays get.. the sun glare is very annoying.    that being said the best device i have used in near direct sunlight has been a tie between my GF's iPad pro 9.7 and her iPhone 7 followed by my Samsung galaxy S8 (which is a nightmare to use it crashes so much).. followed by my iPhone 5S, then my Moto G2, then my iPad mini 2 comes in sad last place for outdoor usability, sunshade does massively help however.  ipad mini 4 is supposed to be as good as iPhone 6S with outdoor usability, but i havent used one to know.  apple just announced new devices, iOS tends to be the best for stability with DJi go 4, so who knows if new iPhones will be better or just as good yet.
2017-9-12
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I got a matte screen protector for my iPad mini 4 and it does a good job cutting down the glare
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I believe the CrystalSky should be considered: http://store.dji.com/product/crystalsky?from=search-result-v2
2017-9-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

A relatively inexpensive option is something like the Hoodman or Hi Aerial Hood in combination with a MavMount or something similar.

My personal choice is something that's much less expensive than CrystalSky but also significantly more costly than the hood / mount combination, namely DJI's googles. They work great for flying during the day and generally provide a much better experience than any tablet ever will, though some people have complained about having to get corrective lenses (usually in the form of inexpensive reading glasses) to be able to focus on its screen.
2017-9-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You asked for the best option, Crystalsky is the best option, you can get many cheaper options using hoods , you can buy plenty of cheap tablets, but nothing is better and more comfortable than a crystalsky, it will also work with all other dji products now and in the future.
2017-9-13
Use props
MavPilot2
New
Flight distance : 4547 ft
United States

I use an iPad Pro with a sunshade, not only to control glare but to help with iPad temperatures when it's hot outside.  Had my iPad power off twice during flight due to very hot ambient temperatures (95+).  Spooky event.
2017-9-13
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

MavPilot2 Posted at 2017-9-13 10:43
I use an iPad Pro with a sunshade, not only to control glare but to help with iPad temperatures when it's hot outside.  Had my iPad power off twice during flight due to very hot ambient temperatures (95+).  Spooky event.

My iPad Pro 10.5" turned off one time when it was 93 degrees outside (I was in direct sunlight). I noticed the video feed suddenly started getting a bit choppy, which was strange because the Mavic Pro was very close to me. A few seconds later, the iPad Pro's screen went black and a message popped up saying that the iPad was too hot an needed to cool down. Then it shut off! I landed, gave the iPad Pro time to cool down, and flew again later.
2017-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Crystal Sky is exactly what you want
2017-9-13
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
New Zealand

The Crystal Sky will be best for what you are looking for, however its pretty expensive but it does have very high brightness and over build quality is extremely good, much more durable than regular tablets. The latest iPad mini 4 is better than the 2 and 3 as the screen is coated in anti glare material. The NVIDIA Shield K is meant to be a good tablet for DJI GO, however the glare on that is supposed to be really bad. You can always get a sunshade as well depending on what you end up going for. If you want you can check out a full list of some decent tablets here.
2017-9-22
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

MP DJI Hoody coupled with the 7Plus works well at this time but that Crystal Sky looks mighty tempting.
2017-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i'm not very interested in crystal sky myself...  after further researching it.. its just an over priced android tablet thats modified so it only does one thing..   im sure it does it extremely well but, in the end i'm struggling to justify the price tag vs functionality..  if DJi launched it at $250 new as it is, for 8 inches, absolutely get my thumbs up for it, 2 thumbs up in fact, $350, i be willing to buy it probably.. but anymore, like no thanks... but at $500-$600+ for 8 inches.. its holy hell no..

to those who had iPads turn off while flying, i am curious to learn more, i have yet to experience this on my iPads.. mini or the pro 9.7...choppiness i have seen on my mini 2 after about 30 minutes, it was 90F where i was just flying other day and the sun was inescapable...my ipad mini 2 got very hot i would say probably 110F.   video feed turned into like 15fps.. so while not pleasant still usable enough to bring it back before something happened.. but no power off event or thermal events..my GF's ipad pro 9.7 i also tried out, can't say it acted any different out in the sun with the hood on it..it did get fairly warm near the lighting port.. i think it was either left or right side of the lightning connector it got pretty warm but not alarmingly hot..

however my S8 is the king of terrible with this.. dji go already causes it to heat up a lot and rapidly drain the battery.. but other day, S8 started to smell like sweet strange smell of lithium offgassing, the electrolytes that are typically used smell sweet..  then the S8 just cut out and left green and white lines on my screen.. my first thought is, oh god my S8's battery is ballooning and cracked my amoled panel.. then tossed it (literally) away from us into the sand under bit of shade from a tree.. came back after i finished my flights using other devices,  and it turned back on for me again..
2017-9-22
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Sucks my s8+ runs great with dji go 1000 nits is exactly what crystal sky does also....note 8 is even brighter 1200 nits...for reference iphone x/10 is 625 nits
2017-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-22 22:08
Sucks my s8+ runs great with dji go 1000 nits is exactly what crystal sky does also....note 8 is even brighter 1200 nits...for reference iphone x/10 is 625 nits

im waiting for the iphone 10 to release so i can buy it outright and sell my S8 or destroy it im probably just going to destroy it.. use my drone to do it if i can find a way to reliable drop it with my mavic pro... take it out to an empty parking lot.. destroy it from 1000 feet AGL.. then leave it

not all about brightness either.. other ways to cut down on the sun, some more effective and clever, like using special polarization filters on the display panel or laminate.. i dont have any issues using my GF's iPhone 7 outside in sun, about equally usable as my S8, maybe the S8 edges it out slightly but, not enough that its worth my constant frustration.  

also for what it is worth, i'm not a ios or android fan, but everytime i go android, even as a second phone/project, i seem to have the worst luck ever..my S8 has been seriously the worst experiance of my life with android, it is enough that i may not consider another android device again after switching back to iOS..

2017-9-22
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Locoman Posted at 2017-9-12 14:34
I got a matte screen protector for my iPad mini 4 and it does a good job cutting down the glare

Good shout and not thought of sourcing one of those. Saying that I would have to prize my Mini 4 out of its Rhino cover to apply. Does the Matt protector work well..??
2017-9-22
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

My 50 cents - i use mini 4 and always look for shades to be in, but when there's none I care with me foldable umbrella ;)
2017-9-23
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-22 19:56
i'm not very interested in crystal sky myself...  after further researching it.. its just an over priced android tablet thats modified so it only does one thing..   im sure it does it extremely well but, in the end i'm struggling to justify the price tag vs functionality..  if DJi launched it at $250 new as it is, for 8 inches, absolutely get my thumbs up for it, 2 thumbs up in fact, $350, i be willing to buy it probably.. but anymore, like no thanks... but at $500-$600+ for 8 inches.. its holy hell no..

to those who had iPads turn off while flying, i am curious to learn more, i have yet to experience this on my iPads.. mini or the pro 9.7...choppiness i have seen on my mini 2 after about 30 minutes, it was 90F where i was just flying other day and the sun was inescapable...my ipad mini 2 got very hot i would say probably 110F.   video feed turned into like 15fps.. so while not pleasant still usable enough to bring it back before something happened.. but no power off event or thermal events..my GF's ipad pro 9.7 i also tried out, can't say it acted any different out in the sun with the hood on it..it did get fairly warm near the lighting port.. i think it was either left or right side of the lightning connector it got pretty warm but not alarmingly hot..

The Crystal Sky offers much more than the brightness level, it's 1080p res and has a full HDMI out which I use to connect to a 15" 12 VDC HD TV ( Velcros right to the back of my MP or P3P hard case) powered by a tiny Mini Max 20,000 mah portable power supply for third party viewing with full OSD on screen, friends, family & curious onlookers love it. I live in Florida, everyday in summer 95-98° extremely bright sunlight and the CS performs great, can't even see myself in the screen. Seamlessly matched to DJI products, never had a app crash, loss of video feed, has 2 micro sd slots for huge storage.
The only disadvantage I feel is you can't use 3rd party app such as Litchi as of yet.
And the price for the 5.5" if you look hard enough is $439.00 no tax & free shipping ( Ipad Mini 4 Wifi is $399+tax here in Florida), I have no  need for the more expensive 7.85" as I only use it for app control, sheeeeeeeeeet you could plug it into a 55" 4K UHD TV with a 1000W power inverter hooked to my car battery if you wanted to.
Another plus is it uses it's own intelligent flight battery so no more draining the controller while flying!

2017-9-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-9-23 01:20
The Crystal Sky offers much more than the brightness level, it's 1080p res and has a full HDMI out which I use to connect to a 15" 12 VDC HD TV ( Velcros right to the back of my MP or P3P hard case) powered by a tiny Mini Max 20,000 mah portable power supply for third party viewing with full OSD on screen, friends, family & curious onlookers love it. I live in Florida, everyday in summer 95-98° extremely bright sunlight and the CS performs great, can't even see myself in the screen. Seamlessly matched to DJI products, never had a app crash, loss of video feed, has 2 micro sd slots for huge storage.
The only disadvantage I feel is you can't use 3rd party app such as Litchi as of yet.
And the price for the 5.5" if you look hard enough is $439.00 no tax & free shipping ( Ipad Mini 4 Wifi is $399+tax here in Florida), I have no  need for the more expensive 7.85" as I only use it for app control, sheeeeeeeeeet you could plug it into a 55" 4K UHD TV with a 1000W power inverter hooked to my car battery if you wanted to.

i can do all that with my iPad mini 2 though, i have tested a lightning to HDMI/lightning splitter/dongle and while dji go app doesn't have a native video output mode for like apple tv or chromecast, using screen mirroring works ok.   it doesn't  cause any extra stalling, but the HDMI out is behind by maybe half a second at most.. but its vastly closer to 1:1 lag with my GF's iPad pro 9.7.. infact mirroring it is 1:1 as far as i can tell no delay from ipad screen and TV..

as for dual SD card slot, probably not something i need, a single slot maybe.. but all my storage is done on the drone, i tend to only cache a bit if at all..

size, i want a larger screen, that's why i picked up an iPad mini 2 used to use with my MP and not a used iPhone 6 or 5S...size and price meet my needs..

i dont disagree that crystal sky is probably really amazing, but...for the price, it costs half the cost of a brand new mavic pro, and more than 3 quarters the price of the refurbished mavic pro..  or, full price of a spark base model on low end and fly more package on high end..  the price works out better for inspire series and stuff but makes no sense for MP..

2017-9-23
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Crystal Sky.
2017-9-23
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 2017-9-23 00:58
My 50 cents - i use mini 4 and always look for shades to be in, but when there's none I care with me foldable umbrella ;)

or one of those funky umbrella hats........
2017-9-23
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

etch-a-sketch
2017-9-23
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

I use a sun shade off ebay  there all sizes on there it helps also coat over head works too   
2017-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules