Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,

Once in a while, some good news needs to be spread... "I flew as far as 3,200 feet away from the RC without a single video transmission problem or overheating."

As many of you know, I'm vocal about the ongoing problems with the Software/Firmware update of three months ago.   Although my P4 is still grounded due to bucking, my P4P was at least usable by running Litchi instead of DJIGO4 (due to DJIGO Video transmission errors and iPad Mini2 Overheating).

I posted to a different thread that I recently ran a test with DJIGO4  by turning off "Video Caching" on my iPad.  The result was that for the first time in three months, I was able to use DJIGO4 to fly my P4P.... no overheating and no video transmission errors at all.

So yesterday I had a big drone shoot to document a massive construction project.  I had to shoot a range of clips from tracking a massive grader (huge machine) at a 18" AGL to shooting a 93 acre site from high up.

The P4P with DJIGO4 were absolutely flawless for 2.5 hours of shooting, which used 7 batteries.  I flew as far as 3,200 feet away from the RC without a single video transmission problem or overheating.  Not a single black or green bar in 2.5 hours of flying.  (Normally since the updates, I am inundated with VT problems even when the bird is still on the launch pad)

Although there are still some issues with Automation (for example, "Tracking" only pans the P4p or tilts the gimbal, but the bird won't fly forward to maintain distance)... And the exposure changes to Auto when going into any automation mode, which can only be changed back to manual after rebooting everything... And the bird bucks around too much in all automation modes.... etc.)... but it was nice to be able to get back into DJIGO and have such an overall great experience with the flying that I needed to accomplish.

2017-9-13
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nice to hear....sounds like you are getting the puzzle parts right.
2017-9-13
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

May I ask what iPad model do you fly your P4P?
2017-9-13
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

WOW, 7 batteries!  And I was wondering if I needed to buy a 4th battery.  hahaha.  Now I don't feel so selfish.  Thanks for the info and update.
2017-9-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-13 10:49
WOW, 7 batteries!  And I was wondering if I needed to buy a 4th battery.  hahaha.  Now I don't feel so selfish.  Thanks for the info and update.

I bought (and use) my 4th battery... but I don't feel like I need a 5th.  
2017-9-13
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ROBERTO SMERA Posted at 2017-9-13 10:33
May I ask what iPad model do you fly your P4P?

iPad Mini 2.  I've been using it with the P4 for the past year without a problem, until the latest software/firmware updates.  Then everything went downhill and the iPad overheated.
2017-9-13
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-13 10:56
I bought (and use) my 4th battery... but I don't feel like I need a 5th.

Thats about where I was thinking about drawing the line.
I have a trip this winter to a tropical island with no electricity.  I want to make sure I have enough batteries to capture what i want for the trip.  I figured 4 batteries should be enough.
2017-9-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

For me it's plenty... But I don't make money off this either... If I was, and I had long shoots, then an extra 4 batteries is very warranted.
2017-9-13
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-13 12:28
For me it's plenty... But I don't make money off this either... If I was, and I had long shoots, then an extra 4 batteries is very warranted.

Four was plenty for a while... but with a gig, especially one where you have a lot of air time, 10 isn't even enough.

After I burned through the first 3, I put them on the DJI Car charger with three position base.  That was the first time I used the car charger... pretty cool.  When I blew through the other four batteries, I had some freshly charged if I had needed to fly longer.
2017-9-13
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-13 11:14
Thats about where I was thinking about drawing the line.
I have a trip this winter to a tropical island with no electricity.  I want to make sure I have enough batteries to capture what i want for the trip.  I figured 4 batteries should be enough.

Don't forget spare SD cards  -  4 batteries of 4K footage takes some space!
2017-9-13
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-9-13 12:34
Don't forget spare SD cards  -  4 batteries of 4K footage takes some space!

Absolutely.  
I'm looking to add a 128GB microCard to my 64GB and the cute little 16GB card that came with the P4P
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for your feedback. The things that you mentioned about the tracking, the drone only spin but will follow the subject to go forward, right? Or am I getting wrong? Could you please provide me with more details about it so I can understand more? Besides, please kindly note that it is normal the camera settings will go to the Auto mode when you initiate intelligent flight because the drone will choose the best settings to work with the intelligent flight mode.
2017-9-13
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-13 23:10
Thanks for your feedback. The things that you mentioned about the tracking, the drone only spin but will follow the subject to go forward, right? Or am I getting wrong? Could you please provide me with more details about it so I can understand more? Besides, please kindly note that it is normal the camera settings will go to the Auto mode when you initiate intelligent flight because the drone will choose the best settings to work with the intelligent flight mode.

Hi Thor,

As far at the tracking goes, the drone would not move from its position when tracking an object that was moving away from it.  The drone only panned in place and the gimbal tilted, but the drone wouldn't actually move to maintain distance to the subject, or move along with the subject.  This worked previously, but for some reason (even with a solid "GO" encircling the subject and a good location that should have easily allowed proper tracking), the drone stayed stationary.  I tried all three varieties of tracking with the same result.  This worked previously.

FWIW: I STRONGLY disagree with the POLICY of disabling manual camera settings when entering into a tracking mode.  The flight mode should not affect the photographers choices for camera exposure settings.  At the very least, there should be a general preference that allows the pilot to decide if he wants the camera to set to autoexposure when entering a tracking mode.  The drone is a mode of transportation for the camera.  A tracking mode allows for automation of the path of the drone and where the camera points.  This should not override a professional photographers ability to set exposure.  The two (path and exposure) are separate functions.

Setting aside the policy of cutting the photographer out of the exposure equation when in a tracking mode,  the bug was experienced after I left any of the tracking modes (and was back in "Normal" flight mode). The camera would continue to be locked in autoexposure and I could not get it to go back to manual unless I shut down everything and rebooted. (Its possible that I only needed to shut down the ipad mini, but I never tested that since I was on a job.  I just rebooted everything.)

2017-9-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-13 12:33
Four was plenty for a while... but with a gig, especially one where you have a lot of air time, 10 isn't even enough.

After I burned through the first 3, I put them on the DJI Car charger with three position base.  That was the first time I used the car charger... pretty cool.  When I blew through the other four batteries, I had some freshly charged if I had needed to fly longer.

Yeah.... I would like to figure out what things I could do to make money.... That would be an interesting topic / group
2017-9-14
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-13 10:49

Hi Captain Whitefoot!
Nothing selfish about this at all.  If you are just a hobby-flier, then the significant other might have a reasonable complaint about the cost of your hobby... but if you are professional (or aiming at being professional), then this is just an investment in your future.  Here is MY drone case with equipment...  (I bring two drones to my shoots, and my other case is identical with much of the same gear).

My drone pack

My drone pack
2017-9-14
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-14 05:43
Hi Captain Whitefoot!
Nothing selfish about this at all.  If you are just a hobby-flier, then the significant other might have a reasonable complaint about the cost of your hobby... but if you are professional (or aiming at being professional), then this is just an investment in your future.  Here is MY drone case with equipment...  (I bring two drones to my shoots, and my other case is identical with much of the same gear).

Thanks for the photo.  I just purchased my P4P a few months ago.  So little by little I'm expanding my list of equipment.  I'm looking into ways to use it as a business, but so far I haven't figured out how.  Good luck with your business.
2017-9-14
Use props
atrsd
lvl.1
United States

I just upgraded to firmware 01.04.0602 and it effectively killed my camera. Black - no image. The camera hardware is fine as I can still go through the calibration procedure on the PC. Both devices updated. Any ideas what to try next?
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-14 04:00
Hi Thor,

As far at the tracking goes, the drone would not move from its position when tracking an object that was moving away from it.  The drone only panned in place and the gimbal tilted, but the drone wouldn't actually move to maintain distance to the subject, or move along with the subject.  This worked previously, but for some reason (even with a solid "GO" encircling the subject and a good location that should have easily allowed proper tracking), the drone stayed stationary.  I tried all three varieties of tracking with the same result.  This worked previously.

Could you please provide me with the operating video for the interface of DJI GO 4 if possible? I would like to check more.
Besides, the camera settings will be reset to AF, but you can switch back to MF afterward so you can adjust EV settings. Hope it helps.
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good to hear!
Any change we are going to see anything from this project?
BTW, 7 batteries
2017-9-15
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-15 04:46
Good to hear!
Any change we are going to see anything from this project?
BTW, 7 batteries

Hi Montfrooij,   I am making a second sizzle reel, this one will be devoted to corporate projects (whereas my first sizzle reel is more of a beauty-reel).  Some of the clips I shot of the heavy machinery are SUPER-CINEMATIC, so they will absolutely be in my upcoming reel.  Probably still a month out from being show.  Thanks for asking.
Matt
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-15 08:01
Hi Montfrooij,   I am making a second sizzle reel, this one will be devoted to corporate projects (whereas my first sizzle reel is more of a beauty-reel).  Some of the clips I shot of the heavy machinery are SUPER-CINEMATIC, so they will absolutely be in my upcoming reel.  Probably still a month out from being show.  Thanks for asking.
Matt

Wow, looking forward to seeing that
Keep us posted!
2017-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules