Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
laptop and editing software?
2856 20 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kgreen702
lvl.1
United States

So now that I have tons of footage from my last trip to Thailand , that I shot on my spark I am hooked. I would like to know what people are using for editing programs and what are good specs for a laptop to edit videos ? Right now I am just using the gopro program . It is super simple . I like the way it works and how easy it is . I am a beginner .
  Thanks for the input .
2017-9-12
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

I cannot comment about laptop specs (I do not own one), I do all my editing on my iMac. I have a Photoshop CC subscription, so I use Photoshop and/or Lightroom to edit all my still images. I did some research on video editing software available (I wanted something with similar capabilities to Adobe After Effects but at a MUCH lower price), and eventually settled on Wondershare Filmora (https://www.wondershare.net) which costs $59.99 for a lifetime license. I have only had Filmora for about a month, but so far am very happy with what it offers.
2017-9-12
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I use Wondershare also and highly recommend it.  It's easy to use for professional results.
2017-9-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can spend a ton of money on a good laptop, although the 1080p footage is more easy to render than 4K of course.
Personally I have been editing full HD software on a i7 laptop with 16Gb internal memory and a 500GB SSD for the software installed.
The footage is on a 1TB HD (internal) and it has a 2Gb videocard with a 17,3" monitor.
5 years old, still running nicely except when using a lot of post processing.
The memory is not needed for video editing, that is just for generating large panorama's and other photo editing work.
I do most of my editing on Sony Vegas Pro 14, (it has a cheaper little brother, I forgot it's name), but I want to test the free Da Vinci Resolve when I have the time.
2017-9-12
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-12
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2017-9-12
Use props
Anuvis
First Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

i use OpenShot Video Editor , CyberLink PowerDirector 15 (64-bit), Adobe Lightroom, Photomatix Pro 5.0.4 (64-bit), Microsoft ICE. laptop windows 10, 8gb ram, 1tera ssd intel i7 2ghz, nvidia geforce 840 m.All programs run smooth and fast....
2017-9-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Some years ago, I used pinnacle Studio on my Laptop. With a quad core and ~3Ghz clock, it should easily be able to handle FHD footage. I am thinking about gettin it again. It is easy and intuitive, was, at least. Pinnacle studio 20 ultimate, the last year version, should be available for little money, now.
2017-9-13
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I'm using Hitfilm Express 2017, the basic package is free and pretty capable, and you can buy add-on modules to open up even more options.  personally I'm in over my head with the basic setup but i understand other people do a lot more than I do.  
2017-9-13
Use props
LOKY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

Adobe Media Encoder , or WonderShare to re-encode SPARK video from the crap variable fps to true 29.97 fps. As video editor, Final Cut Pro X or DaVinci Resolve 14 (free version has almost everything you need). About your laptop, not meaning to start a war, go to MAC, stay away to MicroS(word) and you will be totally fine.
2017-9-13
Use props
SparkPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 83852 ft
Germany

El Diablo Posted at 2017-9-12 22:40
iPad Pro 12.9 2nd generation & Luma Fusion... faster than my iMac 5K and the software costs 15 times less than any pro editing version (iMovie and similar in PCs can only do a fraction of what Luma does). I cannot tell you what a difference it makes compare to a laptop, never going back.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds interesting.

One important thing when editing aerial videos is the ability to gradually speed up and slow down the video. Especially when you take video from great height things tend to look very slow. So for a whole scene from take off to touch down and incorporating some footage at greater height, you would start at 1x speed, increase speed over time and then decrease speed again to 1x at landing.

Unfortunately it seems Lumafusion does not allow to use keyframes for changing speed yet, which is necessary for smooth speed changes. Can you confirm this?
2017-9-13
Use props
LOKY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

SparkPete Posted at 2017-9-13 07:39
Thanks for the tip. Sounds interesting.

One important thing when editing aerial videos is the ability to gradually speed up and slow down the video. Especially when you take video from great height things tend to look very slow. So for a whole scene from take off to touch down and incorporating some footage at greater height, you would start at 1x speed, increase speed over time and then decrease speed again to 1x at landing.

iPad Pro uses iMove for editing , what sucks on SPARK (as SPARK uses a non-fixed 29.97 fps, and need to be re-encoded as fixed fps). I don't think iPad Pro has any software in the Apple store to re-encode video, just my 2c, go to the laptop route.
2017-9-13
Use props
SparkPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 83852 ft
Germany

LOKY Posted at 2017-9-13 07:48
iPad Pro uses iMove for editing , what sucks on SPARK (as SPARK uses a non-fixed 29.97 fps, and need to be re-encoded as fixed fps). I don't think iPad Pro has any software in the Apple store to re-encode video, just my 2c, go to the laptop route.

My post was about Luma Fusion mentioned by El Diablo. ;-)

But concerning iMovie (and FCP) issues with the frame rate of Spark videos, I've ran into this issue on my MacBook Pro with non-reecoded Spark video.

To my surprise iMovie on iOS didn't have the issue.
2017-9-13
Use props
realstreetuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Movavi Video Suite i use
2017-9-13
Use props
brian_b
lvl.3
United States

Hardware agnostic here - I despise fanboy wars. Iʻve worked on both PC and Mac, and at this point in my career, Iʻve worked on custom purpose built PCs for editing, and prohibitively expensive Macs and both can do the job comparably IMHO. Where I work, the editors do use Final Cut Pro X, though we do have Adobe subs and those will take over eventually. I use PC/Premiere at home and it does perfectly fine. One note, though, if you do use Premiere, youʻll need to set your sequence to 30 fps and interpret your imported footage 30fps non drop frame. You donʻt have to run it through anything and it will be smooth.
2017-9-13
Use props
DronerX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 488192 ft
United States

Photoshop on a Dell desktop with the fastest GeForce graphics card I could buy!
2017-9-13
Use props
Mark S
First Officer
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

I use ScreenFlow on a Mac.  https://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm

It does a great job but Mac only and $129.
2017-9-13
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2017-9-13
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2017-9-13
Use props
Ken-Rick
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18898 ft
Netherlands

Imovie free!  Ableton (paid) Dji mediamaker (panorama,free) Adobe premier/lightroom/photoshop
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the answers above, it is also a good idea to refer to other users experiences.
2017-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules