Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PFrancis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi
Sorry but I have a question which will no doubt be a very simple one for most of you.
I bought a Spark combo and I'll be using it with my iphone SE which is a bit small so i was wondering if a NON cellular WIFI only tablet will work with it to its full capacity with regards to range etc.If I CAN use a non cellular device are there any limitations?
I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of a cheap but good tablet for the job.Bearing in mind I will ONLY be using it for the Spark.
Many thanks

2017-9-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a unique twist on a more common question:  Can the devices be used if one is outside of cellular service.  I think your question is a twist on that:  Can the app be used on a device that is not a cellular device (and contains only wifi for communications).  I seem to recall a few posts about people who installed the app on Amazon devices that match these parameters.

I've used my system outside of cellular service (and it worked flawlessly).  I can't claim that I've tried it on a purely non-cellular device.  I have used it on a cheap phone for which I did not activate the cell service (and I put it in airplane mode, then turned on wifi).  This device didn't work out perfectly, but that's because it was under-powered, not because it wasn't an activated cell device.

I think the answer is "yes" it will work, based on what I've read and heard and based on my similar (but not exactly the same) experiences.  I have an older amazon device that is wifi only, I can dig it up and test for a very specific test and confirm this, but I've talked myself into some confidence that this will work.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I have not tried a device with no cellular function such as wifi only ipad.  My son has an ipad mini that I could try and confirm your question.
2017-9-12
Use props
PFrancis
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From what I can see it seems some non cellular devices work but want to be sure really
2017-9-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes you can use non cellular device, however you need to be logged  into your app or flight will be restricted.
Many just use wifi iPad mini because it slots easily into RC .
2017-9-12
Use props
PFrancis
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-12 14:09
Yes you can use non cellular device, however you need to be logged  into your app or flight will be restricted.
Many just use wifi iPad mini because it slots easily into RC .

Thanks.
By the way what do you mean "logged into the app"?.I thought you wouldn't be able to fly at all without logging into th Dji Go app anyway
2017-9-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PFrancis Posted at 2017-9-12 14:31
Thanks.
By the way what do you mean "logged into the app"?.I thought you wouldn't be able to fly at all without logging into th Dji Go app anyway

You have some flight capabilities with just the drone (no app no rc) using gestures.  If you have a remote control you have additional flight capabilities, but you are under some distance restrictions.  I'm sure it's in the manual (which I've read twice and sections multiple times), but I've forgotten about the distance of these limits because I always connect to the app.  I think it's 30m distance and 20m up.
2017-9-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.

PFrancis,

CONFIRMED:  You can fly on a device that is not cellular.  I used a $40 Kindle Fire device that has only wifi, and NO cellular capabilities.  I flew fine, without restrictions.

The cheap Kindle Fire is woefully underpowered, and I wouldn't recommend using this specific tablet for the DJI GO 4 app, but it did work.
2017-9-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks.

You can fly but only 50 m distance and 30 m altitude or at least that's the way it used to be.
2017-9-12
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Simple answer. Best with cellular. Wifi connecting to Spark/RC, cellular to get realtime map data and updates. No cellular then you must cache map before flying. Even complicate to do update via Dji Go 4.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks.

Yes, you can fly without internet. Generally, I would recommend to put the mobile in flight mode.

The latest APP requires to login your DJI account and keep the status, do not log out manually, you will get rid of the distance limitation even though there is no internet.
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Good to know that you can fly without cellular .. just be careful before taking off.
2017-9-13
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-12 15:03
PFrancis,

CONFIRMED:  You can fly on a device that is not cellular.  I used a $40 Kindle Fire device that has only wifi, and NO cellular capabilities.  I flew fine, without restrictions.

Charles,
Does this device you tested with have GPS in it?  Assuming not, what is the behavior of the app in the RTH settings?  Does it still show both options for setting the Home Point to either the AC or RC location?  What does the map look like?  I assume it only shows just the GPS location of the AC and does not show your current location with your RC.

Thanks,
D
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Yes, you do not need cellular data for your mobile device. What should be considered though is to always make sure that your mobile device is one of the one's listed on the product page.
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-12 15:04
You can fly but only 50 m distance and 30 m altitude or at least that's the way it used to be.

It is that way if you are using your mobile device to exclusively fly the aircraft without a controller. It is best to use both to get the most out of your aircraft.
2017-9-13
Use props
brasda91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57159 ft
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-9-12 16:53
Simple answer. Best with cellular. Wifi connecting to Spark/RC, cellular to get realtime map data and updates. No cellular then you must cache map before flying. Even complicate to do update via Dji Go 4.

Stupid question: How do I cache the maps before I go out for a flight?

I too bought an inexpensive wifi tablet just for my Spark. So far, tests conducted indoors last night, the app ran fine. I'll go outside today and test it again.
2017-9-19
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

brasda91 Posted at 2017-9-19 07:25
Stupid question: How do I cache the maps before I go out for a flight?

I too bought an inexpensive wifi tablet just for my Spark. So far, tests conducted indoors last night, the app ran fine. I'll go outside today and test it again.

The answer depends on the platform of your device.

Android:  On the splash page, there is a "hamburger" controller in the upper right hand corner.  Under that is a menu option called "Offline Map".

iOS (not my platform, just what DJI has told us):  The app caches on the fly, any content that appears in the map during flight.  One needs to be flying, and then drag the map to any location that one wishes to cache.  This seems odd behavior to me, but it's what DJI has told us regarding caching on iOS.
2017-9-19
Use props
brasda91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57159 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-19 07:31
The answer depends on the platform of your device.

Android:  On the splash page, there is a "hamburger" controller in the upper right hand corner.  Under that is a menu option called "Offline Map".

Thanks Charles. I'm using an Android tablet. Yes I'm familiar with the hamburger menu. I'm headed outside now to start testing.
2017-9-19
Use props
Chris Church
lvl.1

United States

This is still being debated, with some saying the non-cellular iPads don't come with GPS, and that that would affect functions in Go 4 (I'm flying a Spark).  Is there any user manual or DJI-official web guidance on this?  I have a huge iPad 2 being repaired and think I'll Mavmount it.  It has cellular (I won't activate cellular on it), but I'd like to get a slightly smaller form factor in the iPad.
2018-2-19
Use props
hg87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117123 ft
Australia

You can fly only with the RC. You can also fly with a mobile device without cellular access but you won't have a map. Should not matter much though.
2018-2-19
Use props
djiuser_35ymB9CsQoBd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296112 ft
Croatia

Is cellular got some connection with GPS?
Mobile or tablet  without GPS---in that case, user can't fly in active track, also dynamic home point cant change perodically.. So in that case I have mobile phone android, and Ipad mini 2 only wifi when I dont need active track or Dynamic HP.
2018-2-19
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1761844 ft
United States

I plan on using an Ipad 4 mini wifi only with OTG cable.  I will connect the Ipad Mini to the internet using the hot spot from my mobile phone as internet connection to the Ipad Mini while flying my Spark.  Best of both worlds.
2018-2-19
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

Im New to DJI I have a spark a Controller and a android tablet without Cellular + and android phone.
   So- it appears that I have wasted $150 buying the tablet for the spark as the tablet has no Cellualr capability is this correct?
   and The phone also wont work with OTG so I have to hope wifi is always good is that right?
Why the heck doesnt DJI explain this at purchase point.
Really regretting buying DJI
2019-10-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT Posted at 10-28 20:23
Im New to DJI I have a spark a Controller and a android tablet without Cellular + and android phone.
   So- it appears that I have wasted $150 buying the tablet for the spark as the tablet has no Cellualr capability is this correct?
   and The phone also wont work with OTG so I have to hope wifi is always good is that right?

Does the tablet work with OTG?
If yes, you solution is to use OTG to the RC and wifi to a wifi (Hotspot fom your phone?)
Aside that you can do upgrades at home (doubt there are many, anymore) and download offline maps at home, too.

just: only 150$ for a tab, how are the specs?
2019-10-28
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-12 15:03
PFrancis,

CONFIRMED:  You can fly on a device that is not cellular.  I used a $40 Kindle Fire device that has only wifi, and NO cellular capabilities.  I flew fine, without restrictions.

I know its 2 years on so hopefully your still looking athe forum Can you advise IF RTH works with a non cellur Tablet or phone?
2019-10-29
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 10-28 22:34
Does the tablet work with OTG?
If yes, you solution is to use OTG to the RC and wifi to a wifi (Hotspot fom your phone?)
Aside that you can do upgrades at home (doubt there are many, anymore) and download offline maps at home, too.

Great Thanks that makes a ton of sense.

The $150 (AUD) lenovo E8" is great reasonable specss re CPU memory etc Micro usb port only. it connects via OTG cable or wifi and runs litchi and DJI Go 4 well . But just like the phone virtually impossible to see in sunny conditions even with a hat, a sunshroud and anti glare You have to get under shade to have a fighting chance of seeing the screen/app
2019-10-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT Posted at 10-29 18:47
Great Thanks that makes a ton of sense.

The $150 (AUD) lenovo E8" is great reasonable specss re CPU memory etc Micro usb port only. it connects via OTG cable or wifi and runs litchi and DJI Go 4 well . But just like the phone virtually impossible to see in sunny conditions even with a hat, a sunshroud and anti glare  You have to get under shade to have a fighting chance of seeing the screen/app

1GB Ram, only?
That seems to be a bottleneck!
And still on Android 7?

I have doubts, that it will be able to handle the stream and such, but good luck anyway.

Just : I'd suggest to use an older Go4 Version, go to apk mirror and download the 4.2.21 from there.
I run that Go 4 on my flight devices, it gets you (imho) all you need for the Spark.

And RTH has NOTHING to do, with a mobil phone connection.
Just with the GPS the bird finds and set the HP too!
So make sure, you just start the bird after "home point got updated, please check it on the map", and you should be good to go and come back
2019-10-29
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 10-29 22:37
1GB Ram, only?
That seems to be a bottleneck!
And still on Android 7?

Thats great news about the RTH thanks
2019-10-30
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

Thats great news about the RTH thanks. Yeah the tablet was purchased on a budget as I was not expecting I
would need a better Phone, tablet extra apps (like Litchi) etc etc to get its operation to near my Cheerson CX20 basics (which was all up half the price)
It is a quality product but very much hyped by the marketing. After extensive research Ive found many points are average such as Follow me etc
At the end of the day its an expensive selfie camera.without a lot of work.
2019-10-30
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I fly with my wifi only iPad mini.. works fine.. You won't have the maps and you won't have GPS (wifi ipad )  but it will work.
2019-10-30
Use props
djiuser_u7hRt3UikPfT
lvl.1
Australia

Some further information from the lady at DJI support. Others may see this abvious but being new to DJI product its wasnt for me.

The RTH (Return To Home) function in the DJI GO 4 app on the left ie with the arrow- the take off Home point works via the Sparks inbuilt GPS

The RTH function to the right -or Rather  the Return to current position (Controller+phone or tablet) needs the sim card cellular GPS system  to work.
2019-10-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I occasionally use my Ipad mini. Sometimes I turn on my phone hotspot to share internet, and sometimes I don't. The biggest difference I see is loading your map and locating NFZs. But both ways work pretty much the same otherwise.
2019-11-9
Use props
djiuser_EBls1Lsrc4rp
New

United States

Duke56 Posted at 2018-2-19 06:51
I plan on using an Ipad 4 mini wifi only with OTG cable.  I will connect the Ipad Mini to the internet using the hot spot from my mobile phone as internet connection to the Ipad Mini while flying my Spark.  Best of both worlds.

Hi,
Ive read your post about flying and using a ipad 4 mini w wifi only.  I plan to do this too.  Does the map features work well this way?
2020-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules