Can someone explain the 1080p (60/96fps) Aliasing issue?
1389 7 2017-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nick779
lvl.2
Flight distance : 459610 ft
United States

I just got my Mavic, have had no issues with the .700 it came with besides some one time odd compass errors (before and after a compass calibration) but nothing of note.

I want to film my local Multigp quad races in 1080p high FPS modes, but ive heard of all these weird sensor aliasing issues in 1080p 60+fps modes and am wondering if i made a mistake with this copter.

I did a brief search but didnt see anything, can someone explain it to me?
2017-9-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The skinny is the hardware can't handle full-res at framerates > 30fps.

That said I've seen videos that look ok at 60/96, it depends on your subject matter as whether or not you'll notice the aliasing.

2017-9-13
Use props
videoguy
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-13 08:32
The skinny is the hardware can't handle full-res at framerates > 30fps.

That said I've seen videos that look ok at 60/96, it depends on your subject matter as whether or not you'll notice the aliasing.

The aliasing can happen with any camera even a $50K broadcast camera and it can happen at any frame rate. The sensor has trouble handling real fine details and skinny straight lines like a railing, tiles on a roof, leaves of a tree,  or even a busy pattern on your tie or suit.
2017-9-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

This thread is probably the longest discussion on the issue: https://forum.dji.com/thread-72791-1-1.html
2017-9-13
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

videoguy Posted at 2017-9-13 10:27
The aliasing can happen with any camera even a $50K broadcast camera and it can happen at any frame rate. The sensor has trouble handling real fine details and skinny straight lines like a railing, tiles on a roof, leaves of a tree,  or even a busy pattern on your tie or suit.

Thats nice to know but not revelent to the question at hand.  None of my cameras (action) or othewise has the 1080P-60 poor video quality issue but my mavic has it BAD.  My P4 shoots just fine at this resolution and I consider 1080p-60 the sweet spot for my needs. It cuts back on a lot of editing and downgrading video.  I like to take the card directly from the drone and watch my video and 2K and 4K limits the ease of this.  
2017-9-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

the hardware can handle 1080P 60 natively..  i think the issue comes from the lack of resolution at 1080P and the limited bit rate that dji has given the image processing engine,  forcing compression.  

ig you fly over busy areas like cities with tight strong geometry and fine lines, 1080P 60 will suffer much more then if you are flying out over forested area or flowing water or something..

to be honest, if i had to use 1080P 60fps on mavic pro or P4P professionally what i would do would be a lot of post processing from C4K (17:9)  24FPS and using frame blending and interpolation to get to 60fps smoothness, then i would downscale C4K to cinema standard for 1080p i believe is 2048 x 1080 (17:9).  but that means i capture the most detail, make the most of limited bitrate, and get a razor sharp 1080P video because it was sampled at 4X its resolution.
2017-9-13
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think you will need to try it for yourself. I frequently video at 1080p 50fps (using Pal) and have no aliasing at all. In fact, the video is very good. I actually think it may have been improved in the firmware in recent releases as it wasn't  this good when I first got the Mavic 7 months ago.
I don't have a 4K TV so if I want to watch some of my video on the TV, I just use 1080p 50fps straight from the SD card out of the Mavic. Saves me having to recode 4K and the results are always great.
2017-9-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-13 20:42
I think you will need to try it for yourself. I frequently video at 1080p 50fps (using Pal) and have no aliasing at all. In fact, the video is very good. I actually think it may have been improved in the firmware in recent releases as it wasn't  this good when I first got the Mavic 7 months ago.
I don't have a 4K TV so if I want to watch some of my video on the TV, I just use 1080p 50fps straight from the SD card out of the Mavic. Saves me having to recode 4K and the results are always great.

i have a 4K TV, recent "premium" 4K TVs are really worth it..  side by side my high end 1080P TV it looks so stunning.     however just pulling footage off the mavic pro to the 4K TV without post processing it will look a bit "meh"   really need to do color grading work and fix up the extra noise comes with the highly processed videos.

as for 1080P 60fps aliasing on 4k TV is kind of stronger, no aliasing bothers me playing back in 1080P natively but playing back in 4K scale it is annoying.
2017-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules